Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to be crystal clear on the relevance of searchlight hexes on the map and how I am interpreting 9.6 (Flak), and more specifically, 9.6.2 (Searchlights).

A) It's my understanding that Searchlights have NO effect on the raid detection phase. That is to say, they do not effect the jamming level or modify the Germans' chances of detection.

B) It's also my understanding that even if a raid(s) is detected, that its passage into a searchlight hex does not incur a Flak Combat marker unless the German player chooses to play the STRAYING BOMBERS card.

Am I missing something in my rules understanding, or am I overlooking any other possible card deck plays that could have an effect with regard to searchlight hexes?

--Sky68

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skyrider68 wrote:
A) It's my understanding that Searchlights have NO effect on the raid detection phase. That is to say, they do not effect the jamming level or modify the Germans' chances of detection.

That's right.

Skyrider68 wrote:
B) It's also my understanding that even if a raid(s) is detected, that its passage into a searchlight hex does not incur a Flak Combat marker unless the German player chooses to play the STRAYING BOMBERS card.

The only effect of searchlights is to permit STRAYING BOMBERS attacks in searchlight hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar Gallego
Spain
Sarriguren
Navarra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotofficerprune wrote:
The only effect of searchlights is to permit STRAYING BOMBERS attacks in searchlight hexes.

The Raids Move phase says that a raid or stream passing through an area flak place a Flak Combat marker. It seems that you can only resolve a Flak combat marker against them in searchlight using the card, but at least the marker is placed and you know something is passing through. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When there is a raid or bomber stream counter in searchlight hex or in hex with not-bombed city, German player can play Straying Bombers card and resolve flak attack agains this raid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar Gallego
Spain
Sarriguren
Navarra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Searchlight is a Flak area so, by the rules, the British should put a Flak marker even if it isn't resolved because it's a Searchlight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Area Flak hex and Searchlights hex are two different hexes. When undetected raid moves through Searchlights hex, British player don't place Flak marker and German player can't play Straying Bombers card. Only raid/bomber stream counter in the Searchlights hex enables German player to play this card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar Gallego
Spain
Sarriguren
Navarra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My fault, don't know why I was assuming they were flak area too. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edgar Gallego wrote:
A Searchlight is a Flak area so, by the rules, the British should put a Flak marker even if it isn't resolved because it's a Searchlight.

Rule 9.1.2 specifies placement of flak combat markers only in area flak hexes or hexes containing cities that are being bombed. There is no mention of searchlights in this rule and so no combat flak markers are placed on searchlights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.