Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Mage Wars Arena» Forums » General

Subject: A few concerns, but first... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
I'd like to say that this game is awsome, its so much fun.

Great job Arcane Wonders, its hard to believe this is your first game.

Now, my concerns...

1.Since we only get 2 spellbooks, along with 300+ cards, per core set. What is the point of the spell tome (extra cards)? I mean we can only make 2 "decks". It just seems to me that it would have made so much more sense to release additional spellbooks for purchase with the core set instead of extra cards.

2.Why are half the spellbook pages backwards? Its really annoying...

3.This isn't the easiest game for new players... The basic rules of the game are super simple and easy. But the 100+ traits bog everything down for newbies. Since I've been learning the game I've spent so much time refering to the Glossary part of the rulebook, its crazy. Why so many?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike1977 wrote:


1.Since we only get 2 spellbooks, along with 300+ cards, per core set. What is the point of the spell tome (extra cards)? I mean we can only make 2 "decks". It just seems to me that it would have made so much more sense to release additional spellbooks for purchase with the core set instead of extra cards.


They sell (or are planning to sell) extra spell books. Or you can just go buy some 9 pocket pages and a 3 ring binder.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Jackson
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike1977 wrote:


2.Why are half the spellbook pages backwards? Its really annoying...



I was wondering the same thing. My guess was that, since it divides the book into two halves, perhaps the idea was to offer a minor visual aid when paging to a spell you want more quickly. I don't find it particularly bothersome or beneficial either way, but perhaps others do. Just a guess.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Guytan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Max Pro makes nearly identical books if you want more, however the pockets aren't big enough for sleeved cards.

You don't have to make the suggested spellbooks in the back. It is only to get you started with the game as a newcomer. The Core Spell Tome just gives you more options.

In fact, part of the real fun in the game is making your own spellbooks. So, you could definitely make more than 2 spellbooks if you wanted.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
artisan88 wrote:
Mike1977 wrote:


2.Why are half the spellbook pages backwards? Its really annoying...



I was wondering the same thing. My guess was that, since it divides the book into two halves, perhaps the idea was to offer a minor visual aid when paging to a spell you want more quickly. I don't find it particularly bothersome or beneficial either way, but perhaps others do. Just a guess.


I asked one of the Arcane Wonders people about this at Gen Con, and if I remember correctly, this was not intentional, but rather a large scale manufacturing error.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCoy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the reason half the pockets are backwards is that basically they are one sheet, which are "pinned" in the middle.

So if you take like a stack of 8.5x11 sheets of paper, and you draw boxes on one side, then you stack them up all facing the same direction. Then you fold them in half, halfway through the booklet the boxes will appear to switch sides. So, that's basically, from my understanding, what happens in manufacturing. I think a lot of third party books are like that as well.

Regardless, it's great feedback and we will look into what we can do about it!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification. It's entirely possible that's what I was told and in my mind heard "manufacturing error"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.