Colonial: Europe's Empires Overseas» Forums » General

Subject: Please post the new character cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pablo Torres Vidal
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Please Christophe can you post the new Character Cards? New players need an accurate text on the cards, and I want to print the new cards and paste it on the old cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Seitz
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually Christophe you could also offer upgrade packs for the 1st edition buyers who want to upgrade to 2nd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Pont
Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some copyright issues my friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Torres Vidal
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Christophe Pont wrote:

And the text on the new cards? I buy the first edition of the game like others, why we can't have the cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T0rrES wrote:
And the text on the new cards?

I think you can find the text on the new cards in the rulebook which is available in the files section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Stop poking me! Ow! I mean it! That hurts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Christophe Pont wrote:

Copyright? Does Strategem not hold this on both 1st and 2nd edition?

That sucks. No upgrade pack already sucked but now I can't even fix my game properly apart from setting up a little sign next to the board that says "stop reading the cards they're wrong".

pk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PatK wrote:
now I can't even fix my game properly

I don't think there's much to do. If you want to play Ver 2 with Ver 1 components simply sleeve the cards and put in a slip of paper with the new text. In fact I might do that myself and try out my own Colonial 2 this weekend. I THINK that's all that's required. (You might also need some extra dice - or throw the existing ones twice)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Torres Vidal
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Seghillian wrote:
T0rrES wrote:
And the text on the new cards?

I think you can find the text on the new cards in the rulebook which is available in the files section.

The rules are in the rulebook, the text of the cards not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T0rrES wrote:

It's right there - see page 10 of the rules - the cards are pictured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Torres Vidal
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Seghillian wrote:
T0rrES wrote:

It's right there - see page 10 of the rules - the cards are pictured.

No, the cards in the picture are from the first edition. The cards on the second edition have the text changed. Some character have change and so the text on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T0rrES wrote:
No, the cards in the picture are from the first edition. The cards on the second edition have the text changed. Some character have change and so the text on it.

Really? The first edition cards are pictured in the 2nd edition rulebook? I hadn't bothered to check that!

Still, by reading the rules associated with each character, it should be easy for us to make up our own text for the character cards?

I'll get the expansion pack (including upgrade kit) when it comes out, but I want to play Version 2 before then, and I don't think a temporary fix of this sort will be difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played 3 times using v2 rules and it's been doable, I just need to remind everyone to stop reading the damn cards.

My issue is that I spent 60E on a game that didn't have stable rules until nearly 9 months afterward. And that the minor upgrades required to make that game a) correct rules-wise AND b) still beautiful will not be available to me because of nebulous 'copyright' issues.

I could make the rules on the cards right by crossing the incorrect bits out with a Sharpie; I think they are mostly deletions. I will do that if I have do. And I'll feel sad that I can't get the same level of quality.

(Although, in a weird kind of way, the lack of enough dice to roll for an exploration attempt all at once is perversely an improvement as it sometime adds a lot of tension to that second roll...)

pk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
The way this game has been handled has left a really sour taste in my mouth. I won't make the mistake of purchasing from this company again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm struggling to understand some of the negative reactions to this game.

Patk says that the game " didn't have stable rules". Surely it did. The game was perfectly playable right out of the box from day 1. Christophe Pont has shown great enthusiasm and support for the project from the beginning, and yet this seems to be what has upset people. Christophe came up with suggested rule improvements. Many games come out with alternative or optional rules, - right here on the geek there is always a section devoted to variants - that doesn't mean the rules are unstable - it just means there are different ways to play the game and players can select depending on their gaming preferences. But because the newer rules suggested by Christophe were much discussed here, the myth of "unstable rules" has grown. What we had was a workable, playable rulebook with some excellent optional variants supplied on here by the designer - where's the problem?

