Chris
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd Play, 3 Player Game, took ages, like 420mins cry

We all started intending for the pirate route, Sloop.

P1 (brother) had the 4 Seamanship Pirate. arrrh That's pretty cool.
P2 (friend) had a normalish pirate, 3 Seamanship.
P3 (me) had Seamanship of 1! surprise

I thought it would be easy, but for some reason, just couldn't get many points from raids. From 3 raids, I got 1 glory, 1 failed, and some gold.
Tip: Stock up an all 3 special tokens, they are invaluable in a raid. I didn't do that, lesson learned, heh. blush
Helps to have pirate with 3+ Scouting skill too.

P3 Raiding: 1 Seamanship, (+ captain special adding 1 die) not easy for pirate, hard to roll skulls for bonus actions. Must have special weapons to back you up. Maybe I should'ave just gone merchant

Slow Start. The game was seriously slow in first 3+ hours, was so strange. I had most with 3 points! shake

The cargo cards were very well shuffled, I don't think anybody ever picked up 3 of same in one cargo buy. And most times when we got 2, it was too far away. A fair few times in this game we had players throwing all cards back.

I thought, "screw this", I'm gona be a real pirate! arrrh
The Plan: Use my pirate's 4 Leadership to have upper hand during crew combat haharrrgh Save money to purchase a Galleon, then go on a rampage.

I was in St. John's sea zone - ready for this turn to Port, upgrade ship and transfer the Ship Modifications too! yes too easy.... until P2 uses a Glory card on me, framed me for an English merchant raid! bloody pirate. laugh Now I can't enter that English St.John port. (Fist in the air, cursing)
Plans do change in this game, that's for sure! heh.
So, I went to next port, Non-English to get my Galleon.
Navy vessel (Man-o-war) moved into my area as I'm purchasing the new ship Push came to shove, I wasn't happy about delaying this game much further, so Battle it is!

Event Cards Note/Tip: When an NPC Event Captain is waiting to come onto the board (end of turn), be aware that the next event card may be a Move card...

Event Event, The new NPC Captain was not placed in my area, but my mistake was - I didn't think about the new Event card that will be flipped after my turn! The new NPC Frigate was placed on board, and event card moved it into my area!!! cry

Battle - P3 vs French Navy
I only have 1+1 seamanship, was up against 3 dice, P1 took liberty of playing NPC. Tried to get shooting happening, but lost challenge, cannons were knocked down a couple in first round I rolled no skulls, so couldn't even use my special weapons, darn it!

"Board" was my plan, that's where my pirate is strong with 4 Leadership... I lost that too. Boom boom boom, that's the sound of their cannons. Board, win! phew. arrrh

Crew Battle, I had 4 dice to his 3, 4 crew to his 3. Let's get it on!!
- - Here I should mention, my brother P1, was crowned Skull Rolling Champion of the world! I was crowned Number Rolling Champion of the world! cry - - skull
I successfully rolled no successes with 4 dice x 3 turns. 4 crew + captain died to his Zero. I was obliterated, and begun a new chapter for my Pirate board game life, heh.

Plans Change. As I said, plans change in this game, that's one of it's great aspects, always need to keep alert and adjust your play.
Now I'll be a merchant. Had 3 or 4 points by this stage. I chose a Flute this time.

New Life - Mission. There was a mission available that gave 15 gold, looked nice, but it meant getting around an NPC Pirate Frigate. I was a new captain, empty board, not much to lose, so I went for it. Lucky pirate didn't move, I reached the port in 2 turns and successfully claimed the mission. But, it meant I had to go back the way I came, and (I didn't realise this before, as my eyes were fixated on 15 gold) wow And, the card said, "any new NPC Pirates will be placed in your Sea Zone when they enter game", what the heck was I doing? I had to get from Tortuga to Trinidad as fast as I could, hopefully the events don't harm me.

Meanwhile, an amazing thing happened... Skull Champion P1 took on a Man-o-war with a Galleon. For some reason P3 (me) tool liberty of playing NPC, I think it was a revenge seeking thing arrrh haha!
Well, my smile didn't last long. This guy is amazing, he managed to almost destroy, and take over the NPC without one scratch on his Galleon, and no crew loss. Un-friggin-real! should'ave got that one on video for YouTube! heh. He wanted to over take ship, but it was seriously damaged, would have cost $30+ to fix, no point, so he kept Galleon in pristine condition

I made it! After two turns I managed to reach the port and complete the mission +1 Glory! & 15 Gold meeple

Cool glory card, Fortunately I had a glory card that said something like, "if anyone attacks you, you can pay 5 gold to use any Navy NPC to fight in your place", wow, that's like having a big brother in pre school .. this card got me thinking, "maybe I don't need to upgrade"

New thought line, I have 5 points 25 Gold, no bounties. Can I finish this as I did previous game? Yes, I can save 50 gold for stash, to get max of 5 points. Risky, but other players just saw me die, have a small ship, so why take notice of me?
... jumped from port to port until I got 3 of same (remember, cards were well shuffled, it took 3 ports to get 3 of same! 2 of same in first, no match in second, then a match in 3rd. Sold for 18. So I had around 39 gold here... was stressed about being attacked. I was in port for 1st action, and just stayed there for my whole turn, gulp that's how scared I was haha. But, there was a good (hidden) reason.

