The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Easy Mode Required! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

NT. Hong Kong
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This game definitely need an easy mode. Right now only a Hard Mode as a default.

No fun beaten by it over and over. Maybe after tailor making a killer deck and with a bit of luck, you can win it once. But no fun at all.

I have been playing the basic box, some new adventure deck, through Moria, and now Hobbit. Still frustrated and usually, just forget the past and move on, and face another failure.

I think about the Defender of the Realm. Same co-op game, same frustration, but at least, they offer some different way for player to cheat, which means Easy Mode for me. At least we could die happily.

This one, we just die angrily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Buffing
Netherlands
Almere
Flevoland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook suggests not using Shadow Cards to make the game easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the easy version is to play the first scenario - after that, it's impossible (or at least the 2nd scenario is for me right now)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
maybe play with four heroes? Extra threat, but extra resources and the ability to do more each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To make it controllably easier, stack a few cards of your choice from your deck (up to 6) during your first draw. This way you're getting the best starting hand you can from your deck, and can substantially ease the game, depending on the number of cards you stack.

From then on, play normally.

This has worked for me on very tough scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojtek Wojcik
Poland
Kraków(Cracow)
Malopolska
flag msg tools
designer
I very much like designing games but I think I prefer to play them.
badge
Metallum ... game I most proud of.
mbmbmbmbmb
For an easier mode I recommend going with a 30-35 deck then with a little bit of practice it is quite possible to construct a nice mini-killer deck against a given scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casterlyrock wrote:
This game definitely need an easy mode. Right now only a Hard Mode as a default.

No fun beaten by it over and over. Maybe after tailor making a killer deck and with a bit of luck, you can win it once. But no fun at all.

I have been playing the basic box, some new adventure deck, through Moria, and now Hobbit. Still frustrated and usually, just forget the past and move on, and face another failure.

I think about the Defender of the Realm. Same co-op game, same frustration, but at least, they offer some different way for player to cheat, which means Easy Mode for me. At least we could die happily.

This one, we just die angrily.

How many players usually take part in your adventures?
Having an extra deck usually helps a lot, even if there are more cards in the staging area. One of the players could handle two decks.

Infyra wrote:

+1

You could also try the decks suggested by FFG. I've tried the first dwarven deck and had no trouble beating most of Mirkwood/Khazad-dum. The first secrecy (Loragorn+Theodred) deck is a bit trickier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If you still want to play with the shadow cards, you could instead reveal them before declaring defender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also give yourself a number of "redraws" for the encounter deck.

So, if a reeeeaally bad card comes out, you could discard it and draw another... like 3 times during the game, or so.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried adding an additional Hero?

Maybe try: play four heroes and only count the cost of the three most expensive (i.e. highest starting threat) heroes to determine your starting threat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want an easy mode just ignore any card text you don't like. Should be easy enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
To make it controllably easier, stack a few cards of your choice from your deck (up to 6) during your first draw. This way you're getting the best starting hand you can from your deck, and can substantially ease the game, depending on the number of cards you stack.

From then on, play normally.

This has worked for me on very tough scenarios.

Then immediately draw a card that makes you discard your entire hand. devil

It always seems that as soon as I have a plan to make progress the next round a treachery or shadow effect destroys that plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Padraic Kirby
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can have up to three Gandalfs in your deck with one in play at any one time. That helps a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good ideas here. I've been struggling with this as well as it seems like the game was play balanced in co-op mode rather than solo (which is ok as it is the primary design - although I'm guessing the game gets a big percentage of solo play). Also, I like a challenge, so the mix of difficulty in the adventures is great.

I started playing in the co-op mode to learn the game and then moved to solo and immediately noticed the difference. It is key to get out of Mono sphere mode right away to play any mid or high difficulty adventures. Even still, co-op mode gives you a much higher chance of having an adequate card to deal with a situation between the two different hands.

So the way I have chosen to deal with it in solo play is to offer multiple mulligans (not just one). This still gives me a random hand but with at least 1 or 2 key cards to begin the adventure.

Also, I like the shadow and encounter cards but they do seem to create the events that really increase the difficulty for solo play due to having just one hand to deal with them, so I've been thinking of giving myself 'counterspells' to use in a game (maybe tracked by beads). They could be used to ignore a shadow effect or to put an encounter card on the bottom of the deck and draw a different one. Think of A Test of Will, etc. It could only be an ability that exists in the game in a Sphere I am not playing...

Higher difficulty Adventures would receive more counterspells. May be some thing like this:

level / counterspells
1 / 0
2-3/1
4-5/2
6-7/3
8 & up/4

Also, since I only have one core set (what a cheap sales tactic that was in an LCG FFG!) I think playing with 30 cards until one has a number of adventure packs is a great idea to keep your deck down to a set of useful cards.

That's my 2 cents...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Infyra wrote:

the rulebook should be interpreted as "you draw shadow card but there is no shadow effect"..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agrippa wrote:
You can have up to three Gandalfs in your deck with one in play at any one time. That helps a lot.

you can add 3 more gandalf from the Hobbit Saga shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
agrippa wrote:

you can add 3 more gandalf from the Hobbit Saga shake

Rule book wrote:
Additionally, no more than three copies of any card, by title, can be included in a player’s deck.
If you stick to the rule book, it would seem you can still only use three Gandalfs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

NT. Hong Kong
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Infyra wrote:

No.

