Subject: Opinions on artstyle! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello all, Im working on a very light dungeon crawl board game and although this isn't my favorite style of mine, its simple and easy to create. I was just hoping to get opinions, is it too cartoonish for the dungeon crawl theme, does it look too digital? Could you get into a game with this style? Any and all opinions help! Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not too cartoony for me.

Is a bit 'digital' I guess (if you mean too clean and not enough shading)

I could get into a game with this art work if the game was fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel deVue
Germany
flag msg tools
I like about this simplified style, that I can read the figures very well and all the elements are easily recognized.
Its strong "geometry" feel - all the symmetry and base forms - though, make it look uninteresting for me (like south park forum avatars) - even if a lot of thought goes into it. Maybe its the very clear and distinct shapes, that on the one handside make it very easy to read, but also annoyingly clean and even. But that might be solely my taste.

Do you know "The Missing Ink"? They do an MMORPG with a very simplified style and it works in my eyes. Maybe you find some good ideas there, too.

There are comics way more simplified out there (Order of The Stick, xkcd and the game kingdom of loathing), who are great fun and are not about the art at all. Or use their style to a narrative advantage.
For me, it's really hard to tell from this one image, if I could get into it. I also like some low-bit-pixelated games for their fun.

Good luck with the project : )

gab

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It wouldn't "suck you in" to the world or characters but it's inoffensive, clean and it will portray what you want it to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
A few more pieces... thanks for the positive feedback thus far also!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is OK but imho it is too simple and maybe even boring. If the game is great I could live with that designe but it will not help to draw me in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like cartoony artwork but this particular style is too dull for my tastes. It lacks personality or drama, almost like it was drawn not only on a computer, but by a computer.

Varying the shading might help, as well as the line widths to help give weight to appropriate areas. I don't necessarily mind that each character is presented face-on but some small variation in pose or expression would work better. A good example:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrenn E. Canton
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
It's the faces; they all seem so dull and lifeless. It's not really doing anything for me in terms of visual appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joan Thalamus
United States
flag msg tools
mb

Instead of this rather static image, you might consider using an action shot. The current art isn't very evocative of anything at all. Nothing about it suggests "a world of adventure lies within."

Joanie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with all the opinions above. Take a look at Super Dungeon Explore. The characters are simple, but with the shading and the fact that they're always doing something, it really brings people into it. I know a lot of folks who just picked it up because it looked "cute and fun". You could do some tweaks to make them stand out to the viewer, if you don't want to go to that extent. A dwarf can be shorter (of course), and maybe have squinty eyes and a big goofy chin you can see even from under the beard. Maybe he's always got an "annoyed" mark off the side of his forehead, no matter where you have him pictured, so he's your comic relief. A picture of the heroes with a bunch of cool loot, and maybe he got stuck with the bow... and he's looking down at it like "I raided a level 20 dungeon and all I got was this lousy short bow".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like it could use a hint of two-tone (hard-edged, not gradient) shading. The proportions are good, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I would agree with Alan. Adding some tone to the image would help but it really depends on what you're going for...

Below are some quick examples of what I think could work. I'm no trained artist, so take it for what it's worth. The first being your original, the second adding a bit of basic shading, and the third (optional) addition would be to add an overall texture to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the style, but the extra s that kevin brings makes it more lively!
So go through with what you're doing, but add a bit texture and shades. And as mentioned before, give characters different face expressions. Aft all there are probably goods and badies, ... Show that in their faces!
It s only my opinion as 'customer' , as a illustrator i m to limited myself to say what someone else has to do

Greets and keep on the good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.