My luck for the night... I was in San Juan, in that cargo pick-up, I got 2 of same, and that symbol was "demanded" in my home port Base Terre. My home port, was 3 actions away. So, I avoided being scouted by going 1) out to sea, 2) move to home sea, 3) move to port in Base Terre. ninja
(I think this avoids being souted/attacked, please correct me if wrong)

The Win, Next turn, "Port" and sold those 2 cargo in demand, meant 12 gold, taking me over 50, stashing the gold to claim 10 point victory!!!

Other players were on 5 each I believe. They were still doing the pirate thing and trying to avoid 4 NPC Navy at same time.

I still wonder, why was it taking so long for 3 Pirates to get points?

...and yet, we all had, a lot of fun!!! So, decided to play it again the next day (that's today, ardy harrrgh arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrmer1in wrote:

Well, they are new to the game too. I'd guess they weren't doing enough Merchant Raids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
mrmer1in wrote:

Well, they are new to the game too. I'd guess they weren't doing enough Merchant Raids.

This.

It's not intuitive to most new players, but as a pirate, you should be buying special weapons and raiding (using those special weapons) as often as possible. It's your bread and butter.

EDIT: I also notice that P1 bought a galleon. That's a good ship for PvP and trading, but NOT for raiding. The Frigate is far superior for raiding. If he had taken his skull rolling magic to raiding in a frigate, he'd almost certainly have gained points much faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
tldr but I got the jist when you said you all went pirate and couldn't get enough cargo and then you wanted to buy a Galleon. Also when you quoted your seamanship ratings.

The best stats for a pirate is their Search and their ship maneuverability.

Pirates earn their VP by raiding merchants and you can't raid a merchant if you can't find one. Pirates need an excellent search.

When in port, you can buy special weapons to alter your seamanship rolls.

And sometimes you get a captain who just isn't cut out for pirating.

The Galleon is an awful ship for a pirate BTW because it's maneuverability is so poor merchants can run away easily.

Sloop pirates with a good search (3) and a good Seamanship (3) can fully dominate.

Our first game took quite a long time but the last time we played 3 player we were done in 2 hours including set up and break down. We almost felt like it went too fast and would have liked to develop our narrative more fully.

It gets faster, just play to your captain's strengths.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mrmer1in wrote:

Event Cards Note/Tip: When an NPC Event Captain is waiting to come onto the board (end of turn), be aware that the next event card may be a Move card...

Event Event, The new NPC Captain was not placed in my area, but my mistake was - I didn't think about the new Event card that will be flipped after my turn! The new NPC Frigate was placed on board, and event card moved it into my area!!! cry

you do have to consider what is going to happen next but it also sounds like you played it wrong (or we are).

The event cards that put ships out, put the ships out at the end of first player's turn. Player 1 draws event, complete's his move and then the ship comes out. Maybe you were doing that but something about your phrasing makes me guess not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
and sorry but I have to revisit this:

Pirate's earn VP by having a raid that earns at least 12 GP. A successful pirate raid actually earns you 2 VP! 1 for the raid and 1 for the stashed (eventually) gold. If you get away with little injury then you can raid again your next turn for another 2 VP.

Turn 1: Port/buy weapons, move to sea, raid
Turn 2: move adjacent, raid, port - repair/buy weapons
Turn 3: to sea, move adjacent, raid

You've got probably 5 VP total now!

Merchants play a safer route but not nearly as fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
North Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
mrmer1in wrote:

you do have to consider what is going to happen next but it also sounds like you played it wrong (or we are).

The event cards that put ships out, put the ships out at the end of first player's turn. Player 1 draws event, complete's his move and then the ship comes out. Maybe you were doing that but something about your phrasing makes me guess not.

This is actually incorrect. In your way, the first player will always have the advantage to move away from the zone where the new captain is coming, and since the 1st player never changes, that gives one person the advantage.

The term "Turn" is confusing this card cause most games consist of a "Round" consisting of every playing taking their "Turn".

In this game, "Round" is actually "Turn" and "Turn" is "Player Actions"

So Turn 1 is
a) Draw Event Card
b) Player 1 Actions
c) Player 2 Actions
d) Player 3 Actions
e) Player 4 Actions
f) Place new NPC captain if it was drawn in step "a"

Turn 2: Repeat "a" thru "f"

Edit: Reference on Page 7, top.
Quote:
Turn Sequence
1) Draw Event Card
2) Player Actions (in turn)
Once all players are finished, begin a new turn by
drawing a new Event Card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
shacky22 wrote:
This is actually incorrect. In your way, the first player will always have the advantage to move away from the zone where the new captain is coming, and since the 1st player never changes, that gives one person the advantage.

Yes, I think I was just mistaken about how we play. Though I think there's been some regular confusion over what's a round and what's a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.