Subject: In Germany for two weeks...any must buys? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Fitz
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey All,

I'm headed to Germany tomorrow for two weeks (might hit a few other countries), and just wondering...

Are there any games in Germany right now that no one is really exporting to the US, that would be a missed opportunity not to grab while there? It seems like nowadays you can pretty much get a game from anywhere, and there are online stores that cater to shipping games from Europe. But maybe there are some games that have fallen between the cracks?

Preference would be given to smaller games that are easier to pack, natch.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Best/Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
The first one that comes to my mind is Kaivai. Another one would be the german version of Glory to Rome (if you don't like the english art or Black Box edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several games that are quite expensive (for various reasons) in North America that can be purchased for very cheap in Europe. K2, Balloon Cup, and Chinatown come to mind. All great games, which can be purchased for less than $20 after conversion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Planet Steam or Prêt-à-Porter...

Both of these are a pain in the ass to get here in the USA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Berry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
Planet Steam or Prêt-à-Porter...

Both of these are a pain in the ass to get here in the USA.

my flgs was carrying PaP i figured it was easy to get is that not the case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know Splotter no longer has a North American distributor. Go to their homepage and see if any of their currently in print games have interest.

ps I assume you are going to Essen? If not, you want to be there, and we can explain why if this is news to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Fitz
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Okay I'm going to have to plead ignorance here...what's special about Essen (other than it sounds like the word 'food' to me in my nonexistent German speaking ability)?

I'm going to be in Cologne and Dusseldorf mostly, so Essen is very nearby. Is it some kind of board gaming mecca?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Fitz
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Okay I just used the intergoogles to find my own answer.

Unfortunately it looks like Essen starts October 18th, but I'll already be back by the 4th .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico Deluxe. The coins are gold colored in Europe, vs. bronze here, and the price is much lower in Europe--like 35 euros or something. Will require some paste ups unless you have lots of PR games under your belt.

Fjords is $50 here, and 15 euros in Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Bouncy
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows in the Forest looks really cool and dangerous for a kids game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YES! The world's best board gaming convention is there!

http://www.internationalespieltage.de/e000.php4

Oct 18-24. If you are in Germany then, you want to be there. You will get the opportunity to buy games that will never be seen in NA. You will have a blast.
If you are on vacation, then well it could well be the best part of it. If you are overseas on business, well, it is a reason to spend your weekend there -- but earlier is better, so see if you can knock off work and get there.

There is a whole forum about it.
http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/115/boardgamegeek/essen

There are many geeklists too. One is a geeklist of lists of what new games people want to see of those about to be shown in Essen, but for some reason I cannot find the thing.

ps -- get your hotel rooms in Essen now, if you know your dates, because the town fills up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oops, it took me too long to write that, so the OP doesn't need this. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should send a note to http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/97/boardgamegeek/germany if you haven't already asking which stores you should visit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The City. No English version has been announced, and it is not easy to get in the US. It is a small card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.