Andre
Germany
41472 Neuss
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Is there FAQ/Errata or official ruling for the apollo avp ability when the ionian nebula is being setup? If not, how it's usually played?

In our current Vassal game, he could jump into the viper, but did not take an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Vassal had something wrong. I don't see why Apollo's Alert Viper Pilot would work any differently during Ionian Nebula setup than at any other time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
The way we handled it the one time it came up for us F2F was that the battle was set up, then crossroads then continue with the current player's turn (according to Exodus rule book).
As such, we set up the board, Apollo launched, took an action, we did crossroads, and then we moved on. I don't know/remember if there is official FAQ to back up this ruling though.

As a side note, the one time we did this, we did it in the most confusing manner possible, because the current player (Apollo), used SoE then CPed for leadership, a jump was made in the middle of the SoE wherein Apollo launched, used his bonus action to XO the admiral who nukes a sector, then crossroads, then the rest of the SoE and then finally a crisis. Most confusing turn ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
Germany
41472 Neuss
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow , so the SOE outlived the crossroads, indeed that's a hell of a turn.

So summarised that is:
1. Setup Crossroads phase
2. Apollo may use Alert Viper pilot and the resulting action
3. Continue with Crossroads phase
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
That's what we decided. But there isn't an official ruling and it isn't like FFG hasn't been known to be a little arbitrary in its rulings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rulebook states that as soon as the Fleet reaches 8 or more distance the Current Players Turn is interrupted and the Crossroads Phase begins. During the Crossroads Phase the Battle of the Ionian Nebula is setup and the Crossroads Cards and Trial are resolved. After resolving these steps the Current Players Turn resumes.
To me this means that Apollo cannot use AVP since the current players turn is aborted during Crossroads and the Battle Setup is part of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
What part of AVP says it has anything to do with anyone's turn?

Quote:
Alert Viper Pilot: When a viper is placed in a space area from the 'Reserves', you may choose to pilot it and take 1 action. You may only do this when you are on a Galactica location, excluding the brig.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would it mean that? AVP comes into play when a Viper is moved from the Reserves into space. The Ionian Nebula battle setup does just that. After Apollo takes his action, I agree that the current turn would go back into suspension and the Crossroads phase would be resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
What part of AVP says it has anything to do with anyone's turn?

Quote:
Alert Viper Pilot: When a viper is placed in a space area from the 'Reserves', you may choose to pilot it and take 1 action. You may only do this when you are on a Galactica location, excluding the brig.

It doesn't. It just feels strange that Apollo can take an Action while the game is in suspension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
umbaci wrote:
It just feels strange that Apollo can take an Action while the game is in suspension.

Yes, but there is more that feels strange in this game. But when in doubt, you must follow the statements literally. Which in this case means that Apollo gets to use his AVP. And if he has an XO and none have been played yet that turn, he could even let another character take actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it says the current player's turn is Interrupted, not ended. You will still be facing a crisis at the end of the turn if you used FTL control, or as already noted, SoE continuing or an XO or Critical Situation left to resolve.

Heck, Apollo could really jazz things up by using his AVP action to play State of Emergency
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
Heck, Apollo could really jazz things up by using his AVP action to play State of Emergency

Sick, dude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
Yes, it says the current player's turn is Interrupted, not ended. You will still be facing a crisis at the end of the turn if you used FTL control, or as already noted, SoE continuing or an XO or Critical Situation left to resolve.

I refer you to the third post here and then politely inform you that I hate you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're all welcome. I recommend you combine this play with a revealed Cylon on Caprica for maximum confusion. Also perhaps throw some people out the airlock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
Germany
41472 Neuss
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if apollo would use AVP , plays SOE and the current player gets airlocked, the turn ends right away after the SOE is played out (= no crisis after crossroads right?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Q: If a player plays "State of Emergency" and is executed (or reveals as a Cylon) before the SoE has fully resolved, do the other players still continue to gain their moves or actions?
A: (Tim, FFG, to infocynic) Yes, because SoE was played before the 'end of turn' trigger happened, it continues fully.

By extension, Player B playing SoE on Player A's turn and someone executing Player A (or Player A revealing as a Cylon) would not stop the SoE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a response from FF that basically agrees with Acenoid's list:
++++++++
Tim Uren:
"He [Apollo OPG] can pilot one of the vipers and immediately take any action available to him [I had specifically mention XO]. Specifically this happens between B. and C. of the "Set Up Battle of the Ionian Nebula" step. Hope that helps!
++++++++
Me:
I do wonder if the SoE+XO situation will become to abused/crazy that they would errata this away, but at the moment, it's like any other viper placement scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert S
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can Apollo use his AVP at the beginning of the game too, before his turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, for the simple reason that Apollo must start the game piloting a viper during step 4 of setup, and is still in that viper when step 10 of setup comes around, and he must be on Galactica and not in the Brig to use his ability, and piloting a viper is not on Galactica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.