Randy P
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I played the first 3 scenarios in a gloriously soft-drink and pizza drenched Saturday afternoon. (It's glorious because we are old farts who don't get to game too much).

What I noticed as the overlord was the "alpha strike" that the players always did on the first turn of the game, essentially wiping out my first group of monsters on the first turn. They would fatigue move into range, and then with 2 attacks each wipe out the monsters.

Instead of setting up the heroes in the entrance, we could have them move onto the entrance squares on the first turn. That might help fix the problem and level the playing field a little with regards to the overlords monsters.

I don't think it's a big problem, but in the scenarios we played, it felt as if the players had a slight advantage. I'd like a little balance tweak to help address that.

Not to mention, I want to use my glorious monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-L├ęgier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a "Variants" folder for house rules.
What if the OL simply played better, rather than changed the rules?devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy P
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry. I'm usually a lurker and a newbie so I may be flailing around in the forums until I learn the proper technique.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've found that there is rarely any good reason for the Heroes to kill the Monsters, unless A) it's a specific objective for the scenario or B) the monster is in the way (blocking the path). Otherwise, it wastes precious actions that could be spent completing the objectives.

So, if your heroes are wasting their first turn killing the monsters that are supposed to just distract from the heroes, then your job as OL should be that much easier, especially considering reinforcements. If it's *really* bugging you, then pick big monsters, like the Giant (from the Conversion Kit, and if you don't have it, buy it now).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Variants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy P
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the suggestions thus far:

1) You're incompetent.
2) You don't know how to post in the forums. (See 1)
3) It's a good thing.

Lol.

But seriously, we should probably just play it as written and stop trying to tweak it. FYI, in this particular scenario (Fat Goblin, 2nd encounter), there were no reinforcements which is why I was feeling the loss of those monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It wasn't meant to be derogatory, but rather just pointing out that perhaps you shouldn't judge too soon. There are definitely 'balance' issues in this game, some things that need some serious reworking, but our group hasn't found the 'alpha strike' to be a problem.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy,
My feeling is that the game favors the OL. You are proposing changes that help the OL. That would make the game even more unbalanced in my opinion.

I also feel that adding the conversion kit helps the OL, which might make the game even more unbalanced. ***note this is only a guess, I don't own the conversion kit***

My opinion might be wrong.

Do what makes the game more fun for you, but my suggestion is to play more with the basic game first before adding/changing anything. I also suggest that you switch who plays the OL at least once to see if that makes any change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The OL usually wants to setup the first group in such a way that the players must kill as many of the monsters as possible to move past. The reason is that most of the published quests require the heroes to move quickly in order to win, so if they are attacking instead of moving then the OL is coming out ahead.

So don't worry when the heroes kill off all the monsters in the first room because they are actually doing you a favor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.