Popular Tags: [View All]
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I played City Tycoon today, which I enjoyed a lot, and had things like powering and water, but I felt that it felt more like Power Grid had crashed into Alhambra than what I was expecting, which was something more like Sim City.

Are there any games that you think give some feeling of town building (preferably in a modern setting) like Sim City does?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Urban Sprawl

Feels quite a bit like El Grande meets Sim City, as it's all about area majority. Also, fiddly and long. However, I enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm watching Suburbia and Card City, which might fit the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ursus_Major wrote:

This link isn't really that useful to the OP as it has over 54 pages of games of which most (based on only looking at the first few pages) only have "City Building" as a minor mechanic. Or at least in the way that the OP is looking for it, as I doubt he has Carcassonne or Citadels in mind. I'd also be interested in the answer to the OP's question.

Edit: Clarification and trying not to come off as a jack-ass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
I just watched a review today for Urbania. It might be worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Sunrise City?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 with an eye on suburbia

P.S. How do you link to a game...

Edit: added P.S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Use the drop down menu just above this reply box, and where it says Insert Geek Link, scroll down to Board Game, type name of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to watching Suburbia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SatanicEssence wrote:
This link isn't really that useful to the OP as it has over 54 pages of games of which most (based on only looking at the first few pages) only have "City Building" as a minor mechanic.

Agreed. I sorted the games in that category by Rank. While I can see that Puerto Rico, Caylus, Ora et Labora, Princes of Florence, Lords of Waterdeep, etc. all have city building aspects, none of them gives the Sim City feel. This list wouldn't be terribly useful for discovering new games similar to Sim City, as a) it includes a lot of games unlike it and b) you wouldn't be able to know if the city building aspect was SimCity-like unless you knew the game... and if you already knew the game then you didn't need this list to find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank-you for your responses. I've watched Urban Sprawl being played, and I felt perhaps that it was a little dry - not really interested in this one.

I've had a look at Suburbia. On the surface, it has some things in common with City Tycoon (although obviously quite a lot of differences too). I think I like the look of Suburbia slightly more due to my cubes not getting stolen.

Sunrise City I have watched the Dice Tower review of. I think its a very well produced game, but I don't think its quite what I'm looking for.

I like the sound of Card City - I would need to seek it out at Spiel.

So of the four suggested I like the sound of Suburbia and Card City, hopefully I can try both at Essen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I didn't especially like Big City, but it is the game I've played that feels like it comes the closest to what you're asking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.