Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Bussick
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
You want to know something? I don't think Mozart's going to help at all.
mbmbmbmbmb
After a great week, it is my great pleasure to nominate...Dug! Er, I mean...Steve Duff as the next Geek of the Week!

Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I chose Steve, firstly, because he is everywhere on the Geek. Secondly, because he has saved me a lot of money, and doesn't even know it.

Steve is an extremely active poster here. He posts in so many forums...I'm not sure he has a job! (Well, perhaps he has a job, but he sure has a lot more energy than me! ) He is one of the first to help with rules questions, and that is something very valuable to me.

One of my main uses of BGG is reading user reviews. Steve's interests match up quite close to mine, so one bad mark from him is worth five from anyone else. And that has saved me from buying some games, only to be disappointed.

And I still like him, even though he has a thing against Christopher Nolan!

Here is Steve's introduction...
Steve Duff wrote:
Firstly, I'd like to both congratulate William on his being named Geek of the Week, and thank him for choosing me to be his successor. It is truly an honour to be included in the impressive list of BGG personalities that have been chosen for GotW. Not bad for someone whose main claim to fame is spending way too many hours browsing BGG each day!

About me: I'm a middle age, balding, white male who could stand to lose a few pounds, pretty much your prototypical BGG user. I grew up on Vancouver Island in B.C., and now live in Ottawa with my lovely wife Deb. I'm a house husband, staying home to take care of things such as cleaning, the odd meal (and if you tasted them, you'd say they were odd too), home repair, and our cat Elwood P. Sadly, her brother Harvey died a few years ago (bonus points if you get the reference). Other than board games, travelling is our big love. We try and take several vacations a year, in November we'll be visiting Disney World and then flying directly to BGG.con.

Early Geek Leanings: As a kid, I played many of the standard games like Monopoly, Battleship etc, and still have fond memories of the lesser known games of the time such as Chaos, Pivot Pool, and Sub Search. I used to visit my grandmother a lot, and while the adults were doing their thing, I would amuse myself by playing solitaire games of Backgammon and Pay Day by playing both sides. It's amazing what kids can do to entertain themselves.

Near Misses: Like most, my gaming lapsed as teenage and early adult years set in. In college, a buddy from my computer class had an interesting package out on the table when I visited him. It was some sort of graph paper with little cut out cars on it. He explained how you designed your car with armour and weapons, then battled on the road or arena. I said "Oh, like Autoduel". I never saw his copy of Car Wars again, he probably thought I was a total idiot thinking the computer game came first.

I used to play computer games a lot with another friend in college, and one day he asked if I played other games (that sounds like a bad Penthouse Forum letter). He said he was going to bring over a game to play that he really loved the next time he visited. So he comes over, hauls out this box and it's got a ton of books in it and something like a million chits, and he starts telling me all about what they mean (see, this icon means this is infantry, and this is a tank...) We talk about this thing for hours with me totally overwhelmed and having no clue as to what any of it really means, not learning a thing about how to actually play the game, let alone starting to play it. Finally after three hours of "intro" he says "Oh, I have to go now". The game was Advanced Squad Leader, and that was my first exposure to modern boardgames. Turns out ASL is not really the best gateway game. laugh

A third brush with board gaming happened when I saw a copy of 1830: Railways & Robber Barons on clearance sale for $5 at a store in the local mall that mostly sold pool tables. A friend had given me a copy of dubious origin of the 1830 computer game a few years before, and I thought that maybe this board game version might teach me how to actually play the computer game. I opened it up and found the contents cool with all the little track pieces, but on reading the rules it proved too complicated to draw me in. So, it sat on my shelf gathering dust for years.

Rebirth of a Gamer: In the spring of 2007, I was looking for a logo for fantasy hockey league, and so was searching for images that could represent a Vorpal Bunny. That search brought me to Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot, and was my first introduction to BGG. The site looked cool and comprehensive, but I didn't stay for too long. A short time later, while reading an article on slashdot I ran into a discussion on games, and a few folks enthusiastically recommending Fluxx. It sounded very cool, with the rules and goals of the game changing mid-game. So, I looked up the game on that cool and comprehensive web site I'd found when looking for killer bunny logos. I learned that there were stores in some towns that sold games like this, and as it happened, there was one in Vermont near the Green Mountain Chew Chew Festival (R.I.P.) that Deb and I were visiting on an upcoming vacation. So, we purchased Fluxx, and played it while camping in Vermont. After getting home, I started reading about more games on BGG. I went back to the Killer Bunnies entry and now read about the game itself, and not just the art. It also sounded interesting, so I visited a local store and Killer Bunnies become our second game acquisition.

Around this time I learned that my $5 clearance copy of 1830 was now very rare and routinely selling for well over $100. So that was nice. cool BGGers often recommended Ticket to Ride, so in October of 2007 while vacationing in New Hampshire, I stopped at a local game store and purchased Ticket to Ride: Europe. Finally, at Christmas I wanted to buy Deb a game that was known as one of the best, so after looking at all the top 10 rated games I purchased Caylus.

And with that, the conversion to board game geek was complete.

