Subject: cubes on a three player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
santiagorf nao
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all,
Today we`ve finished our first game of Steam using the map of USA and Canada. We were three players, and we stopped playing it on the 7th turn since there were no more cubes on the supply. That means, that in almost every turn we have choosen both city growth and urbanization as action tiles.

Is this something that normally occur, or our newby experience makes us to overvalue urbanization and city growth?

thanks in advance
santiagof

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
santiagorf wrote:
Hi all,
Today we`ve finished our first game of Steam using the map of USA and Canada. We were three players, and we stopped playing it on the 7th turn since there were no more cubes on the supply. That means, that in almost every turn we have choosen both city growth and urbanization as action tiles.

Is this something that normally occur, or our newby experience makes us to overvalue urbanization and city growth?

thanks in advance
santiagof

Why did you stop playing just because there were no more cubes to produce? Surely there were cubes left on the board....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
santiagorf nao
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I forgot to mention that there were no more cubes left on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
santiagorf wrote:
I forgot to mention that there were no more cubes left on the board.

You definitely played this game very wrong and made some serious rule errors. There are 50 cubes spaces on the map/display with USA/Canada; if all three players used every single shipping action in the game to ship a cube (nearly Impossible as you spend a good number of actions upping the locomotive) only 42 cubes would've been used. It was simply not mathematically possible for you all to have exhausted every cube on the board in 7 turns. You all somehow managed to ship 12 more times than was mathematically possible.

There are enough cubes that if every action in a three player game is spent shipping - again extremely unlikely and not a competitive strategy- there will be two cubes left at the end of the game. You need to go back over the rules and see what mistake(s) you made. I'd wager a guess at what you did wrong if I had any idea but your scenario is so off base I can't even guess what you all did wrong. Give it another shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I played with 3 players on a US map first I put too few goods cubes on cities. You should put the exact number printed - the rule that says put one fewer is only applicable to a 3-player game on German side of the map. Maybe you did this mistake as well ;].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BartP wrote:
When I played with 3 players on a US map first I put too few goods cubes on cities. You should put the exact number printed - the rule that says put one fewer is only applicable to a 3-player game on German side of the map. Maybe you did this mistake as well ;].

That would only account for 10 of the 20 extra cubes, and would still require the crazy assumption that they did nothing but ship every cube for every action. They might have done this but they certainly made some other stupendous error(s) as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don, believe me or not, when I did that mistake in a 3 player game, there were no cubes left in the last round of the game. Did you also take into account that there is one cube fewer (2 only) placed on each place of the vertical "resource track" (I don't remember the English equivalent)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BartP wrote:
Don, believe me or not, when I did that mistake in a 3 player game, there were no cubes left in the last round of the game. Did you also take into account that there is one cube fewer (2 only) placed on each place of the vertical "resource track" (I don't remember the English equivalent)?

He said they ran out of cubes by the seventh round. A three player game goes 10 rounds. If they placed one fewer cube in every space, and used 40 of 42 actions to ship goods; then they would have arrived at the stated result. It seems unlikely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, ok, I thought 3 player game was 8 rounds :/. Then yeah, definitely something wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
santiagorf nao
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I reread the rules, it seems we didn't limit the number of cubes to move to one blush
thanks for hinting an issue with the rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
santiagorf wrote:
I reread the rules, it seems we didn't limit the number of cubes to move to one blush
thanks for hinting an issue with the rules

That would probably get you to the cube running out by 7th round problem Glad we could help, hopefully you give it another try and enjoy it more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.