Matthew Sittel
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
I admit it... I am a Euro-gaming snob.
badge
I'm addicted to racing 'round the cones (autocross).
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if there were a few games that the BGG collective would agree upon as being the most overpriced game(s) for what was actually in the box. Granted the feelings might be swayed based on paying MSRP at your FLGS versus online, but if you used MSRP as a benchmark, what would you nominate as most overpriced?

For me, it's the $62.99 MSRP for Paris Connection. It comes with about 200 Flintstones-vitamin-sized wooden trains, which seem to jump the tracks and land on the floor more often than most pieces, often because the dividers provided to conceal your pieces from others are easily knocked over when constantly reaching for more trains from the supply.

I realize if I absolutely loved the game I might have less regret over the price spent, but in trying to be objective, there isn't really much in the box. Those trains must have really been expensive to construct!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread should be titled "I paid $X for a box of game components and all I get is *this*?".

If one is actually buying games as such, one rarely cares about the amount of stuff in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
IGOR: The Monster Making Game is massively overpriced, and could easily have been put in something slightly larger than a Hoyle card package. Most of the Fantasy Flight LCG core sets seem to be overpriced, but it's worked for them so far so that's never going to change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Infantry - way overpriced for what you get in the box (a few cards, a few thin cardboard maps, some tokens)

On the flip side. I'd say Claustrophobia you get alot of nice components for the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
mcsittel wrote:
...if you used MSRP as a benchmark, what would you nominate as most overpriced?
Well, since your post already had "X" in the title, I'll go for the low-hanging fruit and say:

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I thought that Silk Road at $50 MSRP was too much box for the components and game contained. I think it might have shined as a $25-30 game in a much smaller box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you care about such things, don't you at least look at pictures or lists of components? It's not like it takes more than a few seconds these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
mcsittel wrote:
I was wondering if there were a few games that the BGG collective would agree upon as being the most overpriced game(s) for what was actually in the box. Granted the feelings might be swayed based on paying MSRP at your FLGS versus online, but if you used MSRP as a benchmark, what would you nominate as most overpriced?

For me, it's the $62.99 MSRP for Paris Connection. It comes with about 200 Flintstones-vitamin-sized wooden trains, which seem to jump the tracks and land on the floor more often than most pieces, often because the dividers provided to conceal your pieces from others are easily knocked over when constantly reaching for more trains from the supply.

I realize if I absolutely loved the game I might have less regret over the price spent, but in trying to be objective, there isn't really much in the box. Those trains must have really been expensive to construct!

A lot of the games Queen Games publishes have this problem (they also come in boxes that are ridiculously oversized). My solution is to just not buy their games. Luckily for me they don't publish that many great games so it's pretty easy to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasoncarlough wrote:
A lot of the games Queen Games publishes have this problem (they also come in boxes that are ridiculously oversized. My solution is to just not buy their games. Luckily for me they don't publish that many great games so it's pretty easy to do.

Maybe they're just shooting for a reasonable average. Seen Lancaster?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kohlman
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Bowl (Third Edition) is one of the biggest ripoffs out there. Too bad I love the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of how lavish or spartan the components, the game I consider overpriced is the one I only get one or two playings out of, before losing interest in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
jasoncarlough wrote:
A lot of the games Queen Games publishes have this problem (they also come in boxes that are ridiculously oversized. My solution is to just not buy their games. Luckily for me they don't publish that many great games so it's pretty easy to do.

That one looks pretty reasonable. These factors have been a dealbreaker for me with Chicago Express though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
jasoncarlough wrote:
curtc wrote:
jasoncarlough wrote:

That one looks pretty reasonable. These factors have been a dealbreaker for me with Chicago Express though.

Take a look at Chicago Express and maybe Queen's overlavish production will look a bit better to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
Regardless of how lavish or spartan the components, the game I consider overpriced is the one I only get one or two playings out of, before losing interest in it.

I agree that there are other components to value than just the value of the components. However that doesn't stop it from feeling like a bit of ripoff to pay $60 for a game with $30 of components. Plenty of games give value in both areas; enough that games that do not, go to the bottom of my wishlist and may never get to the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt, you might consider starting this as a Geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo seemed a little expensive at $45 after unboxing it and realizing its a few tiny pieces of cardboard, 8 dice, and a small deck of cards.

It's still very enjoyable and I plan on getting my money's worth.... But yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mcsittel wrote:

Why are you still paying MSRP for games? I've talked to Norm about this and he doesn't hold grudges towards any customers of his purchasing games with higher price points online in order to save money. Boards and Bits has it for $40 Heck, if you check the BGG Marketplace, there's a used copy in very good condition for $30. Yeah, that doesn't count shipping, but still...

Also, value is subjective. Judging whether a purchase is worthwhile based on how much physical material is packed in the box is rather naive and shallow. Some of the best games I've ever played were priced high, but came with relatively few actual physical components. On the flipside, some of the worst games I've ever seen were over-produced, bloated pieces of crap that I decided to take a chance on just because it seemed to be priced low for a game stuffed full of chits, bits, counters and minis.

For the record, I think both Paris Connection and Chicago Express are both enjoyable enough to be worth $60+ pricetags, so much so that I bought their Winsome counterparts, SNCF and Wabash Cannonball for about that much some years ago. Winsome developed a track record for putting out games I liked so the price seemed well worth it. I eventually sold both and bought their Queen games counterparts because I could get higher quality components and art and turn a profit due to the cheap online prices of the Queen versions.