This is the one and only card drawing surprise moment for the combat phase. Without this surprise, the whole combat will be a brain-burning mathematics calculation.

What this game lacking is a opponent, his hand card, his playing style. When we are only facing a pre-contructed enemy deck, all the surprise would be this "shadow card". It is a "must have" in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your experience in this game is very typical of a new player. Every veteran player here has faced countless defeats, frustrations, and beatdowns. It takes a while to learn how to build decks and play this game effectively. I have now beat every scenario solo except for Escape from Dol Guldur and Shadow and Flame (too hard with one deck), and several of them I can beat with a level of consistency. I have only played the first Hobbit scenario but didn't find that one too bad once I figured out how to beat it.

I would encourage not using any easy modes and instead figuring out how to innovate. Also play your losses to the end, you learn a lot from the "hopeless situations" and rarely get the satisfaction of climbing out of one.

Here are some key beginner tips:

1.) Willpower wins games. Do you have enough willpower in your decks? This took me a surprisingly long time to figure out that you build decks to stay ahead of this curve. You should always start with 5 or more willpower or you will find yourself behind the curve in most scenarios from the get go.

2.) Are you using plenty of low cost allies? Games are won on 2 cost allies. Actions are your most limited resource, and you get by this when you can get sufficient allies out quickly to take the questing/defending burden off of your heroes. Most games I lose happen when I can't get the right allies out quick enough.

3.) Are you watching your threat? This starts with your heroes. I prefer a starting threat of 28 or lower. It is better to use weaker heroes efficiently than to stack your deck with Elronds, Aragorns, Dain Ironfoots. Some of my favorite heroes to run have the lowest starting threat.

You would be surprised at how fun and diverse this game is once you get some cards and get the hang of it. I would be dissapointed and have grown bored by now (after well over 100 hours of play) if it were any easier or less random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

NT. Hong Kong
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I am so happy with the response of this thread. And also thank you for those who sent me direct mail about this problem.

I am glad to see that I am not the only one suffering from this problem. So, it proved that there is a problem out there.

Thank you for so many suggestions about the game playing. And I would like to add a few here:

Hand Management:
The turnover of cards in your hand is really slow. We do not have any chance of "hand management", which we found in both "LOTR TCG" and "MECCG". We played as free people and then as shadow player. It gave us chance to change our hands and better chance to win. In this game, you usually just have 1 or 2 cards in your hand and hopefully, you might get a chance to draw 1 or 2 cards from your 50 cards deck b4 you die.

So, in order to make the flow happen, can we borrow this idea: at the end of the turn, discard 1 card and draw back to hand size 6. So, it makes our deck of 50 card become meaningful. (Right now, We could probably build a 15 cards deck to play. 6 as starting hand, other 10 to be drawn til you die, building bigger deck is simply pointless)

Another reason for this is a chance to see some new cards, and take a short break. Refresh a little bit. Manage a little bit.
Right now, the whole game process is one-big-non-stop-continuous-brain-burn-process. No chance for u to say; "pass", and see what card opponents play. Every moment is a new announcement of: add threat everybody, commit everybody, reveal be ready, defence anybody, die, die die, and add threat everybody, commit everybody..... u get the point, i think.

Encounter Reveal
Reveal only 1 card for every 1-2 player.
So, for 3 or 4 players only reveal 2 cards.

Starting Gear
Pick 5 points(more or less as you like it)of whatever attachment gear and put it in play with your starting player

Hope it helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casterlyrock wrote:
This is the one and only card drawing surprise moment for the combat phase.

Well, there is also the surprise element right before the combat phase, when a new enemy gets revealed. Since you have to decide, which heroes you are holding back for combat, before this happens, it is also a very combat-related surprise element.

Quote:
Without this surprise, the whole combat will be a brain-burning mathematics calculation.

It's the same with shadow cards, you just have to consider random variables and risk management.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjd83 wrote:
I have now beat every scenario solo except for Escape from Dol Guldur and Shadow and Flame (too hard with one deck)

You could try this or this.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
mjd83 wrote:
I have now beat every scenario solo except for Escape from Dol Guldur and Shadow and Flame (too hard with one deck)

You could try this or this.

Bye
Thanee

Thanee,

First of all, fantastic job on that strategy write up, I was impressed. I wish more people would post decks with a similar card by card analysis like you have. Amazing job.

However, one thing that I noticed is that both of the decks posted required more than one core set. I am one of those stubborn players who believes you should not have to buy more than one of anything to beat a scenario. I would imagine the 3x Unexpected Courage is a pretty important piece of your solo solution for Dol Guldur.

I look forward to you posting some more strategy analysis in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is possible to do good decks without multible core sets, but for some sceanrios it will be harder. If there are a lot of treachery cards then you need 3 A test of will cards to each player... If there are a lot of bad shadow events you may need 3 Hasty strokes or Flaming brands in each deck. But most scenarios can be beaten with much less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.