10 Posts

RoboRally» Forums » Rules

Subject: Played my first ever RoboRally, question about the rules. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
the dare978devil
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is very good, I never would have picked it up at the game store, but it is surprisingly fun to play. We played twice in a row with my game group, and both were thoroughly enjoyable (I won neither). A question about the rules we were not able to resolve despite an in-depth read-through of the rule book :

Unfortunately, there is no FAQ in the rule book, it doesn't cover unusual situations. We were playing a 5-man game. One player (me), had 5 damage on his robot, meaning I had the 5th card locked and was only getting 4 cards per round. I had previously visited the screwdriver + hammer space, and acquired the Crap Legs card. This card allows the player to place a Move +1 on any turn card, and effectively straff (move over one square without changing direction). If you think about it, this ability means you can use one move to affect 3 normal moves (turn right, move forward 1, turn left), which is very beneficial. The cost is 2 cards, requiring you to place a Move 1 card on top of any Turn card.

In this scenario, can the player use the ability if it means they will not fill up all register slots? Because of my damage, I had only been dealt 4 cards and had 4 empty register slots (5th slot was locked). But it was to my advantage to use the ability because it allowed me to effectively move 3 times in 1 move for the price of 2 cards. That left register slot 4 open with no card to play on it. Is this allowed?

We could find nothing in the rules which stated "a player must fill all 5 register slots if possible" or anything of that nature. Additionally, a different player had the Option card which allowed him to keep a movement card on the Option card indefinitely, until he wanted to use it, and then replace the "kept" card with another. That option card very specifically stated "if the player has an additional movement card, he may...." (sorry, exact wording is not correct). But the point is, it very deliberately set out the rules stating that if you had only 4 cards and 4 open registers, you couldn't use it as you didn't have any extra movement cards to place on the Option card. But the Crab Legs option card did NOT specify that. It merely said at any time you can place a Move +1 on a turn card.

Should the play have been allowed? Was it ok to leave a register blank as a result? Is it required to fill all 5 registries each turn as the turn's first priority?

Thanks,
DD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only use the options that require multiple slots per card if you actually have the extra cards.

You might also not be aware that you can discard an option to avoid a point of damage. So you might have discarded your option rather than get a locked register. (Unless you're planning to shut down to repair the damage.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm, I'm going to have to check out the rules for a moment
but wanted to say
Welcome to the great world of RoboRally, great game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
David is correct. You always need to fill all your registers. Only if you have extra cards, can you use Crab Legs and similar options (like Dual Processor).

If you've got even one register locked, you should probably power down as soon as you can - which usually means after the very next turn, provided you can be pretty sure you won't be shut down in the path of a laser, or on a conveyor leading to a pit in one turn, or where other players are likely to seriously mess with you. Even if other players hit you once or twice while you're powered down, you'll still be much better off with just one or two points of damage than with enough to lock registers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
If you've got even one register locked, you should probably power down as soon as you can

Unless perhaps you have a good chance to tag the next flag quickly, before dying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dare978devil wrote:
Is it required to fill all 5 registries each turn as the turn's first priority?

I'd say that's a given - it helps if you look at a situation where you still have "spare" cards to play though.....

Imagine you are dealt 6 cards. By chance, you are dealt 6 "Move 1" cards. You are standing facing a pit....which is five spaces away.

Would it be okay to leave a register empty so you stopped one space short of the pit? Of course not!

The whole point of the game is that a lot of the time you end up in situations where you CAN'T do what you want, and dreadful things happen as a result. To be able to leave registers empty would enable you to avoid a whoooole lot of nastyness - so "fill every register" has to be the priority.

Sometimes that will mean you can't use an upgrade because you have no spare cards to use. C'est la rally!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Late to the show, but I'll reply aswell in case you want confirmation.

Crab legs: You can only use this if you have a spare cards, as you're not allowed to have an empty register (unless playing with a certain expansion).

I can't phrase where in the ruloes it says so, but believe me, it's so. You cannot leave empty registers, of that I am 100% sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
I can't phrase where in the ruloes it says so, but believe me, it's so. You cannot leave empty registers, of that I am 100% sure.

I'd say it's in this:

Quote:
After all players have been dealt new Program cards, you can look at your hand and choose the five cards you want to use this turn. Put those cards in the registers on your Program Sheet, face down, from left to right in the order they’ll be executed. (The registers are numbered 1 to 5.)

It doesn't say choose some cards, or choose the ones you want to use this turn. It says choose *five*.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
It doesn't say choose some cards, or choose the ones you want to use this turn. It says choose *five*.

Even when I have four cards it says choose five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Steeves
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you ever get wounded so much that you're not going to get enough (5 that is) cards for the next turn, you leave the LAST one in place. You get 4 cards, program then as best you can, and then play the previous 5th card. You can extend that logic all the way down. If you're only going to get one card, turn the FIRST card in, and then carefully play the one card you receive into the first slot.

On the other hand if you get the case you don't have cards down (like you powered down, turned all your cards in, and then your fiendish friends shoves you into a laser beam) then play the cards you have as best you can, and the remainder are random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.