Now Version 2 of the game is upon us. With his continued support for the project Christophe has given us the new rules. These rules are not a fix for version 1 - they are a new improved (in Mr Pont's view) version of the game. Games are often changed when a new version comes out - version 2 is a new game - albeit with many similarities to the old one. Those of us who have version 1 can't expect to be instantly upgraded to version 2 in much the same way that people who have the Iphone4 will not be issued with Iphone-5s!

However, with minimal effort, we are able to play Version 2 with our version 1 sets - (Patk has played the game 3 times already - which suggests it must be quite good!) The new rules have been made freely available to us - all we need is some new card text which we can easily draft ourselves (sleeve the cards and put a slip of paper inside the sleeve with the new text - don't deface the originals would be my suggestion).

Those of us with version 1 now have the option of playing the game either by it's original rules, or use the updated variants suggested by Christophe, OR with minimal effort, play the new game, version 2.

This is a great game and I'm very much looking forward to playing the new version (with my old set) very soon. There is nothing wrong with the old set and I've enjoyed the game immensely with the previous rules in force. The game has been supported to the hilt on here by it's designer who has answered rules questions promptly and offered variants and improvements along the way.

What exactly are people complaining about? I don't get it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Buettemeier
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Esst mehr Käsetoast!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, John.

(And I thought only Germans argue in the way most people in this thread did..) shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with John in almost every respect. The game was great in its first iteration and its designer has just tweaked it. He has made all of the tweaks available and re-edited the rules for us to download. We can play 2nd edition with 1st edition components...almost.
But, I think the changed cards should be made available for the buyers of the 1st edition. I understand that the economics of the issue make an upgrade kit impractical. But scans for us to copy? That seems a small act of goodwill. It won't cost them sales. You could not make a full copy of the game from that. I can't believe there are any legal issues in doing it either. Companies release images of their components regularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Pont
Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to get extra cards from the manufacturer, but I can't make any promise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will you at Essen fair?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Pont
Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not with a booth, just with developer Patrice Gasser and Maybe Maxence Dumontet, as happy visitors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, so there is no Colonial for sale there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Pont
Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1st ed is going to be on sale on "Brave New World"'s booth. The've got some left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:
I'm struggling to understand some of the negative reactions to this game.

Well, to try and quantify it a little, this game has an inordinately high number of rules questions / forum threads for a relatively simple and straightforward ruleset.

The designer is on record in a different thread as claiming that v2 is far, far superior to v1.

Rules questions were mostly met with rules changes on the designer's part. That is not a bad thing! But it does point to the rules perhaps not being 'stable' out of the gate. Playable, yes. Best foot forward? Perhaps not.

For the record, I enjoy the game a lot and consider it similar to Age of Empires, albeit with a tradeoff of more limited paths to victory in exchange for less chaos/randomness. I want to see a second edition published so that more people can play the game. I had just hoped that those of us who were 'early adopters' wouldn't be left out in the cold once that happens. From Christophe's latest posts in this thread it sounds like there is hope, which is great news.

pk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
Christophe Pont wrote:

I'm confused. As the creator, aren't you the copyright holder? Is there another party that will sue you if you post the text of the new character cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having read the rules it seems to me that the text needs to be changed for just 3 of the cards. (actually 4 but the change to the Sovereign card is meaningless in the sense that removing unrest from your own player board is no longer part of the game anyway)

The cards to change are :-
- Financier -you borrow twice your Economy level, not automatically 10
- Governor -place Booming City anywhere you have a token, rather than necessarily in a colony
- Rebel -no longer places Unrest on a player board

Sovereign -no longer has the function of removing unrest from the player board but as that can't happen any more the wording change is of no consequence

In addition, the Viceroy could be amended to say that it can only add counters to a territory which is not a colony but that was the rule in the first edition anyway - it wasn't stated on the card text but could be for the sake of clarity.

I think those are the only changes necessary - can anyone confirm this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Estoppey
Switzerland
Savigny
flag msg tools
designer
No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity. But I know none, and therefore am no beast.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The file will come soon. Awaits only the approval of the BBG Admin.
To wait:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.