United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did I buy three packs of Mayday sleeves? I've heard all the horror stories, but they were sitting there right next to 7 Wonders. "I guess I don't mind if a couple are bad" I said to myself.

Wow. Maybe six out of the 300 actually fit well all of the others were way too small or split as soon as I tried to put a card in them. And no, they aren't premium, but one shouldn't have to buy premium to get a product that works.

I've contacted customer support, but I doubt I'll ever hear anything back from them. Lesson learned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Odd, I sleeved all of mine without a single problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
I don't doubt they're capable of sending out a few batches that are cut properly, but they're all equally able to send out packs of useless junk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:

Consistency in the manufacturing process is not a trait associated with their sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Sarah doesn't get back to you in a day or two please feel free to geekmail me or email me directly at seth@maydaygames.com and we'll be happy to send you some replacements. We haven't had many reports of problems with these sleeves, but with over 10,000 packs produced of this type just this year, I'm not surprised there are a few bad packs. I'm very sorry for the trouble!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maydaygames wrote:
I'm not surprised there are a few bad packs.

maydaygames wrote:
there are a few bad packs.

maydaygames wrote:
a few bad packs.

maydaygames wrote:
few bad packs

maydaygames wrote:
few bad packs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a question of the quantity of sleeves we sell more than it is about huge inconsistencies. We go through over 300 boxes of sleeves per month, each box having 100 packs in it. That is 30,000 packs of sleeves per month, each pack has either 50 or 100 sleeves in them, so you are looking at 1.5 million - 3 million sleeves per month. They aren't always 100%, but we do stand behind them 100%. Here is a shot of our warehouse as we get in our monthly shipment, just in the USA. We also have a warehouse in Germany.

Anyone who has any problems with our sleeves EVER need only tell us at maydaygames@gmail.com and we will get replacements sent right out, at our expense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was contacted by Sarah. Not sure I'm going to bother, really. I don't buy the argument of volume. I've bought thousands of sleeves from just about every vendor, including ones that sell more than you, and I've never had any vary in size like this. Ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Rex
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've purchased about 3500 Mayday sleeves in various sizes and the last two packs I bought were too small. I contacted Sarah and I had the replacements inside of two weeks. For the price the sleeves are great and getting free replacements with no fuss is nice too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did eventually get replacements and they were just as bad. Money wasted, lesson learned. I will likely never buy anything with the Mayday logo on it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horrid Beast wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:
I did eventually get replacements and they were just as bad. Money wasted, lesson learned. I will likely never buy anything with the Mayday logo on it again.

Well I am sure it is not going to bother them in the grand scheme of things. They did their best...
So then "they did their best" is now a legitimate excuse for a company failing to provide a product that does what it was intended to do? Sure your car doesn't move and we sent you another that doesn't either, but we did our best.

Stuff like this should bother them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horrid Beast wrote:
Well I am sure it is not going to bother them in the grand scheme of things. They did their best...

They failed (twice) to provide sleeves that fit the card size advertised. They in no way "did their best".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horrid Beast wrote:
Well no because you are not going to give them another chance. Mayday has stated that: "Anyone who has any problems with our sleeves EVER need only tell us at maydaygames@gmail.com and we will get replacements sent right out, at our expense"

Give them another shot. Are you sure the cards are not the problem? I only ask because different game companies tend to have slightly larger or smaller cards than others when they are specified as a certain size.
How many piles of useless sleeves do I need? Or should I just keep going out and buying more hoping that, by golly, maybe today I'll get lucky and these lot wont suck!

And yes, I'm pretty sure the cards are all the same size. I can stack them all up and and not tell the difference. I can even take a card that is sleeved and try to put it one of the junk sleeves and it doesn't fit.

I understand there are a lot of knuckleheaded people that do stupid things, but I think I can manage to understand sleeving some cards. Please don't lay the blame on me for a company that can't deliver a consistent quality product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And Mayday games: tipping anyone that says anything nice about you in (I think anyway) a legitimate complaint thread seems a little... wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
cold_fuzion wrote:
And Mayday games: tipping anyone that says anything nice about you in (I think anyway) a legitimate complaint thread seems a little... wrong.

