Subject: Roll your own heroic role rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Triu Greykith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to boldly go where no geek has gone before, and post to the Variants thread ... even though the game is months away.

Aside from creating your own adventures / stories, I think it would be possible to create your own heroes. The following is a terrible job of cut & paste -- I've always admitted to being graphically challenged. I also used artifacts in place of powers, because those were the images available.

Your hero needs skills. It's pretty obvious that you get 12 dice to divide across the 6 skills. An average hero would have 2 dice for each. [I actually think of it as 1 die is average, 2 dice is above average; 3 dice is exceptional. Heroes are generally above average.] The rules limit you to a maximum of 5 dice on a roll. I would limit a hero to 4 dice for a skill, allowing for a bonus die for "right tool" or the like. There are 36 extra power cards in Preludes -- and 48 more in Pieces -- so you could use those to customize your new role. My only concern would be that the extras may be somewhat overpowered. The Storyteller would need to agree to the appropriateness of your choices, and perhaps adjust the effects. Those are the basics I've come up with so far.

I think it would make sense for an adult player to have an adult avatar. If you are the lone adult filling out a group with younger folk, you can be the mentor figure -- Mary Poppins, Merlin, etc. -- who accompanies the party on the adventure. Then again, maybe you are more like Hagrid, who can be as much hindrance as helper; the plucky comic relief.

Maybe a blank hero board could be provided ... not that it would be hard to mock one up, laminate it, and use a grease pencil or erasable marker to customize it. Not up to SR standards, but functional. Maybe you could take the role of an Ally, and place their card over the alcove.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
United States
Irving
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I suspect that the design concept was two skills each with 1, 2, and 3 dice, but I have no real proof of that. Certain artifacts and skills already add extra dice to rolls, so I would suspect that at a minimum limiting skills on creation to 3 (with a total of 12) dice would make more sense.

Edit: Also, with a Right Tool For The Job bonus and a Talent Die from using your talent, 3 dice in a skill already puts you up at the max 5.

I like the idea of a lone adult playing an NPC off of a custom Lore card if they also happen to be behind the screen and there aren't comparable figures to be used. On the other hand, with a little coaxing even Gurbin might accompany the Poppins on a brief adventure or two, provided Twila can help around the house while he's gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.