Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

Ticket to Ride» Forums » News

Subject: Ticket To Ride heads to Africa ! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://blog.daysofwonder.com/2012/09/24/new-ticket-to-ride-m...

cool
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Only a single sided board. Seems to go backwards with that?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reigns
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's gonna take a lot to get me to not buy you.
There's nothin that 100 trains or more could ever do.
17 
 Thumb up
1.30
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Only a single sided board. Seems to go backwards with that?
To me, that alone wouldn't be the issue. It'd also be if they recycled a previous map (e.g. India/Swiss... I alr have Swiss, but at least can better combine my games by having one less board to lug around). Ideally, I wish it could've been like TtR Asia with 2 new maps. However, I suspect that DoW may not wanna do this as it could mean less $$ for them
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PhoenixPez wrote:
It's gonna take a lot to get me to not buy you.
There's nothin that 100 trains or more could ever do.


Thumb for second line.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't put my finger on it but the boards actually REPELS me from wanting to play TTR. I'll pass.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, that map is kinda ugly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PhoenixPez wrote:
It's gonna take a lot to get me to not buy you.
There's nothin that 100 trains or more could ever do.


I'm totoly with you on that one.
3 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PhoenixPez wrote:
It's gonna take a lot to get me to not buy you.
There's nothin that 100 trains or more could ever do.


Anyone else hear drums...? Kind of echoing...?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The blank rear side of the board just means one more place to put some of the nice print'n'play maps like London Underground.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen klump
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
By my quick count, the map seems out of colour-balance? E.g.,
* 34 blue links (+2 doubled)
* 29 red (+5)
* 29 yellow (+4)
* 29 white (+6)
etc.

Also, the colour choices per link seem to cluster each in their own areas of concentration - i.e., many cities have multiple links of the same colour.

This all may be on purpose, or else maybe the cards may balance it out.

Anyway, always good to see updates.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sklump wrote:
By my quick count, the map seems out of colour-balance? E.g.,
* 34 blue links (+2 doubled)
* 29 red (+5)
* 29 yellow (+4)
* 29 white (+6)
etc.

Also, the colour choices per link seem to cluster each in their own areas of concentration - i.e., many cities have multiple links of the same colour.

This all may be on purpose, or else maybe the cards may balance it out.

Anyway, always good to see updates.


My guess is that the "color clusters" are related to the new terrain rules.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nightglider1 wrote:
sklump wrote:
By my quick count, the map seems out of colour-balance? E.g.,
* 34 blue links (+2 doubled)
* 29 red (+5)
* 29 yellow (+4)
* 29 white (+6)
etc.

Also, the colour choices per link seem to cluster each in their own areas of concentration - i.e., many cities have multiple links of the same colour.

This all may be on purpose, or else maybe the cards may balance it out.

Anyway, always good to see updates.


My guess is that the "color clusters" are related to the new terrain rules.
It seems it may be both gameplay-wise AND thematic reasons... as in geographically, grasslands corresponds where you see green routes, black routes are really where you see mountains and cliffs, etc.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sklump wrote:
By my quick count, the map seems out of colour-balance? E.g.,
* 34 blue links (+2 doubled)
* 29 red (+5)
* 29 yellow (+4)
* 29 white (+6)
etc.


As far as I see, there are 33-34 of each colour, except for purple, which has 36 for some reason. So the colour balance seems all right for me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
nightglider1 wrote:
sklump wrote:
By my quick count, the map seems out of colour-balance? E.g.,
* 34 blue links (+2 doubled)
* 29 red (+5)
* 29 yellow (+4)
* 29 white (+6)
etc.

Also, the colour choices per link seem to cluster each in their own areas of concentration - i.e., many cities have multiple links of the same colour.

This all may be on purpose, or else maybe the cards may balance it out.

Anyway, always good to see updates.


My guess is that the "color clusters" are related to the new terrain rules.
It seems it may be both gameplay-wise AND thematic reasons... as in geographically, grasslands corresponds where you see green routes, black routes are really where you see mountains and cliffs, etc.


