Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The rules seem to be inconsistent. I believe it says both:

(i) that an aircraft can land on a carrier that is about to be placed (mobilized) later on in the turn in the Mobilize new units phase. i.e. that, technically, aircarft actually land in the Mobilize new units phase, and as such, an aircraft carrier about to be placed serves as a legitimate landing spot.

however

(ii) the rules also say that if an aircraft doesn't have a landing spot by the end of the Non-combat movement phase, the aircraft is lost.

Although the wording seems to me inconsistent, my sense is that the rule is, that a to-be-mobilized aircraft carrier is a legitimate landing spot for an aircraft.

Can anyone verify this? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assume (ii) is true for ALL aircraft ever. Then why even write rule (i)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

The rules seem to be inconsistent. I believe it says both:

(i) that an aircraft can land on a carrier that is about to be placed (mobilized) later on in the turn in the Mobilize new units phase. i.e. that, technically, aircarft actually land in the Mobilize new units phase, and as such, an aircraft carrier about to be placed serves as a legitimate landing spot.

however

(ii) the rules also say that if an aircraft doesn't have a landing spot by the end of the Non-combat movement phase, the aircraft is lost.

Although the wording seems to me inconsistent, my sense is that the rule is, that a to-be-mobilized aircraft carrier is a legitimate landing spot for an aircraft.

Can anyone verify this? Thanks.
Yes, you can do this. It does have a landing spot, the aircraft carrier you have committed to place in that sea zone during the mobilize new units phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seth is correct. The rule actually states that "air units that cannot move to an eligible landing space by the end of the Noncombat Move phase are destroyed". The declared mobilization of a new carrier makes a sea zone an eligible landing space for two fighters and/or tactical bombers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Young
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A&AE40.2 Rulebook, pg 22 regarding where air units can move in the Noncombat Move phase states:

"A fighter or tactical bomber can land in a sea zone (even a hostile one) that is adjacent to an industrial complex you own if you will be mobilizing an aircraft carrier that you previously purchased in that zone during the Mobilize New Units phase."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.