Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Bauer
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the supply of Influence Cubes meant to be fixed at 25? If so, what do you do when all of your cubes are on the board or in your Influence Pool and you want to play a new technology?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harkins
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Play games and be awesome!
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesDirect wrote:
Is the supply of Influence Cubes meant to be fixed at 25? If so, what do you do when all of your cubes are on the board or in your Influence Pool and you want to play a new technology?

The 25 is not a mechanical limit, so if you're out of cubes a replacement should be found to continue playing.

We did some math to figure out how many would cover the majority of games, and 25 seemed good (considering 2 are used for turn order and scoring track). It doesn't seem to come up often that there aren't enough, but it's certainly possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesDirect wrote:

Wow, I've never been close to having all my cubes on the board in the games I have played...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harkins
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Play games and be awesome!
mbmbmbmbmb
shigadeyo wrote:
GamesDirect wrote:

Wow, I've never been close to having all my cubes on the board in the games I have played...

I don't recall the exact numbers, but I think it's possible to get over 30 (or maybe even 40) on the board with all the actions and between-round cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Bauer
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but at least two players had a lot of cubes on some of the high-scoring techs like Internet and Space Flight. And with only one cube coming back to the Influence Pool for the winner of each card, a lot of cubes were tied up on just a few cards. I finished third out of three, so perhaps it's not a winning strategy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played our first full game and this came up too. Thanks for asking and responding to this.

We had a two player game and both ran out and started using cubes from our influence pool, then realized this was negatively affecting our ability to place influence cubes and decided to use cubes from the other player colors. I am thinking we ran out of cubes because we didn't add many duplicate tech cards causing the removal of the cards further down the timeline along with the cubes on these cards which go to the supply pool. I think we only added one duplicate tech card.

EDITED 12/3/2012:

I figured out why we ran out of cubes in our game. We played 6 rounds instead of 4. By re-reading the rules before a follow-up 4 player game I found out the way or our error. It seemed logical at the time, keep adding new timeframes until they ran out leading to 6 rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.