United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again, the reason I'm asking this question is that I am (theoretically) writing a moderation tool, so I am being OCD as I comb through the rules.

The base game comes with 11 "You Are Not A Cylon" cards; enough for a 6 player game (as long as you are using the Sympathizer rule, or No Sympathizer and excluding Boomer as instructed).

Exodus comes with 5 additional vanilla "You Are Not A Cylon" cards.. and in the Conflicted Loyalty rules, it says to shuffle all of the You Are Not A Cylon cards together with the Personal Goals and/or Final Five cards before constructing the Loyalty Deck.

Here's the stupid question:
Pegasus comes with one additional vanilla "You Are Not A Cylon" card, purely (at the time) to facilitate a 7-player game (or a 6-player No Sympathizer game with both Baltar and Boomer).
Before Exodus came out, there was absolutely no reason that the number of YANAC cards in the box mattered; there were just enough to build a Loyalty deck, and even with Pegasus style Executions, you'd never need to draw any more. And in a PBF game, there was most certainly no reason to care how many physical YANAC cards existed.
With Conflicted Loyalties, every single vanilla YANAC card is relevant until the end of the game, due to Exodus Executions.

So let's say I am building a PBF moderation tool that allows for any combination of expansions.
Should I have it so that if the players want Conflicted Loyalties, and choose Base+Exodus, there are 16 vanilla YANAC cards to shuffle into the Not A Cylon Pool, and if they choose Base+Pegasus+Exodus, there are 17? Or always 17? Or always 16? Or only 17 when it's a 7-player game?
The extra card ever-so-slightly affects the odds of Personal Goals and Final Five loyalties coming out, so this is what makes me wonder.

I warned you this was stupid!
But it sort of matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Corum
United States
Munster
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Admittedly, I'm not a rules lawyer, but I think it makes perfect sense to include 16 YANAC cards in Base + Exodus and 17 in Base + Pegasus + Exodus. Since the rule book says all of them you would use the appropriate total per your expansions.

BTW, I'm looking forward to seeing this hypothetical mod tool. Count me in for beta testing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For simplicity's sake... always leave out the Peg YANAC card. The Exo rulebook seems to imply that u use YANAC cards from base game and Exo, but no mention of using Peg (this could be attributed to the fact that Exo can be played without Peg, but "eh", it works).

Hmmm... for our IRL games, players were privvy to knowing what conf. Loy. cards were being used... e.g. PG, but no FF; the other way around; no FFs that get people executed... and odds, such as... for a more crazy game, no vanilla YANAC cards; or the full YANAC deck to form the full shebang. Otherwise, I do tell them that I left out the Peg YANAC card (and they often don't care).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
cal2cool4u wrote:
BTW, I'm looking forward to seeing this hypothetical mod tool. Count me in for beta testing!

Don't hold your breath
There's a long way to go in building this tool and I haven't even moderated a game myself with the stuff that's out there. But keep watching the forums for my dumb questions, and maybe someday for a release-for-public-consumption announcement

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Sansone
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two ways to answer this question. My thought is that if you're adding the "You Are a Cylon" cards from Pegasus, then go ahead and add the extra "You Are Not a Cylon" card from Pegasus. (Also, if you're adding all of the Pegasus skill cards, Quorum cards, Crisis cards, Super Crisis cards, and Destination cards, doesn't it seem odd to leave out the one "You Are Not a Cylon" card?)

If you're playing with Personal Agenda and Final Five cards, you'll have a "You Are Not a Cylon" deck of 30 cards with the extra Pegasus card. If you remove the Pegasus "You Are Not a Cylon" card, you'll have 29 cards.

A literal reading of the Exodus rule would exclude the extra card from Pegasus, but as someone noted above, Exodus was made so that it could be played without Pegasus. But you ARE playing with Pegasus, so an adjustment seems appropriate.

Support for the literal reading could be found by arguing the lack of any mention of the extra "You Are Not a Cylon" card in the section of the Exodus rules discussing Pegasus means that the game makers did not intend to have the extra card added.

Nevertheless, I favor adding the card. It only dilutes the deck by 1/30 (3.33%), and hey, the humans could always use a little extra help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.