BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a medium-heavy strategy game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marty Mcfly
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi everyone, my first thread ever...

I believe that I am no longer a casual gamer. Not that I play that often, but I now look for something that can offer considerable depth at the strategic level.

The games I play routinely are: Ticket to Ride, Settler of Catan, Thurn and Taxi, Memoir 44, 7 Wonders Leaders. My latest game is Lords of Waterdeep. I enjoy all of them but I would like something that give the opportunity to plan in advance rather than making choices turn by turn wich seems to be the case with my games.

I tried Puerto Rico but didn`t like it. I appreciate the numerous path to victory and level of depth, but it wasn`t actually fun (seems like everyone is doing their own thing). I was looking at Agricola, but from what I have heard from a hardcore gamer, the game is so complex to learn that they didn`t even enjoyed it. I really like Pandemic, but would rather have something similar but not coop.

I am currently looking at Trajan. Other game I consider is Castles of Burgund and Troyes. I would like to know on a scale of 1-5 (with 5 being the hardest), how would you rate the learning curves for these games?

Also interested in hearing other game recommendation. I haven`t played that many games other than the ones mentioned earlier.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola comes with family rules which will make it easier to learn the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
23rd June: Black Thursday :(
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate Agricola as a very good medium-heavy strategy game. It isn't very newb friendly and the rules that it comes with suggest starting out with the 'family version' before progressing to using the cards. The cards are not necessary in order to make Agricola a good game although you will probably prefer to play with them once you are familiar with the basics. It is also possible to play Agricola 1 player and concentrate on improving your score from play to play. This is another good way of easing you into the game more gently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tough to say. Many games on here have terrible rulebook but I find, time and again, that printing out player aids from bgg saves my butt like nothing else. Power Grid is so far my extreme experience with this.

Similarly, other games are somewhat complex but have excellent rulebook.Vinhos comes to mind.

I only have experience with Troyes from your list, and it's an amazing game. Multiple paths to victory, and the hidden role cards make the game that much more exciting.

Right now, my easy to learn but intense and strategic as hell game that plays quickly is Homesteaders. Great game, great components, great rulebook, plays well 2-4, easy to learn and teach, almost no hidden info. Really tight resource management. Give it a look!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd read Alex Frog's Navegador Strategy guide. It's here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/602967/alexfrogs-navegador-s...

If this sounds like the game for you, go buy it and have fun. If not, come back and tell us why not. 'Not everybody doing their own thing' is fine as a criticism -- and if your Trajan games end up like ours, you won't want it for the same reason -- plus it is the hardest of the 3 you suggested in terms of learning curve. But there are lots of ways that you can have player interaction.

PS -- Don't take Alex Frog's advice as the word of God. There are reasons to like openings that he doesn't discuss, which is, of course one of the reasons the game is so much fun to replay. But reading the guide should tell you whether it hits your sweet spot for strategy with player interaction, or whether it misses it entirely.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite game for planning ahead is Caylus. I'm always thinking ahead to the next turn, at the least, most often 2 turns in advance. That said, it can be a little tough to get the trick of, but once you get used to it, I think it's pretty straightforward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should be able to find one of these that peak your interest:

Dominant Species
Agricola (w/farmers of the Moor expansion)
Caylus
Vinhos

The wife and I enjoy all of the above!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game you are looking for is called Tigris & Euphrates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oo wow! My Favourite game fits nicely

Try out Tigris & Euphrates:
- Not co-op? Check.
- Players not doing own thing? Double Check.
- More difficult than Catan or TtR? Check.
- Planning ahead? Heck yes Check!

This game showed me that a deep game doesn't need to be a passive attempt to be more efficient with your turns than everyone else, like your standard Euro.

You win this by attempting to build an impenetrable fortress, or attacking the weaknesses of your enemies, or capturing wild-card treasures through sneak attacks, or a probably a mixture of all 3.

You've gotta try it to know how good it is.
Beware of your friends who are ultra-competitive, this game is as aggressive as any. Real tension for most of the game!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quelf elf wrote:
The game you are looking for is called Tigris & Euphrates.

haha.. beat me by a minute - and only because I elaborated for too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola is great. It's really not that complex. It can be complex if you intentionally play it as such, but it has a big range of complexities depending on which rules you use

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hiimjosh wrote:
Agricola is great. It's really not that complex. It can be complex if you intentionally play it as such, but it has a big range of complexities depending on which rules you use

Agricola's mechanics are not complex at all. It is the pressure and tightness of play which people have to get used to. Thus for me it has a "medium" rating at the most.

Uwe's other games, Le Havre and Ora et Labora are more complex due to the "transmute this to that" mechanisms, and requires more plannng IMO.

