Hide
13 Posts

Wings of Glory: WW1 Rules and Accessories Pack» Forums » General

Subject: This looks cool, so what do I need? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danger Mouse
msg tools
I have completely missed this game. Don't understand why, I am a huuuuuuge WW1 fan.

Anyway.

1. When is it going to be released (UK)?
2. What would I need to play (4 players)?
3. Is this like the X-Wing game? If not where can I see a video which would explain game-play, or some rules so I can learn them? (I'll be the one teaching this game.)
4. Is this cards or miniatures?
5. Will you be doing scenery mats? - Not essential, but it looks nice.
6. Can I buy any old-system miniatures (eg bombers) you can find here and there? Will they work with the new system?
7. What (roughly) will the cost be? (I am working out presents.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Holmes
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Eee-va?
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at Wings of War: Famous Aces which is the "first edition" (sort of) of wings of glory. Be sure to check out the expansions and miniatures.

This game is a kind of reboot/continuation of wings of war. I love the whole system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Holmes
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Eee-va?
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and I have heard that it is TOTALLY compatible with the older system.

You can use cards and/or miniatures.

Plays 2-100+

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I think some folks have already seen it there.

Quote:
2. What would I need to play (4 players)?

You will want at least one plane for each player.

Quote:

3. Is this like the X-Wing game? If not where can I see a video which would explain game-play, or some rules so I can learn them? (I'll be the one teaching this game.)

Sorry, I don't know the X-Wing game, but there is a lot of info around about this. As someone else said, search Wings of War stuff and you'll find all you need to know about it.

Quote:

4. Is this cards or miniatures?

The original WoW was all cards. After 3 boxes and some boosters (about 18-20 plane types) they started bringing out the 1/144th minies, using the four key planes that were in Watch Your Back.

Quote:
5. Will you be doing scenery mats? - Not essential, but it looks nice.

As Nexus there were some mats. I suspect Ares will have them eventually. Search around the photos pages for Wings of War miniatures and you'll see a lot of options other folks have used.

Quote:
6. Can I buy any old-system miniatures (eg bombers) you can find here and there? Will they work with the new system?

Yes. The bombers are actually "new system" but the key answer is that any Wings of War WW1 planes will work fine together. Note that there was a WW2 version (also being re-released by Ares) and, while the systems are very similar, they are not really compatible-- you don't want your Spad looking just as fast as a Spitfire.

Quote:
7. What (roughly) will the cost be? (I am working out presents.)

Well, buying options have a lot of different opps. The individual miniatures retail in the US for $12-$14 each. Each comes with a stand and altitude pegs, the maneuver deck (very important) and a card of the plane itself (useful in close situations-- or if you do pick up some of the old 'card' versions it works fine in there.)

If you're just getting started, I might suggest you NOT buy this particular box. There are two more products very near in the pipeline. The "Duel" set has the same contents of this box, PLUS two miniatures. There will be two of those sets available (Spad v Alb D-V and Fokker Tripe v Sopwith Camel). Getting both of those sets will give you double the damage decks and counters and things and may seem overkill, but if you really expect to grow in this, having more than one damage deck for each type is a good thing. (With more than about 7 players, you tend to run out if you just use one deck).

There will also be an intro set that has the game bits and FOUR miniatures- the same 4 planes as in the Duel pack but different paint schemes. That would get your 4 player game started with the most economy and you could still add other planes. The Duel packs are due very soon (certainly by the end of the year) and the larger intro packs not much longer after that.

If you don't want to wait, you can try to find Watch Your Back and buy the early war minies that are now floating around. I pick "WyB" because it's the boxed game which has the damage deck (B) used for planes with just one machine gun, as all the early war plane minies are. Famous Aces has an "A" deck (for 2 gun planes) but there are compensations you can use for taking the A deck to 1 gun planes.

Hope that helps. Yes, where HAVE you been? The first Famous Aces box came out in 2004. You've been missing a lot of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hurp
United Kingdom
Aldershot
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jaa17 wrote:

After Kevin's comprehensive answer,I'll just add that UK viewpoint
It's here! You can buy now! Going for a random retailer, have a look here for what is currently available: http://www.gameslore.com/acatalog/Games_Wings_Of_Glory_286.h...
Be careful only to get the World One I items only though, and anything sold out in that link above you can find by shopping around.

