Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FoS absolutely suck, especially with, like you said, mechanized units now, but I still like them because they're humans and I'm a turd for storyline
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are a good middle of the road Great Race, not O/P, but still good, and easy to grasp for a new player. If they ever draw "Leadership" SC#1, and load up their planets that they control with GF's, they can be very difficult to dislodge, and don't have to use CV's to transport troops around. FoS can build MU's just like anyone else, combined with lots of GF "cannon fodder" they can be fearsome in Ground Invasions. Their FS, with its ability to transport an unlimited number of GF's, while carrying an MU or 2, can take out just about any defended planet. Having an extra CC every turn is a "nice-to-have" ability. "Mark II" CV's (Racial Tech) is an excellent racial ability, not O/P, but one of the more useful in the game.

FoS is not "Top Tier" in Great Races, but still a good "middle-of-the road" Great Race nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohanCarstensen wrote:
PraetorianXVIII wrote:
FoS absolutely suck, especially with, like you said, mechanized units now, but I still like them because they're humans and I'm a turd for storyline

I agree, they might have been stronger before the second expansion but now there are even more races and other races has got the longer straw in this expansion.

I cannot agree. For me they are never about just having those GF. Actually I usually don't really care about that.
I like that it was mentioned that they start with pitiful 2 techs. Like poor Tribes I guess. So having 2 tech is not worse thing in the world and those are better techs that someone like Norr get.

They have very strong Representative (Bodyguard that can kill and cannot pretty much be killed back unless with some action card?).

This is the race that most of the time you don't have to worry about command counters and that is insanely powerful! And if you stockpile a little bit (me with them usually last 2 rounds I am out of counters in reinforcement) you can oustall pretty much everyone except Tribes.
They are not more powerful than Hacan and Mindnet - but tactically they are very solid race.

They are kind of pain to play - because you don't get obvious army advantage - but ability to stall was always important and if used right I think it makes them very strong race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohanCarstensen wrote:
I agree, they are middle race, still good but not superior. There ability to place gf and to get some extra CC:s is limited. During our game I think I only got that extra CC 3 times until the game was over.

Huh? Wouldn't you get it every round?

Or was the game only 3 rounds long?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohanCarstensen wrote:

I agree, they are middle race, still good but not superior. There ability to place gf and to get some extra CC:s is limited. During our game I think I only got that extra CC 3 times until the game was over.

Even in that short game you managed to get 3cc.
That's one execution of Primary Leadership for free.
I still would take that over many other Racial Bonuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Halonen
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:

We ended the game on turn 5 so you should have got 4 CC. But it was still an extremely short game roundwise. I think on average the Sol will get 6 extra CC which is not a bad deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohanCarstensen wrote:
Dulkal wrote:
JohanCarstensen wrote:

8 Player game
--
1 VP Prel. Obj.
2 VP Secret Obj. + 1 extra with a law
1 VP for Artifakt
4 x 1 VP for objectives.
= 9 VP total

We had agreed to end the game at 10 VP:s.

So the game ended in a draw after 2 players droped and we managed to exterminate the one with 9 VP:s.

This is the disadvantage with inviting new players to Twilight Imperium.

But anyway 9 VP:s would normally end the game.

Wow. That was a pretty atypical game.

I'm sure, though, that many other races would be similarly disadvantaged by a short game. In fact, I think the Sol are better in short games because they can expand faster by gaining GF directly on their outer planets.

I agree with the other posts here. FoS are smack in the middle of the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dulkal wrote:
JohanCarstensen wrote:
Dulkal wrote:
JohanCarstensen wrote:

8 Player game
--
1 VP Prel. Obj.
2 VP Secret Obj. + 1 extra with a law
1 VP for Artifakt
4 x 1 VP for objectives.
= 9 VP total

We had agreed to end the game at 10 VP:s.

So the game ended in a draw after 2 players droped and we managed to exterminate the one with 9 VP:s.

This is the disadvantage with inviting new players to Twilight Imperium.

But anyway 9 VP:s would normally end the game.

Wow. That was a pretty atypical game.

I'm sure, though, that many other races would be similarly disadvantaged by a short game. In fact, I think the Sol are better in short games because they can expand faster by gaining GF directly on their outer planets.

I agree with the other posts here. FoS are smack in the middle of the road.

I'm still missing something. Was this an 8-player THREE round game, or an 8-player FOUR round game? I have never, ever seen a game end in either 3 or 4 game rounds, 5 game rounds is the shortest game I have ever played in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
As Micke was saying, it ended in turn 5 in a draw. So I got 1 or 2 more CC:s. But it was the first time I have seen him surrender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carighan Maconar
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tbh, that's just another nail in the coffin of Mechs to me.
I don't see where they add strategic depth (not complexity, depth), and FoS makes much more sense if they're not in play. They're still not really strong without them, but they are much more manageable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I have no problem with Mechs, but I think many people does not understand the difference that of how races good abilities can become less good with the expansions. I would say that Federation Of Sol did draw the short stick in the latest expansion. This should have make them less appealing to play but according to ratings many seams to still like them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Leenders
Netherlands
Bakel
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What does "O/P" and "GF's" "CV" "FoS" "MU" "FS" "CC" mean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kentaro Sugiyama
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanLeeDR01 wrote:

Overpowered, Ground Forces, Carrier (Vehicle), Federation of Sol, Mech Unit, Force Specialty (?), Command Counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hinotori wrote:
DanLeeDR01 wrote:

Overpowered, Ground Forces, Carrier (Vehicle), Federation of Sol, Mech Unit, Force Specialty (?), Command Counter.

The CV is, IIRC, a military designation of aircraft carrier (ship) hulls, so the V doesn't really abbreviate anything.

FS is short for Fleet Supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kentaro Sugiyama
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dulkal wrote:
The CV is, IIRC, a military designation of aircraft carrier (ship) hulls, so the V doesn't really abbreviate anything.

The origin of the two-letter ship type code, established in 1920, was the need to distinguish various cruiser subtypes. "CA" was "Cruiser Armored" (which eventually meant "Heavy Cruiser"), "CL" was "Cruiser Light", etc. Pre-1975, the first letter was the main type, while the second letter was the subtype. I have a source that specifies the subtype code "V" meaning "Vehicle". Unfortunately, it is not on the internet--it's a 1974 World Book Encyclopedia entry.

From Wikipedia:
The "CV" designation was originally derived from cruisers, since aircraft carriers were seen as an extension of the sea control and denial mission of cruisers. The "V" designation for heavier-than-air craft comes from the French verb voler (to fly).

I have seen references where it stands for "aViation", so that is a convenient interpretation too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DanLeeDR01 wrote:

Some folks often use "FS" for Flagship as well.

...and...DD = destroyer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Kernel
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...and it might be underrated!

1. You get to yell: Rico's Roughnecks! Every time you invade something.

2. You get to look at Sardak Norr's planets and say: Its an ugly planet, its a bug planet!

3. Every time you produce a transport, you can say: In the pipe! Five by five!.

4. You can outstall a lot of your opponents, and while doing so create an army to invade with, and you do not need to return to a space-dock to pick them up.

5. You get extra command counters, and you can get more by researching 'hyper metabolism'.

6. As just mentioned, your research plan can be a bit boring (go for hyper metabolism), but it is damn efficient.

7. Your carriers can become the best in the game.

Cheerio,
ST
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.