But I would recommend the OP jump up to Agricola or games like The Castles of Burgundy first before trying out LH and OeL first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Gibbons
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I personally feel that Agricola is one of those games that is easy to learn/play and difficult to master. Looking at what you've played so far, I would not be hesitant or think that it's too difficult. While there is a lot going on, I feel that the game play is very intuitive and everything makes a lot of sense thematically. My wife and I bought it after only playing light-medium Euros (eg TTR, Dominion, Settlers) and it was not that difficult to learn. We're still in the process of mastering it, though ;-) Tons of planning ahead, more player interaction than many give it credit for. Given that you've already been introduced to the worker placement genre with Waterdeep I think you should have no problem learning it.

Having said that (and some might disagree), we've found Troyes to be a little more difficult to learn than Agricola. Is the gameplay deeper? Hmmm... I would probably guess no. This is, however, a fantastic game. In fact, it might even beat out Agricola as my favorite at the moment. It has more interaction than any other Euro I've played (which isn't a lot). Tons of planning ahead involved. It really rewards the player's ability to recognize combos and subtle strategy. It plays very quickly for it's depth, and setup/break down is a breeze. My guess is that it will probably take a play through or two to understand what is going on, but there are some great videos on here that can help.

I have yet to play Trajan or Burgundy, so I cannot comment on them. I think either Agricola or Troyes would be a nice step up. Don't believe the nay sayers that state Agricola is too difficult. Between the two, though, I think I would give the nod to Troyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Tigris & Euphrates may be exactly what you are interested in, as well. But is it in print?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Railroad Tycoon/Railways of the World? It's a medium weight game where planning your deliveries many turns ahead of time is absolutely critical, while at the same time not entirely brain bending. There are some tactical options that come up in the form of action cards, but for the most part you are planning how to create long deliveries from the very beginning of the game. There is a lot of tension in the game as well (i.e. how long can you hold off delivering a cube? will your opponents steal the cube away from you? do you need the income bump right away?)

This is definitely one of the best games in the medium-weight-planning-ahead category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nik holliday
United Kingdom
Appin
Argyll & Bute
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
how about Amon-Re? Stuart Dagger (Counter magazine) rated it above Puerto Rico in his review.
My own personal favourite would be Princes Of Florence, which is still available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Princes of Florence is a great game, but if 'everybody does their own thing' is not what the OP is interested in, then I think this is not the game for him. Unless auctions have a special place of joy in his heart when it comes to player interactions ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything with an auction is going to offer some player interaction. My favorite game with an auction is Goa. But the other suggestions of Tigris & Euphrates are very good recommendations. Another suggestion of a game with planning and interaction is Torres. Still another is El Grande, though El Grande needs at least 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Jediskills wrote:
I would like to know on a scale of 1-5 (with 5 being the hardest), how would you rate the learning curves for these games?

The many games you are already familiar with should make learning any of the new games you mention relatively easy. So...

Agricola - 3.5
Trajan, Troyes - 3
Castles of Burgundy - 2.5

By way of comparison, here are a couple of medium-heavy games I'd recommend, though they're harder to learn:

Through the Ages - 4
Vinhos - 4
Florenza - 4

Other games you might want to have a look at: Navegador, Homesteaders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Mcfly
Canada
flag msg tools
Wow, some good suggestions here!

I was not aware that Agricola came with a family rules set. I will have to take a look at it. Tigris and Euphrates was mentioned a few times too so I will read more about it.

Now that I have a couple of good suggestions, I will have to found out more about them. I will definitly check the reviews on Youtube as you can see what the game looks like and how it plays. The Dice Tower and such always explains the game well in a short amount of time.

I did considered Caylus but got Lords of Waterdeep instead, which some people considered a lighter version of Caylus. Small World also came into my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Tigris and Euphrates from me. I love the game but when I first read about it I was left feeling cold. I bought the iOS version and after a few trial games it suddenly opened up and came to life for me. I immediately bought the cardboard version and have enjoyed it even more in person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
I think that Tigris & Euphrates may be exactly what you are interested in, as well. But is it in print?

I can't say for sure if it's available where you are, but I only got my copy late last year - it was the Mayfair English 2nd Edition. Pretty sure it would be readily available in most parts of the world if I had plenty of options.

edit:
Note to the OP. You can try out Tigris and Euphrates on BGG own built in online version. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/tigris/
It's a turn based online adaption which will give you a feel for the game, although if you're learning, prepare to get absolutely smashed the first few games whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus is indeed the harder, drier brother of Lords of Waterdeep. Agricola is only slightly more complex than Lords of Waterdeep, mostly in that the action spaces are so tightly rationed (whereas in Lords of Waterdeep there is more duplication and recovery potential after a blocked play).

Dominant Species is a step up, and brings something new to the table. It plays longer than anything you currently have though, if that is a factor.

Hansa Teutonica seems light at first, but for such a fast playing game there is a lot going on. I think it is the game that Ticket to Ride is jealous of late at night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb

Macao
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nikh158 wrote:
how about Amon-Re? Stuart Dagger (Counter magazine) rated it above Puerto Rico in his review.

That's crazy talk. CRAZY TALK!!!

thumbsdown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.