Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good question... I believe you'd still get the bonus since he has completed his action, and the effect will now persist 'till the end of the phase. (I could be mistaken, but reading the card text again doesn't specify that he needs to be in play after he triggers his action.)

However, a better way to use Faramir (especially when treacheries like Necromancer's Reach are bound to come up) is to quest with your desired characters, but wait to use Faramir's ability until after you've done the staging step and drawn the encounter cards. That way, he won't be susceptible to any effects that hurt exhausted characters, yet still has an action window to trigger his ability before you resolve the quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
GeckoTH wrote:
That's a good question... I believe you'd still get the bonus since he has completed his action, and the effect will now persist 'till the end of the phase. (I could be mistaken, but reading the card text again doesn't specify that he needs to be in play after he triggers his action.)

However, a better way to use Faramir (especially when treacheries like Necromancer's Reach are bound to come up) is to quest with your desired characters, but wait to use Faramir's ability until after you've done the staging step and drawn the encounter cards. That way, he won't be susceptible to any effects that hurt exhausted characters, yet still has an action window to trigger his ability before you resolve the quest.
These are the sorts of comments that we should collect in a central place and point all the noobs at who say the game is too difficult. 9 times out of 10 it does not matter, but now and then it will be the difference between a win and a loss. If you follow a pile of these sorts of comments, the game will become much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Bateman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthewguidry wrote:

As you can all probably guess, the encounter card revealed had to be The Necromancer's Reach. One by one my allies fall into the river, including brave Faramir.

Heh, here's something you might find funny. Just moments ago, I also finished up a play of Journey Along the Anduin, and like you, I had a turn when I felt comfortably able to go "all in," but remembering The Necromancer's Reach, I left out my characters who were one hit point away from death, just in case. And so what card did I end up drawing? "Pursued by Shadow," the card where you raise your threat level for everyone NOT on the quest. Ah, the best-laid plans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm

if you exhaust faramir before the encounter card draw, then you will lose his effect if he died by the encounter reveal. he is no longer in play so logically his effect didnt stay in the quest phase. but yes better way is use him after encounter draw.

my humble opinion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, actions don't hang around and turn on and off depending on change in game state. They get executed and resolved. When Faramir's action gets executed, each character controlled by that player gets +1 Willpower until the end of the phase. It's resolved. It doesn't matter what happens to Faramir after that ... he's bestowed his benefit, the characters have +1 Willpower locked in until end of phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjan Loonstra
Netherlands
flag msg tools
GeckoTH wrote:

I find this a very useful tip. I, for some reason, assumed the way to play it was using the ability when committing characters to quest. You point out how crucial timing on playing abilities and actions can be.
Like this you can see if it is actually needed to use the ability and even avoid the palantir hitting Faramir in this case.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.