Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordon
Canada
Courtenay
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I recently played Labyrinth on "Wargameroom" (java) with my friend whom lives thousands of miles away. What an awesome experience. We played three games in 4 hours and the last game was tense with competition.

Wargames are so different from other boardgames and I feel like I've been missing out.

I have always put theme first and would like someone to point me towards my dream game.

Looking for:

* Fun for both 1 or 2 players. I want to play solo first.

* Modern (2000AD+)

* Smaller scale, more tactical (yet i know wargames are usually more strategic and thats fine)

* Ideally a vassal module available so I can try it out before buying it. (I am a student so i must be careful with my purchases)

* Ideally, but this is a stretch, playing Canadian troops deployed in afganistan, choosing loadouts, running operations, campaign play, etc.

* Nothing ASL complexity. Labyrinth was about the max I'm looking for.

I'm already looking forward to you guys' repsonse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S S
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranger comes pretty close to your requirements. It is tactical-level modern patrolling and SF operations. It is, however, solo, US forces only. Not sure about Vassal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Phantom Fury - The 2nd Battle for Fallujah
It simulates, at tactical scale, the combat waged by US forces during the month of November 2004 to secure the city of Fallujah and crush insurgent resistance. The game zooms in on the fighting of the 3rd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division in the Jolan District in the north-west part of the city in the morning of November 9th.

No vassal module though, but its fun and interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
How about checking into their 'system' through that? Battle for Basra Someone should 'Vassalize' them too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
For a light change of pace, there's Boots on the Ground.

Also have a look at Lock 'n Load: Heroes of the Gap and Lock 'n Load Tactical: Day of Heroes.

Firepower can do the trick, but it was published in 1984, and the weapon & squad lists haven't been updated since then, so you'd have to do a little research to bring it up to date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockhopper01 wrote:
Given the requirements, I think World at War: Eisenbach Gap and its expansions (I'm sure one of them adds Canadian forces, but I don't know which) are perfect. Platoon scale, modern (well, mid-80's against Warsaw Pact, but close enough). Small counter density makes it very playable. Chit-draw activation works really well for solo games. Very good VASSAL implementation.

World at War: The Untold Stories in this series includes Canadian units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If ever you change your mind about the time-frame, this WW II solo player game is hard to beat
(in all meanings of this expression devil):

Ambush!

It is easy to obtain on the BGG marketplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockhopper01 wrote:
Edited out to focus on what I thought was important

The two finest strictly solitaire modern wargames are Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations and Thunderbolt Apache Leader.

I'll second the Leader game recommendations. They are made for solitaire play and I think the rules are easy to pick up, with a well organized rulebook for reference. They both play out on a tactical level and much of the game involves planning aircraft loadouts. No Canadian forces unfortunately and both can be a bit pricey, but the components are well constructed and the price reflects the quality.

Both games have extensive gameplay videos posted BGG which I think give you a good idea for what you'd be in for when playing these games. I'd recommend that you take a look at the vids and if you like what you see, save your $$$ and buy one of the games. I own Hornet Leader and I'm very happy with my purchase. It's the first wargame I've bought in a long time and have no regrets. I'll probably buy Thunderbolt Apache Leader next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Goss
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, this might not meet your requirements, but I'll put it on the table anyway. You might have a look at these (the last two in the list, Congo and Angola). Don't know much about them, but they seem interesting (to me at least!).

http://shop.decisiongames.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=84
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Sangulin
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Did you see Andean Abyss? Same designer as Labyrinth:

* 1-4 players
* modern: 1990s and 2000s
* it's not tactical, but i find strategic games more suitable for solo
* vassal module available
* no canadian troops
* complexity same as Labyrinth

hth, regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zhe Leng
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xJolt wrote:

* Modern (2000AD+)

* Smaller scale, more tactical (yet i know wargames are usually more strategic and thats fine)

* Ideally a vassal module available so I can try it out before buying it. (I am a student so i must be careful with my purchases)

* Ideally, but this is a stretch, playing Canadian troops deployed in afganistan, choosing loadouts, running operations, campaign play, etc.

Loack'n Load: Heroes of the Gap satisfies most of your requirement. Another game of the same series, A day of Heroes, is also recommanded.

IIRC, some of games of the World at War series has Canadian troops, though it is in Europe, not Afganistan. It is another good choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer1963 wrote:
Okay, this might not meet your requirements, but I'll put it on the table anyway. You might have a look at these (the last two in the list, Congo and Angola). Don't know much about them, but they seem interesting (to me at least!).

http://shop.decisiongames.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=84

What he said....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Force on Force is modern, tactical and has rules for Canadians in Afghanistan.

It's minatures based which can be a hurdle on a budget. But I played my first games using Legos for soldiers and just drawng the terrain on butcher paper. You will need some D8 and D10 dice, but toehrwise you can play with no more expense than the rulebook, and then, if you like it, start collecting the soldiers and buildings etc....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.