Rick Blaha
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
What a Terrible Night to Have a Curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
In short, I am looking for a game that captures the political battle that I get from Twilight Struggle, but can play with more than two. For example, I am thinking about competing ideologies, such as democracy against totalitarianism against monarchy against anarchy in whatever form that may be. The only game I have come across in the database in the same vein is Democracy: Majority Rules.

Can anyone recommend other titles that are worth playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's hard to say without more detail. I know exactly what you want but can't think of anything. Would Tammany Hall strike your fancy?

*edit* You can always check out the new game Virgin Queen or its predecessor, Here I Stand

*edit 2* Looking through the political category, there appear to be lots of choices. The Republic of Rome or the lighter game influenced by it, Sylla, may be worth looking at as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liberté plays from 3-6 players and has 3 factions:

Quote:
There are three factions, the Radicals (red), the Moderates (blue), and the Royalists (white).

Revolution! plays with 3-4, but it's not a historical game.

A game like Junta might provide some deliciously evil fun, but this is more about competing government structures rather than different ideologies. (That is, the "money" ideology is a common theme.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico
Italy
Val di Non
Trentino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Divided Republic has similar mechanics to 1960 (and Twilight Struggle), but allows for more players and is actually best with 4. It is about the 1860 US presidential election, with the secession looming on the background. If you want you can read my review here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Swedish Parliament might do it for you.

We need Harald

Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb

to make some more. Getting a copy now is very difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Carpe Astra is another one you might want to look at. It's for 2-4 and it's all about gaining political support from various guilds and slandering your opponents so they lose support. For me, this game really portrays the political struggle well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hay
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
König von Siam is a neat little 2-3 player game that might fit the bill of what you're looking for. It has four powers vying for control of South East Asia - Laos, Malaysia, the Siamese Royals, and the British. The players don't represent these powers, but play as noblemen who are seeking to manipulate the situation for their own gain, influencing control of regions while currying favour with the faction(s) that they hope will win.

It plays in 30 minutes and is fairly abstract, but imo has a similar feel to TS in manipulating the timing of a combination of good and bad events to come out on top. The rules have a 4 player team variant that I haven't tried yet, but I can testify to its awesomeness with two and particularly with three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
badge
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
mbmbmbmbmb
Attack! has different ideologies fighting towards slightly different goals.

I did'nt play it enough to know if it has any impact in the long run.

edit: you will need this for the politics part Attack! Expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played it, so I'm not sure... but wouldn't Die Macher be a good candidate?

Edit: Or not? I don't know. It's certainly got the 2+ political aspect down...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
admin
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
Founding Fathers

From BGG Entry - "Newest game from the pair that made 1960: The Making of the President. The goal here is to be the founding father with the most renown at the end of the game, which consists of the making of the US constitution. Players have a hand of delegates that represent a state, defend an issue and have a special ability. A different issue of the constitution is considered each round while players use delegates to either help or go against the issue."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ideology: The War of Ideas This one is actually pretty good.

For something more old school wargame, there is Cold War or United Nations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.