Subject: How much of the expansion is extending the player count rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I really like the game, I am unlikely to ever play Eclipse with more than 6 players - in fact I am unlikely to want to play with more than 4.

The blurb does say the expansion adds "..Rare Technologies, Developments, Alliances, Ancient Homeworlds and Warp Portals..", but how much of the expansion in terms of gameplay elements, as well as components, is actually associated with allowing 7-9 players to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple of pretty comprehensive breakdowns in this forum. Are you looking for a percentage by weight or something?

I'm guessing based on some of the pics and stuff I've seen here (not a beta tester myself) but it appears that there are new techs, discoveries, ancients and exploration hexes.

So... Lots?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that 20% is about right. But all the stuff is modular and I would be surprised if anyone who likes the base game would use less than 60% of the new stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:
I would say that 20% is about right.

Is that 20% of physical components or rules (or both) are associated with the additional players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
dlhammond wrote:
I would say that 20% is about right.

Is that 20% of physical components or rules (or both) are associated with the additional players?

Maybe 20% of the components, but the 7-9 player rules are only 2 pages out of a 20 page rulebook. Almost all of my games are 4 player or less, but I didn't hesitate to preorder the expansion. It really adds a lot to the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mathue - based on that I will pre-order for Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
There are components (Ships, cubes and discs) for three additional players and rules for the 7-9 player game. None of the other expansion modules (such as you quoted) require more than 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Surely the way to look at this is: there are 4 new races to play as, new hexes (with new rules), new discoveries, new techs, Developments, Alliances.

These are all things that are good regardless of your group size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
hudcrab wrote:
Surely the way to look at this is: there are 4 new races to play as, new hexes (with new rules), new discoveries, new techs, Developments, Alliances.

I presume Alliances are not in for 3 player (and they might not be in for 4 either)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
hudcrab wrote:

I presume Alliances are not in for 3 player (and they might not be in for 4 either)

No alliances in 3 player, in 4 player two player max per alliance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tranenturm wrote:
Kamakaze wrote:
hudcrab wrote:

No alliances in 3 player, in 4 player two player max per alliance.

And you can't daisy-chain it .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.