Subject: Euros that leave you with a memorable move. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In chess, you often walk away from a game with a memory of an awesome move that really decided the game. It could be a queen sacrifice that led to checkmate or a pawn with an ingenious breakthrough leading to promotion. What are some euros that leave you with a memory of one awesome turn that decided the game? Many euros are exercises in efficiency and optimization, which I thoroughly enjoy. But even though I enjoyed the game, I rarely can remember that one golden move. I have experienced that on occasion in Caylus and Tigris and Euphrates. Any others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles of Burgundy is a bit like this, if you build a dark green Castle, and it finishes its area, giving you points, and maybe it even completes all of your dark green, giving you more points, and it lets you have a free action, and you build a building, that completes an area, and gives you points, and its special power is to let you build a yellow hex, which completes another area... I had a move very similar to this, chaining my moves and completing a couple of areas in one move, to the chagrin of my opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd definitely go with Village.

The killing of your people mechanic makes for some very big turns.

Also, I mean, not like a typical Euro, but Alien Frontiers has some really huge moves as well.

Also Dominant Species with it's Glaciation mechanic makes for interesting, big turns.

And I'd go with Cyclades as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Macao and Settlers both have those big epic turns that are memorable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brown
United States
Ofallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
King Agricola
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine was in Agricola. We used the Z-deck and I had "ranch" and "dozing bull". The game breaker was 14 food and 7 bonus points in one move. Devastating...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
badge
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon City is usually a pretty tight game right up to the end, but often there will be nasty Big moves along the way, and sometimes even game winning big moves at the end.

Ingenious more of an abstract, but i have been the victim of some spectacular moves more than once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely The Castles of Burgundy, I've had moves that got me around three quarters of the score track.

At the Gates of Loyang makes it possible to satisfy multiple customers in one turn, especially if you can line up some casual customers and get the +2 bonus.

Innovation also as some great power combos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
23rd June: Black Thursday :(
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent game of Agricola I played on the Renovate + Fences action space to upgrade to a stone hut at the same time as building all 15 of my fences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Castles of Burgundy is a bit like this, if you build a dark green Castle, and it finishes its area, giving you points, and maybe it even completes all of your dark green, giving you more points, and it lets you have a free action, and you build a building, that completes an area, and gives you points, and its special power is to let you build a yellow hex, which completes another area... I had a move very similar to this, chaining my moves and completing a couple of areas in one move, to the chagrin of my opponents.

I so need to play again and use this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
The Euros that get the most "post game discussion" around my tables are games like Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization, Antiquity, and Die Macher. They just lend themselves to making wicked combos, come in from behind tactics, and just more than the run of the mill short term strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRakeman wrote:
I feel like almost all Euros do have the potential for moves like this, but at lower, less experienced levels of play, it isn't always obvious. I think games like Chess have it just more apparent since it tends to be played at a very high level. I'd be more interested in if any games don't have the potential for a game breaking ultra move. I can't think of any for Puerto Rico, but I don't play that at a high level.

Of all the games I play at a high level, the ones that do not have a game breaking move.....oops. Dang. I forgot that I don't play ANY games at a high level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carson City has some huge moves in the last turn. I find the game is almost always decided in the last turn and the winner is often not who you expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get thee to Feld, stat. Burgundy, Trajan, Macao all have this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.