Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really trying to like this game, I really am--but the mechanics are getting in my way.
Does anyone else find the game too brutal at the beginning? In both solo (official version and the one posted here) and normal play, the first-level heroes get slaughtered very early on. I mean, your average 2 peril monster can easily beat a level one hero (and give a level two hero a run for his/her money, I might add), and what with a hero moving around the peril mounts up pretty fast. Even with some nice treasures or boons, I find that unless they get _really_ lucky with quests (go one room over, deliver someone/something to the very next room), the heroes never get a chance to get off the ground.
Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
You might want to write up a session report to explain whats happening. I've never had this problem so I wonder if you are doing something wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your suggestion is entirely reasonable, Apotheos, but I don't quite feel up to a full-blown session report. And I find, Skeletor, that building the map ahead of time exacerbates this litle problem as it encourages moving around (and hence building up peril).
I'll post a quick not-quite-session report tomorrow here, explaining an example that exemplifies the three joyless games I've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that it can be easy to kill players especially by other players.... not sure re: solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this game about 12 times and in only a few instances were the players killed off at level 1. Most of the time we made it to the quests.
Remember you can save movement points to attack monsters that attacked you on opponents dungeonlord phase.
This way you can use an attack method that is better suited for your character.
Also, early in the game, use all your items and potiions, boons, and special abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some of the cards here that caused one of the debacles leading to a quick end to the game, with someone being killed unceremoniously at level 1.
The mosnters deployed (among other things) were a Demonic Adder and a Crouching Skeleton. Both of these together can be deployed almost every turn, as they require a total of 4 peril. With 2 movement, someone can either make a beeline for a quest (in which case they will rack up quite a bit of peril), or sit tight (in which case only one monster a turn could be deployed and/or you could save up peril for intermittent, massed assaults).
A level one character has precious little chance against even 1 or 2 peril monsters. Let's look at the Crouching Skeleton. With fist +3, he can reliably do one point of damage to even a fighter with a +1 boon. If you're a magic user, you could save one movement so as to counter-attack, but then your odds are only 50/50 at killing it (assuming a hero's +1 magic vs. its 0 magic). If you do kill it, your only benefit is 1 glory and it being discarded; the former is of little use in the immediate predicament and the latter is of little use given the rapidity with which your opponent(s) will be drawing cards (and hence replacements for any monsters that you might be able to kill by some fluke).
The Demonic Adder is even worse. It can reliably cause 1 point of magic damage to almost anyone, and has a 50% chance of doing a second point of damage even if you have a +1 fist.
Add to that something like a Bedfaggon and/or a Zombie, and any level one hero would be hard-pressed to survive enough turns to get anything done. That has been borne out by my experiences, with the winner being merely the one who drew lower-peril monsters (and hence could attack more frequently).
So; what am I missing? I repeat that the extent to which I want to love this game is astounding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
ronster0 wrote:
I have played this game about 12 times and in only a few instances were the players killed off at level 1. Most of the time we made it to the quests.
Remember you can save movement points to attack monsters that attacked you on opponents dungeonlord phase.
This way you can use an attack method that is better suited for your character.
Also, early in the game, use all your items and potiions, boons, and special abilities.

We remembered this and still it was hard on players- I'm talking the Dragons of the Forsaken Desert expansion.

But, I like the game- haven't played in a while. Is there an online version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.