And ... coming out later this year is the Duel Packs and planes from later in the war (Fokker DrI, Camel, Spad XIII, Albatross D.Va). And you can check it a out here: http://www.aresgames.eu/games/ww1-wings-of-glory-line

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hurp
United Kingdom
Aldershot
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
If you're just getting started, I might suggest you NOT buy this particular box. There are two more products very near in the pipeline. The "Duel" set has the same contents of this box, PLUS two miniatures. There will be two of those sets available (Spad v Alb D-V and Fokker Tripe v Sopwith Camel).

And ... just to disagree with Kevin, I believe that the Duel packs will have a cut-down rule book compared to the full monty Rules & Accessories Pack version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When in doubt, but everything Wings of Glory related. You will have all that you need.

Just saying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few inaccuracies in the previous replies, so here are some "revised" answers about the upcoming products.

- Game mats are definitely in our schedule as a December 2012 release, we'll announce them soon.

- Duel Packs, which we just announced, are an INTRODUCTORY product. They will include only a part of the rules of damage decks, so they get you started with the game, but don't include the full range of rules and cards that you find here. Each Duel Pack will include:
- two airplanes,
- basic and standard rules (no advanced rules, no rules for bombers, two-seaters, and so on - about 25% of the rules included in this pack), and the counters required to play them;
- the specific damage deck they use ("A" deck in the upcoming packs)
- some special cards (trenches, targets...) to use in scenarios.

So while Duel Packs are a perfect introductory product (with a SRP of $ 29.90 they only cost about as much as the two airplanes inside them), they are actually only a gateway to "the" game. The full game system is included in THIS pack (the Rules and Accessory Pack).

And Ares doesn't have plans for a 4-planes set with rules. We think that with the Duel Pack as an entry level product, and the Rules and Accessory Pack as the "complete" product, there's no need for the "old style " 4 airplane set. At this moment, we've one set in this style for WW2, but it is now sold out and not be reprinted.

So, to be clear: if you want to start playing, there's no need to wait for months until the Duel Packs release. You can just jump in the full game experience by purchasing the Rules and Accessory Pack ($ 29.90) and 2 or more airplanes ($ 13.90 each).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Zembrzuski
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:
At this moment, we've one set in this style for WW2, but it is now sold out and not be reprinted.

So is this suggesting you're moving away from the 4 plane box in favor of the duel packs with WW2 as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It's quite possible.
As a first step. we're now producing the WW2 Rules and Accessory Pack, and for beginning players, we're offering a bundle of this product with the first 4 Airplanes Pack. This should be in stores end of December - beginning of 2013.

After that, it's possible that we'll use the Duell Pack format to reintroduce in the Wings of Glory range certain models, such as the early Spitfires and Me.109s, which have been (and still are) on the market as Airplane Packs for Wings of War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cybernex wrote:
There are a few inaccuracies in the previous replies, so here are some "revised" answers about the upcoming products.

- Game mats are definitely in our schedule as a December 2012 release, we'll announce them soon.

- Duel Packs, which we just announced, are an INTRODUCTORY product. They will include only a part of the rules of damage decks, so they get you started with the game, but don't include the full range of rules and cards that you find here. Each Duel Pack will include:
- two airplanes,
- basic and standard rules (no advanced rules, no rules for bombers, two-seaters, and so on - about 25% of the rules included in this pack), and the counters required to play them;
- the specific damage deck they use ("A" deck in the upcoming packs)
- some special cards (trenches, targets...) to use in scenarios.

So while Duel Packs are a perfect introductory product (with a SRP of $ 29.90 they only cost about as much as the two airplanes inside them), they are actually only a gateway to "the" game. The full game system is included in THIS pack (the Rules and Accessory Pack).

And Ares doesn't have plans for a 4-planes set with rules. We think that with the Duel Pack as an entry level product, and the Rules and Accessory Pack as the "complete" product, there's no need for the "old style " 4 airplane set. At this moment, we've one set in this style for WW2, but it is now sold out and not be reprinted.

So, to be clear: if you want to start playing, there's no need to wait for months until the Duel Packs release. You can just jump in the full game experience by purchasing the Rules and Accessory Pack ($ 29.90) and 2 or more airplanes ($ 13.90 each).

THAT right there needs to be on the front page of these products.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaa17 wrote:

Beware, that's a controversial point. FFG wrote me that X-Wing is a completely different system, and that this is the reason why they feel no need to license our mechanics and put Paglia's and my name as designers on the boxes as they originally offered to do. Many people think instead that these two games are far more similar to each other than to any other dogfight game.
The matter has been already discussed several times, here on BGG too. I spare you the details.

There is a video tutorial for the WW2 version, but in Italian. Anyway I think that Wings of War videos are a perfect introduction to the game. Here a ccouple:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.