Here are some questions to get you started, Steve.

1) Why do you hate Christopher Nolan?

2) Have you even seen The Dark Knight?

3) I like Pandemic too, but 42 plays? What's the attraction?

4) What's a typical "odd meal" for you?

5) It seems like you really hate Agricola and Alien Frontiers. What gives?

6) What's the fascination with Pixar films?

7) What's your least favorite Stefan Feld game and why?

8) You've got 139 different games commented but still unrated. What's your approach to rating?

9) What's a terrible Canadian stereotype that you've found is true?

10) No, seriously, have you even seen Inception or Memento?

Here are Steve's two truths and a lie...

Poll
Which 1 of the following is a lie?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I've sneaked into a permanently closed attraction at Disney World.
25.5% 47
I once used my zipper to win a free Caribbean cruise.
26.6% 49
Despite owning a cell phone for 15 years, I've never sent a single text message.
47.8% 88
Voters 184
This poll is now closed.   184 answers
Poll created by Ajax
Closes: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Foster
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Ajax. This is an excellent choice! Steve adds so much to this site (and I love B.C.).

Have a great week Steve! Bill is a hard act to follow on many levels, but I know you will do a great job in entertaining us Geeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Congratulations Steve. Well deserved! Enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, another gotw I know from BGG!!! I'm going senile but I believe I know Steve from both math trades and the forums!

some more Q's to keep you going, it sounds like from your auto-bio you've got the time

1. Where in NH did you vacation in 2007? Do you remember the name of the game store? If it was in our Lakes region I'm now curious if the proprietor was named Ray, in which case we have only 1 degrees of separation!

2. Which math trade was your 1st and did you make any trades from it?

3. when exactly are you going to be at WDW? Maybe you can have a game day and/or night in your hotel room while you are there
?

4. are you interested in adopting a kitten?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb

CONGRATULATIONS STEVE

I hope you enjoy your week of fame fortune and glory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

From a current Vancouver Island resident to a previous one, congrats Steve! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Your avatar always reminds me of this line:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mb
Congratulations Steve!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Lower Hutt, WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Think of me as the Bishop of East Anglia
mbmbmbmbmb
This is way overdue.

Congratulations Steve from your posts and comments through to your stylish avatar and user name you're a top class member of BGG.

So as it is customary - questions

trash If you had to play a game of Clue with 4 people, alive, dead, real, fictional who would they be and why???

trash If we could all be in an RPG right now what would the setting be?

trash Dr K said 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' does that mean to you
a) maximise every move
b) live in the moment and concentrate
c) have a good time

trash What is your favourite forum or place on the Geek?

trash What game do you wish you'd invented?

trash What board game would you recommend everyone own or play?

PS: Isn't Santiago de Cuba brilliant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoopy congratulations Steve, enjoy your week

Regards

Gnome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Steve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see a fellow Canadian as GotW, but especially someone I recognize from all over the forums (in a good way; I tend to enjoy the posts, instead of recognizing someone for horrible or always confrontational posts).

Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations. And, indeed, massively overdue.

I'm not sure I should even try to engage in interaction with anyone who rates Agricola a 2, but...

What's your favourite Dominion card? Least favourite?

You like a lot of games with ships in. Which is the BEST game with a ship in?

Are you going to Essen? Why (Not)? What are you getting there or what would you get there if you went?

Which game, in your humble opinion, would be most improved with the addition of Zombies? Ninjas?

What's your favourite sandwich?

Which mechanic instantly spells complete disaster for a game?

Which game 'needs the right group to play' which so obviously ISN'T your gaming group?

Beer + boardgames...discuss

What do you think of the Star Wars prequels?

Eleven players turn up for gaming one night. What a horrible number! How do you ideally split them up?

What's your favourite Knizia?

Which historical figure would you most like to play games with? What would you play?

Have you ever designed a game? Or even started one in secret?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Steve! Good to see another Meatball (once a Meatball, always a Meatball) in the GOTW seat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
mbmb
Congratulations Steve!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huge congrats to Steve. You are another of those folks that (if asked) I would have assumed that you had already been GotW! Enjoy your week in teh spotlight!

Some quick Q's:

!. Favourite dex game?
*. Your favourite contribution to BGG?
%. Why should we give you the job?
$. Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
surprise You mean you haven't been Geek of the Week already?

Congratulations, Steve!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, Steve! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mb
Congrats Steve!

A Sunrise or sunset?
B Your favourite board game?
C The worst board game you have ever played?
D What colour do you play?
E Lake or sea?
F How did you meet your wife?

Enjoy you week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
A fine choice.

Steve represents everything good about BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silvertongue
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Steve! Have fun and enjoy your week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome pick for GOTW! All the best, Steve.
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
A fabulous pick of the week. Congratulations!!

I was just saying last week, when I ....SQUIRREL !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Incao
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Buy Stronghold Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent choice. Congratulations Steve !
I'm surprised you weren't already picked as GotW.
Enjoy your week.

-Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek Wasilewski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations !!!

And quick question - what makes Caylus your highest rated game ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.