Could very well be. Sadly, about the only thing I know about Africa's geography is that Kilamanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti. whistle
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klil Klil
South Africa
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mb
Yay! Looking forward to this as I'm from South Africa. Just wished I had more friends that's interested in playing board games.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Horrid Beast wrote:
Since Nordic and Switzerland the TtR series has freefalled. It is kinda like putting lipstick on a pig now... A bit like the ridiculous Catan Catapult. Oh hey wait a minute, DoW already did something similar with Alvin & Dexter shake


I wouldn't say that at all. Team Asia is a refreshing change.

Have you played Alvin and Dexter? The gamers I've introduced it to enjoy the added complexity. It seems silly on the surface, but requires more strategic play. It's not something I use for casual games, but once in a while it's nice to spice things up.

By the way, the catapult was Carcassonne...
2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen klump
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fomalhaut wrote:
sklump wrote:
By my quick count, the map seems out of colour-balance? E.g.,
* 34 blue links (+2 doubled)
* 29 red (+5)
* 29 yellow (+4)
* 29 white (+6)
etc.


As far as I see, there are 33-34 of each colour, except for purple, which has 36 for some reason. So the colour balance seems all right for me.


Ah! But unless playing 4-5 players, the doubled links are out of the game. In the end it's the same thing I guess, just all (2-3) players know to favour blue wagons when they come up, all other things being equal.

Sorry if this is too pedantic blush.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Horrid Beast wrote:

I am gonna be straight and tell you Team Asia is a stinker. Cheers on the Carcassonne oversight. Both of those games seem to blur into one for me lol. I don't really play anything TtR except Switzerland these days even though I own the Asia maps. There is just not enough in them for me and I would rather play India anyhow...


The ratings would seem to put you in the minority, but opinions will obviously vary. For instance, I think Nordic Countries is far superior to Switzerland due to the dominance of the East-West tickets in the latter.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sklump wrote:
Fomalhaut wrote:
sklump wrote:
By my quick count, the map seems out of colour-balance? E.g.,
* 34 blue links (+2 doubled)
* 29 red (+5)
* 29 yellow (+4)
* 29 white (+6)
etc.


As far as I see, there are 33-34 of each colour, except for purple, which has 36 for some reason. So the colour balance seems all right for me.


Ah! But unless playing 4-5 players, the doubled links are out of the game. In the end it's the same thing I guess, just all (2-3) players know to favour blue wagons when they come up, all other things being equal.


Another way of interpreting it, is that the many single blue lines are single because they are not built that often, so in the end blue is not used more than the other colours, even in a 2-3 player game.

sklump wrote:
Sorry if this is too pedantic blush.


Were are all pedantic. That's why we're here...

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Horrid Beast wrote:
I have played enough three player games of Switzerland to know that your point of view is erroneous. Often times the player going north-south wins comfortably... If playing two player, you often go to three countries anyway. The destination tickets in Switzerland are better than Nordic too and in Nordic you only really sit in the south anyway. Therefore, your view is a bit redundant IMHO. And India is a pretty tight and fun map too (but you would probably not like that as it is triangular).


So, obviously your view is the only valid one, and no one else's opinion matters. Sorry, I should have recognized that from the beginning.

I guess we're done here.

shake
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen klump
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fomalhaut wrote:
sklump wrote:
Fomalhaut wrote:
sklump wrote:
By my quick count, the map seems out of colour-balance? E.g.,
* 34 blue links (+2 doubled)
* 29 red (+5)
* 29 yellow (+4)
* 29 white (+6)
etc.


As far as I see, there are 33-34 of each colour, except for purple, which has 36 for some reason. So the colour balance seems all right for me.


Ah! But unless playing 4-5 players, the doubled links are out of the game. In the end it's the same thing I guess, just all (2-3) players know to favour blue wagons when they come up, all other things being equal.


Another way of interpreting it, is that the many single blue lines are single because they are not built that often, so in the end blue is not used more than the other colours, even in a 2-3 player game.
...


Ah yes, it depends on the ticket deck then - I'll assume they've playtested it to perfection in any case.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.