Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brandon neadles
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just got our copy finally on Friday and got our first game in last night. It took 4 hours. That's not including the 90 minute set up time for the two pre-built mages.

Anyway, I played priestess and my wife was warlock. The reason for the long game is that this game is very much like learning MtG for the first time - only being given a 60 card hand to look at while you play. The first several rounds took 10-20 minutes each.

Question 1: My priestess had a piece of equipment that let me put "armor markers" on friendly creatures. I could not find armor markers. Was this card written at a time when there was armor markers in the game? Am I suppose to use ready markers and just hope I don't get them confused with actual ready markers?

Question 2: Mana Flower. This question has come up both here and on magewars forums. There seems to be two different conclusions and I'd like to get it sorted. The Flame +2 trait means it's vulnerable to flame attacks. I get that. two extra dice if it's attacked with flame. However, does it do anything with burn markers? I found a thread here that seemed to say that it adds two damage to the burn condition. On the mage wars site they concluded that burn is direct damage and ignores all modifiers. So which is it?

I think the game has a lot of potential. My primary concern is how to build decks quickly, if it's at all possible to do quickly. What are people doing to track points as they build decks? Calculators? Spreadsheets? Pen and paper? I really hope Arcane Wonders creates a web-based calculator where you can quickly pick cards while tracking points then print off a list.

I also really wanted to have all 4 starter decks ready to swap out quickly. I'm a bit disappointed this is not easy to do in the base game. I even attempted to double-side my cards in the spellbook to fit two mages (it almost seems designed to do this with how the card sheets are reversed half way through).

Well off to play another priestess and warlock game - I'm too lazy to build another mage starter deck right now

Thanks for any input,
Brandon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed the armor token thing as well. What I did was put USED tokens on for armor. I've been told I can use any generic token from any other game as well, so I'll probably do that.

Flame +2 would add 2 dice to the attack roll if the attack was flame based and also would add 2 to the effect die to determine if you got a burn marker. Once you have the burn marker it has no effect on those dice.

You can also build all 4 starters minus 4 cards with a core and a spell tome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darrel is correct +2 dice to flame attacks and +2 to the effect roll to get a burn counter, no effect after you have the burn handle it normally.

the armor ability used tokens. the rulebook (and mage wars forums) states the game does not come with tokens, use anything available for tokens. i do hope they come out with official tokens eventually.

as for building a new deck quickly here is what i do. i run through the cards, (which i have sorted in binders) and i pull out what looks good for the type of deck i am trying to build. i put them all into piles (equipment, creature, incantations, attack, etc) total up each point value, write the total down on a scratch paper for each catagory and total for the book.

then i modify as i see is needed. if im 10 points over, i see maybe i have too many creatures, i will remove some or swap out for some cheaper ones that fill the same role. if i am under i try to look at where i can shore up my defences against other mages usually.

of course im fairly good at math in my head so that helps im sure. hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gass
United States
Iva
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The burn mechanic is correct. As for armor markers, the demo I played at Gen Con had markers, but I haven't received my copy yet to look. They were similar to the wizard's shield, with an active side and an inactive side. You could use anything with 2 different sides, such as coins. Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
those are ready markers for defence. those are not the armor tokens that the priestess crown adds permenently onto creatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:

the armor ability used tokens. the rulebook (and mage wars forums) states the game does not come with tokens, use anything available for tokens. i do hope they come out with official tokens eventually.

I made up some Tokens and have permission to post them:

Now you can have 12 Armor tokens that can be flipped to indicate either 1 or 2 armor each.

Or just make 6 if you think that's enough.

Hope it helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awsome always good to see improvements! now all we need are rage and such
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
awsome always good to see improvements! now all we need are rage and such

Explain what you need and I'd be happy to make it.

It would help to know which cards refer to the tokens needed.
Crown of Protection=Armor +1 tokens
What needs Rage?
What else?

EDIT- just realized the Armor tokens need to be PLUS 1/PLUS 2. I'll update them tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
any creature with rage trait needs rage tokens. i dont remember the creature offhand that has rage in the base set but im sure there will be more.

also valshalla needs wrath tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.