Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One house rule we made which seemed to make sense was being able to, for example move just 3.75 instead of 4. Basically if you have "4 forward" maneuver, you can move 3.5 or 3.75 or anything between 3 and 4. Or if you have a "2 forward" maneuver, then you'd be able to move 1.25 or anything between 1 and 2. But if you select a "1 forward" then 1 is the minimum because you can't slow down to a stop. we only allowed the for straight moves because it would make the turn moves too complicated and we just assumed that that's the minimum move to accomplish that maneuver which is why there's no inbetween. Anyway, it's very easy to do, just stack a forward 3 on top of a forward 4, and there you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why? This seems to only take away from the importance of choosing maneuvers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uggh... why overcomplicate things? This seems REALLY unnecessary to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sagritalo
United States
Round Lake Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A house rule is a house rule. So every group gets to set their own as they agree to it.

This one does seem to needlessly complicate a rather simple movement mechanic. Does this mean though that you need to lay down two templates to figure out movement since any given template only has one range marked on it? Or are you measuring and then marking out the increments on a template then? And the different length templates other than the straight ones don't line up with each other. So, you really couldn't lay them on top of each other. And I don't think the curved templates are linear in progression between the different sizes. So using a banking 3, I think, moves you further than a banking 2 plus a banking 1. I would have to check but I seem to recall that statement posted in another thread.

Is the purpose of this to allow a pilot to get slightly better positioning? Possibly to keep a target in your firing arc or get out of an enemy's firing arc? Have you tested how cumbersome this might get when you field a larger number of ships moving up to the 8 Tie fighter on a side that might easily show up for a 100 pt game?

And remember it is a house rule. If you play with anyone who doesn't abide by it, you will need to go back to using the regulation rules. And you may find yourself at a disadvantage if you got used to being able to fiddle with your movement to get better positioning.

EDIT I reread the OP post and see that they are applying this only to straight moves which answers a bunch of my questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Foulk
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

For me the joy in pre-planned and restrictive movement is when someone missplans and overshoots or turns too tightly so anything that makes it harder to missplan takes away some of the fun.

That said if your group likes the concept then fill your boots!

The only word of warning I would say about introducing house rules is that you do it only after extensive gameplay with the original because until you do then you might be missing out on some intended consequence or subtlty in the game... believe me as an inveterate 'tinkerer' I speak from experience.

EDIT:

Actually it just occured to me that this would REALLY unbalance the game in favour of better pilot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a bad idea. First, it takes away from the planning as you can adjust your movement on the fly to a degree. Second, it's too easy to cheat. With no indication on the dial as to how far you are going to move, you can adjust for your benefit when you move. Can't tell you how many times I could have avoided base contact if I could only have shortened my movement by a fraction of a unit.

I'm a big fan of house rules though. Anything that increases the fun factor for a group is a good thing. So if it works for you, great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it's a terrible idea. It almost entirely circumvents the point of planning so that you don't end up touching another ship and losing your action. It's very close to cheating.

But since its a house rule if everyone can do it, then you are all playing by the same rules so do what you want as it'll balance out. However in saying that it does minimize the penalty for slower pilots. It allows them to stop short and keep their action. Where as before they'd lose it and that's part of being a worse pilot.

So do what you want, but to me this seems like a really poor, cheaply thought out and broken modification. It's more then just unnecessary, it's bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Idea Terence!

Fast, easy & simple. One thing I do dislike about the game is the "riding of the rails" feel to the movement. The rails really do simplify and speed up play, but at a cost.

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
kryyst wrote:
Yes it's a terrible idea. It almost entirely circumvents the point of planning so that you don't end up touching another ship and losing your action. It's very close to cheating.

More importantly, it makes it extremely easy to flank other ships, since you can just try to collide with them, stop short, and be able to shoot them at your leisure. Definitely not a fan of this idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Thunder wrote:
One thing I do dislike about the game is the "riding of the rails" feel to the movement.

But that's kinda the reality of flying a ship. You actually create a less realistic mode of movement by allowing fractional, non-'riding the rail' movement. Momentum means something, and it usually means when flying that you can't just change direction and speed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just suggesting doing it for straight movement. All you need to do for example is a place a 3 on top of a 4 board, and that's it, you can move your ship forward anywhere between the 3 and 4 mark now. Simple, nothing hard about it. (or use a 2 on top of the 3, or the 1 on top of the 2)

For the turns, I was going to leave that alone, because you really do need to move a certain distance in order to complete the turn.

Its just that for going straight, it didn't make sense that you couldn't move a fraction of a move. The difference between each move seemed too great that I thought it would help getting that perfect target angle. Even though the movement is predetermined, in reality, its really not that hard to step on the pedal or lay off the pedal just a tad bit.

And yes, we did try it and it was very easy in a 100pt game, did't slow anything down. (we didn't do it every time)

It seems like a lot of people really are against this rule but its not that big of a change. It doesn't seem to break the game. It's not like I'm saying you can place a 4 straight maneuver and then just move 1 instead. This just gives a little wiggle room for your straight moves.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion and it seemed to make perfect sense to my buddy too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Ellenberger
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
Bad. Especially since (if I'm reading it right) it allows you the opportunity to turn a miscalculated move which may result in an overlap (loss of action and inability to target the overlapped ship) into a point-blank bonus-die blastfest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ziggy2000 wrote:
Bad. Especially since (if I'm reading it right) it allows you the opportunity to turn a miscalculated move which may result in an overlap (loss of action and inability to target the overlapped ship) into a point-blank bonus-die blastfest.

You can make slight adjustments in real life, why not in a game? I'm not saying you can turn your move 4 into a turn 1 because you screwed up, I'm just saying you can move, for example, 2.75" instead of 3".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.