It's a shame so many people pass judgement on value based on a game's "chrome". Seems a bit superficial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
Take a look at Chicago Express and maybe Queen's overlavish production will look a bit better to you.

I'm well aware of Winsome Games production quality to price ratio and I don't own any of their games either. With that being said, Winsome gets a bit of a pass due to their being a small publisher, with small print runs. Queen is not in the same boat, I feel fairly confident in saying that Queen's margins on a game like Chicago Express are larger than a typical companies margins on a game at that price level. If they aren't than they should decrease the production lavishness in order to bring the price to a reasonable level.

In any case price is only part of the equation. I'd rather have a copy of Wabash Cannonball than Chicago Express, if only because the box is actually a reasonable size for the contents. I am an apartment dweller and space is at premium. I hate the idea of games on my shelf that take up twice as much (or more) space as they should. If Winsome republished Wabash Cannonball I would actually consider buying it from them (although I hate those plastic clamshell boxes). Also, if Queen republished the game in a standard sized box I would also consider buying it, even at it's current price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
Why are you still paying MSRP for games? I've talked to Norm about this and he doesn't hold grudges towards any customers of his purchasing games with higher price points online in order to save money.

You have to get permission from your FLGS to buy games online? wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
curtc wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:
Why are you still paying MSRP for games? I've talked to Norm about this and he doesn't hold grudges towards any customers of his purchasing games with higher price points online in order to save money.

You have to get permission from your FLGS to buy games online? wow

No, but as people that frequent his store to play games, it's just nice to be considerate. The relationship between a game store and board gamers is often symbiotic, the store not only providing games, but a place to meet up and play, the gamers providing the store the profit needed for it to subsist. When I said I talked to Norm, I was doing so as a guy who was concerned about the effects my online purchases might have been having on a friend and his business. I was trying to obtain information from him that would influence my purchasing decisions. I want to see my friend's business succeed, as do many that frequent his store, but I also want to get the best bang for my buck in this crappy economy.

Ultimately, my point was that if Matthew, the organizer of the Omaha Area Board Gamers guild that I belong to, and which meets at Norm's store, felt obliged to purchase all of his games from Norm at MSRP, he shouldn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
curtc wrote:
If you care about such things, don't you at least look at pictures or lists of components? It's not like it takes more than a few seconds these days.

To an extent, you have a point.

However, a good game is still a good game, and the price-point it is at, is the price-point it is at, and the components are still the components.

I'm sure it's happened, but I can't think of the last game whose price-point and components turned me away from buying it.

With Paris connection, good lawwwd... they could have even went with cardboard chits for the trains and saved even more money.

In general, what's Queen's deal with their pricing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sittel
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
I admit it... I am a Euro-gaming snob.
badge
I'm addicted to racing 'round the cones (autocross).
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
Why are you still paying MSRP for games?

I never said that I did. I simply referenced a common number to account for variations in price at online retailers. While I do most of my purchasing online, I do buy games from time to time at MSRP at my FLGS (Game Shoppe, Bellevue NE). I think it's the right thing to do; I spend a few hours there a week playing games with other guild members-it's the least I can do to thank Norm for providing the space.

hskrfn822 wrote:
It's a shame so many people pass judgement on value based on a game's "chrome". Seems a bit superficial.

The aesthetics of the game, whether estimated by the contents or just from the image on the back of the box depicting the contents, is certainly part of my overall gaming experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B'Cup x
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
hands down Munchkin. You get a few cards and one die.

You need a way to track your level, but you have to buy that seperately.

You can get an app to track levels, but thats more expensive than many full game apps!

the cards are awful quality and only recently became colour...

yet I still own the game and several expansions x
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mcsittel wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:
Why are you still paying MSRP for games?

I never said that I did. I simply referenced a common number to account for variations in price at online retailers. While I do most of my purchasing online, I do buy games from time to time at MSRP at my FLGS (Game Shoppe, Bellevue NE). I think it's the right thing to do; I spend a few hours there a week playing games with other guild members-it's the least I can do to thank Norm for providing the space.

It's cool. If you took offense, I'm sorry. I apparently inferred that you mostly bought at MSRP from The Game Shoppe from something, but was mistaken.

hskrfn822 wrote:

mcsittel wrote:
The aesthetics of the game, whether estimated by the contents or just from the image on the back of the box depicting the contents, is certainly part of my overall gaming experience.

Again, not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers, but just what CAN you estimate by the contents or box-back image? Only very superficial things. Nothing that to me is worthwhile. Your experience may differ. I try to give a game multiple plays now before passing judgement on anything, including whether the MSRP point is too high. This is all subjective though and open to interpretation, so I really don't want to argue the point further lest someone get even mildly upset about something that in the end, isn't that important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am saying this based off my original reaction before playing it. But when I bought Hansa Teutonica I opened the box and scratched my head at the components for $50 seemed just bla. Some cubes and discs. Yea 5 player boards and a double sided game board with amazing art but I was so let down.

Then I played it, and I figured it out, all that money went towards the creation of a wonderful game system and likely tons of testing time. The gameplay itself is worth the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.