Popular Tags: [View All]
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets say I am the runner and make a run on a server with an unrezzed piece of ICE. The corp player pays to unrez it and I dont have an ice breaker that can break it. However, in my hand I have the "Mod" event that gives a piece of ICE a number of keywords, one of which I happen to have an ice breaker with that keyword. Can I pay the click and play that mod during the run to mod that ice and then break it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No. Actions are always self-contained. Since a run is an action, no cards can be played during a run, and no paid abilities requiring actions may be used.

Non-action paid abilities may be used (ice breakers for instance) and the Corp can rez cards that were already installed at the start of the run in order to use them if applicable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
argus88 wrote:
No. Actions are always self-contained. Since a run is an action, no cards can be played during a run, and no paid abilities requiring actions may be used.

Non-action paid abilities may be used (ice breakers for instance) and the Corp can rez cards that were already installed at the start of the run in order to use them if applicable

Thanks, I thought so but it came up in a game today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The only "instants" in this game are paid abilities, which are printed on cards already installed. Those abilities may be used during runs unless they cost a click (Rulebook, p.21). Event cards aren't paid abilities, they are cards, and require a click to play.

You would need to play Modded Tinkering before your run to get any benefit from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook, page 15:

Whenever the Runner spends clicks on one of these actions, he
is considered to be taking an action and cannot take another
action until the current action fully resolves.

-=-=-

In short, if it takes a click to make it happen, 'it' cannot be embedded in a different click.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Rulebook, page 15:

Whenever the Runner spends clicks on one of these actions, he
is considered to be taking an action and cannot take another
action until the current action fully resolves.

-=-=-

In short, if it takes a click to make it happen, 'it' cannot be embedded in a different click.

The clicks payed to get past AI ICE seem to be an exception to this. Yeah, yeah, golden rule and all that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bricker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mark_biggar wrote:
The clicks payed to get past AI ICE seem to be an exception to this. Yeah, yeah, golden rule and all that.

The clicks the runner spends on things like the HB ICE and Enigma* are not being spent on actions. Page 21 states that spending clicks on a paid ability makes it an action. The rule on page 15 states that actions are forbidden from being activated until the previous action is complete, not the spending of clicks.

It is further important to note that all paid abilities follow the "[cost]:[effect]" formula. If it lacks a colon, it is not a paid ability.

*EDIT: Enigma was a bad example to include since that's an ability that says "lose a [click]." Not something the runner pays. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.