Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Mathews
United States
Indianapolis
IN - Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
According to the boarding battle resolution chart in the fleet rules, if both ships are equal in boarding strength and a 1 is rolled the weaker ship wins. If a 6 is rolled the stronger ship wins. But by definition the ships are equal strength!

Does anybody know if there is an errata for this chart? Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Yeah, now 'moi' would consider the 'weaker' as being the "Defender" while the "Attacker" were then the 'stronger', due to that ONE undergoing THIS by the other. It is even somewhat 'contrary' for many "occurrences" of a CRT in which a 1 would equate "D-Elim" and 6 = "A-Elim", so, there's that too.
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Roach
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All things equal, it's 50/50. toss of the coin. Also that it is fleet rules, meant to play faster (way faster) that ship rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Mathews
United States
Indianapolis
IN - Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
I tried both of these solutions after playing around with it for a while. The Defender vs Attacker resolution is (I think) the one most in the spirit of the original rule, unfortunately boarding is simultaneous so it seems a little odd to call one a defender or attacker if the defender allowed the grapple in the first place. It doesn't really make a difference in the outcome... just seems weird. The coin flip is the easier answer, if less dramatic.
All in all a cool game... will be getting into the Ship rules here in a minute!

PS anybody tried War Galley http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1894/war-galley? What did you think? How do the two compare?

1d6 + 1d6 = (6) + (4) = 10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 187035. artaud23
  • 1d6 + 1d6 =
  • (6) + (4) =
  • Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:55 am
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this was a mistake and you cannot call one ship the defender and one the attacker in this case since they are simultaneously trying to board each other. The way that I have handled this is that the strnoger ship is one with the better crew (e.g. expert vs. average, etc.), but if this is equal also then I just arbitrarely pick one to be the high roll and the other the low roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
artaud23 wrote:

PS anybody tried War Galley http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1894/war-galley? What did you think? How do the two compare?

War Galley uses a chitpull mechanism that IMO is completely unsuited to naval warfare. It also has ramming modifiers that mean that you want a full turn's run before a ramming attempt. The experiments with the trireme Olympias in the 1980s showed clearly that these ships could accelerate very quickly. This would be ok in an old game like Trireme but is inexcusable in a game that came out a decade after the Olympias trials. Also, the chitpull movement means that players engage in absurd zigzag maneuvers to reach ships they want to ram (since all enemy ships are at rest while you move, arbitrarily complex maneuvers can be executed that would have your flanked and rammed in the real world).

The result of all this is that both fleets tend to engage in a game of chicken, dancing just outside one turn's movement range, except if the chitpulls end up ripping a formation apart at which point the other side will barge in, hoping to get a strike before the chitpulls close the gap again. It may be magnificent, but it's not galley warfare. Stick with Trireme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
M St wrote:
artaud23 wrote:

War Galley uses a chitpull mechanism that IMO is completely unsuited to naval warfare.

Did they change the rules between editions? The rules I have (2006) say that the fleet is broken down into squadrons, you roll for initiative, and then it's IGO-UGO for the individual squadrons. I guess the effect would be about the same, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.