Not the first time they've 'bought' good publicity. They gave away free items to anyone who reviewed their Crokinole board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
Horrid Beast wrote:

They failed (twice) to provide sleeves that fit the card size advertised. They in no way "did their best".

Maybe they actually "did their best."

What does that tell you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
EitherOrlok wrote:
Horrid Beast wrote:

Maybe they actually "did their best."

What does that tell you?
They probably did try, but if that's the best they have to offer, I don't wish to do business with them again nor would I suggest it to anyone I know. It's a plastic sleeve. It shouldn't be too difficult to get most of them the right size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Rex
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
droshack wrote:
These Mayday apologists are truly a bizarre lot.

The worst part is I think they are ACTUAL people and not just Mayday employees which makes it all the more pathetic.

Companies really need to be making products that look, function and perform in the long term... not just send out junk on top of junk on top of more junk and then blame the victim for not being patient enough.

Truly a repulsive company as well as those defending, apologizing and encouraging others to do the same.

I'm just stating the facts of my purchases. I've received well over 4,000 sleeves and the one time I had a problem it was resolved in a cordial and timely fashion. I fail to see how that makes me bizarre, pathetic or repulsive but I'm pretty sure anything else I say will just be derided as fanboy drivel so fuck it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
droshack wrote:
These Mayday apologists are truly a bizarre lot.

The worst part is I think they are ACTUAL people and not just Mayday employees which makes it all the more pathetic.

Personally, of all the sleeves that I have bought that were Mayday, I've never had one not fit what it was supposed to fit. Not sure how that makes me bizarre.

If anything is bizarre it's the fact that every time one of these threads pops up, instantly the anti-Mayday crowd swarms like it's their civic duty and derides anyone who has positive experiences with Mayday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
Rokkr wrote:

Consistency in the manufacturing process is not a trait associated with their sleeves.

QFT.

I used to buy several packs of sleeves from them. There was always some minimal variation in sleeve length between packs, but I would grumble to myself and live with it. Then I bought two packs that were DRASTICALLY different. I contacted Mayday and they were very nice and sent me some new packs. I didn't know which of the original packs was the "right" length and which was "wrong", so I waited until I got the replacement sleeves. Of course, they didn't match EITHER of the first two packs, giving me three different sizes in three packs. When the replacement sleeves are just as off as the original defective sleeves, why bother asking for more replacements?

To their credit, Mayday has always been very nice and replaced packs without hesitation. The problem isn't that they're not friendly--they are (and have been every time I've dealt with them--I give them credit for that), the problem is that they are selling a product that is defective at the MANUFACTURING level. And, sad to say, it appears they have not fixed that problem in the several years since I switched away from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vacabck wrote:
Personally, of all the sleeves that I have bought that were Mayday, I've never had one not fit what it was supposed to fit. Not sure how that makes me bizarre.

Same here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bkunes wrote:
Vacabck wrote:

Same here.

I've bought thousands of sleeves from Mayday. Direct and from OLGSs and FLGSs.

Had two sleeves in one pack that were split on arrival, but it didn't matter for the game because I had more than enough extras. Still, I can understand how that would be frustrating if you bought 100 sleeves and had 100 cards to sleeve.

Had one pack where some of the cards fit more tightly than others, but not by enough to complain about.

The standard sleeves are good, but Mayday's premium sleeves are fantastic. All the sleeves of both kinds have lasted.

So, no real complaints from me.

I sleeved my game of Seasons in Dragonshields, which are ballistic quality practically, and I regret that I didn't use the premium Maydays for them because the Dragonshields are overkill. That said, the Dragonshields are probably the most clear of all sleeves (no cloudiness or matte finish at all), so the great graphics on the Seasons cards still pop.

I use KMC Perfect sleeves for anything M:TG-sized. Those sleeves really are perfect for that size and the fit is as close to a second skin as is possible in card sleeves. Nothing else comes close. Nothing.

I used UltraPro early on, but never saw any difference in them from Mayday, and Mayday carries sizes that don't come in UltraPro.

I have some FFG 70x70s coming because Mayday doesn't have that size yet (though it should when it starts stocking the full Swan Panasia line).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.