Subject: A couple of Qs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Brian
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Dan,

We had our second game of DB on the weekend - Vortigern and his larger but weaker body of troops fell victim to Hengist, Horsa and a bloodthirsty band of Saxon psychos.

The intro can be found here if you interested.

http://wargamesdiary.wordpress.com/dux-bellorum-rules/vortig...

The British had a bundle of levies in their ranks - have to say that I think we will consign them to history and use after a few beers only as they were pretty woeful - the same protection as their attackers but with under half of the aggression meant they lasted but a few die rolls. If they were a point each or perhaps protection 6 then possibly worth it but they were swept aside quite easily by half their number of attackers. Mind you, what can you expect from levies......

The game brought up a couple of questions - if you get chance can you have a look at these:-

1) The movement rules for groups are, obviously, restrictive. It states that a Foot group can move backwards only a limited amount. What about Mounted groups - we assume they can move back their full move? As it was not mentioned (but Foot were), we were not sure if it was implying that that there was no restriction for Mounted groups or they could not do it at all. We thought the former but would check with you.

2) We gave some ordinary riders the "Javelin" optional rule. Does this now mean they can fire and move on the same turn? The rules indicate that only skirmishers have that ability but it would seem difficult to use them effectively unless they would also be allowed to move as well as fire. If they cannot fire and move, does this mean that they are prohibited from using an LP to "evade" if threatened by an enemy unit during the enemy turn as using an LP in this way is movement.

Thanks,
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The levies behaved exactly how I'd expect devil they're really ther for scenarios where you might find an advantage in fielding a larger force. I do think they should crumble if they meet with real opposition.

Onto you Qs:

1) Mounted can't move backwards as a group. I didn't want them being too fluid, but if you prefer allowing them a full move, go for it. I personally found that made them feel too well drilled.

2) Checking wording in the book, it reads badly. The intent is that foot bows can't move and shoot but foot javelins can and any mounted can. Sorry about that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mairs
United Kingdom
Sevenoaks
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks dan. if the groups cannot evade how would a group of welsh or roman cavalry evade after throwing their javelins? say two units of horsemen ride up to a group of three saxon units and throw their javelins. next turn the general places the maximum 3 LP on them (the group). the opposing general the saxon sees they are within charge range and so places 3 Lp on his group now.

when the cavalry are charged they want to interrupt and use their lp to evade. but they cant do so as a group. so they have to split up into units. say one takes two lp and one just one. the saxon lets the one with two evade and then the remaining one only has one lp and loses the bidding war and is charged by the saxons and crushed.

the only way around the problem is not to be in a group and put three lps on each unit. i can't think of another way to throw a javelin or fire a bow and get away from those nasty footmen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Your second para is correct. "Fancy" tactics, for the Dark Ages, are going to cost more LPs. House rule as you wish, of course, but I do think you run the risk of groups suddenly becoming far too fluid and 'good' in game terms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.