United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha. Made you look. But seriously, every time I see Corps as a game term I think of Marine [core] and Peace [core]. I'm pretty sure the Marines are not a corporation so it must be a different usage, so for me it begs the question, how do you pronounce Corp and Corps as it relates to Netrunner? Take the poll and help me out.

Poll
12. How do you pronounce Corp in Netrunner?
Core
Corp
13. How do you pronounce Corps in Netrunner?
Core
Cores
Corpse
      182 answers
Poll created by Cardboardjunkie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cor-po.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Clegg
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's "Corp" (hard p) because it's an abbreviation of "corporation". It's not a shortening or variant of the word "corps" (eg. Marine corps, press corps") which is pronounced with a silent p (that word comes from an old French word). If you pronounced "corporation" without the p, then you'd have a case -- but you don't.

...Paul

BTW: The word "corps" (as in Marines) and the word "corpse" (as in dead body) DO actually derive from the same origin, "cors", which means "body". "Corporation" is taken from a Latin "corporare" which means "to embody", and likely both ultimately have very similar roots. However, when new words are taken, you derive them from the most recent source. So, corporation -> corp, you pronounce the p.

Steven Pinker had a really interesting book called "Words and Rules" that talks about how English evolved over time, and how the rules that govern the language evolved. One example that stuck with me was a baseball announcer that said someone had "flied out". Most people remember the past tense of "fly" is "flew" BUT in this case, the root was the phrase "pop fly", a noun, which he was then using as a "new" verb, and the modern rule for past tense is to apply -ed as a suffix, so the announcer was correct in saying "flied" in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Paul. And to all the people that took the poll without posting. It's definitely a hard "p" in both cases according to the poll. The results were as definitive as my Mag-knee-toe vs Mag-net-oh question on another forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Clegg
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, "Mag-nee-to" vs. "mag-net-o" is a good question...

...Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to popular consensus, it's definitely Mag-knee-toe. So the movies got it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was this popular consensus taken before or after the film? It's likely seeing it will influence the answer. Didn't scientists use the word before? How was it spoken then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the online dictionaries I checked have mag-knee-toe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
All the online dictionaries I checked have mag-knee-toe.

Too many body parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Novak
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Nice and smooth.
badge
Our sentence is up.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the real question we should be asking is this:

Poll
How do you pronounce NBN?
EN-bee-EN
en-BEE-en
Fox News
      19 answers
Poll created by jaynova
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doubleyew EEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNN bee cee!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fox News has the evil part down, but switch to letters.. NBN -> BNN... and shift one letter in the alphabet... BNN -> CNN. surprise

Either that or fake and irrelevant news grew to take over the industry. The remnants of The Daily Show and TMZ combined together to form NBN, ruled by a cybernetic Stephen Colbert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.