Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Have recently started the Campaign game with some friends, with me as the Overlord.

We skipped the introduction as that seemed too trivial and started with The Fat Goblin.

I won that, but it was a close and enjoyable game.

I then selected Castle Daerion and I slaughtered the heroes.

In Encounter 1 I killed all 4 villages and to be honest, I can't possibly see how that could end any other way.

Encounter 2 was a real disappointed as I killed off Sir Palamon in my second turn. He was quickly surrounded by 4 zombie villagers, an Ettin, Sir Alric and some ranged shots from a couple of Flesh Moulders.

The outcome seemed inevitable as Sir Palamon died before the heroes could even reach him, let alone start defending him.

Anyway this is where I'm probably too nice to be an overlord. Although I should be picking the next Act I mission, I've said the heroes can do so.

Also wonder whether we should play First Blood retrospectively, just to get the XPs - or just award them. What is the typical outcome for First Blood, hero or overlord victory?

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Βραδύπους Ένα
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kill them all. Overlord rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you should play First Blood, in order for the Heroes to gain XP and Search Tokens. Typically, the Heroes win that one. Some have suggested skipping it, but awarding the XP and gold as if the Heroes searched 2-4 tokens and won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cherish these early victories, as soon as the heroes get a few experience points they'll be brutalising your minions remorselessly.

In my campaign we just started Act II (with Blood of Heroes) and my poor monsters never had a chance. At least it was over quickly so I didn't have to watch the humiliation unfold for too long.

Show no mercy, you'll regret it later on if you do.sauron

(First Blood tends to be an easy hero victory, I'd say just award the XP and keep going, not worth going back to now that you've skipped it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
You should definitely award the XP from First Blood if you skipped it. The heroes should also have some gold from the search tokens in that quest (I think the heroes in my current campaign searched everything and made off with around 150 gold from First Blood).

First Blood seems slanted toward the heroes to me, although I've seen others post the opposite, so it's probably pretty balanced overall. It doesn't really matter, though, since there is no reward for winning it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
nheather wrote:
Have recently started the Campaign game with some friends, with me as the Overlord.

We skipped the introduction as that seemed too trivial and started with The Fat Goblin.

In Encounter 1 I killed all 4 villages and to be honest, I can't possibly see how that could end any other way.

Encounter 2 was a real disappointed as I killed off Sir Palamon in my second turn. He was quickly surrounded by 4 zombie villagers, an Ettin, Sir Alric and some ranged shots from a couple of Flesh Moulders.

The outcome seemed inevitable as Sir Palamon died before the heroes could even reach him, let alone start defending him.

Anyway this is where I'm probably too nice to be an overlord. Although I should be picking the next Act I mission, I've said the heroes can do so.

Also wonder whether we should play First Blood retrospectively, just to get the XPs - or just award them. What is the typical outcome for First Blood, hero or overlord victory?

Cheers,

Nigel

So you're too kind to be overlord, but not kind enough to let the heroes have the gold and XP that they should have been awarded from the intro quest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
nheather wrote:

Cheers,

Nigel

So you're too kind to be overlord, but not kind enough to let the heroes have the gold and XP that they should have been awarded from the intro quest?

Half the issue with people saying the game is unbalanced, favouring the OL, are probably the ones who decided for some foolish reason to skip the intro quest. What hero in their right mind would want to miss out on that early easy XP and loot? surprise

Peristarkawan wrote:
It doesn't really matter, though, since there is no reward for winning it.

An XP and maybe some cash is a pretty reasonable reward to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
minksling wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:

That's the reward for participation, not for winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reward for winning is picking the next quest. Since the Act 1 quests are not balanced this is a huge advantage. The heroes should win First Blood then pick either Fat Goblin or Death on the Wing depending on their class makeup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
minksling wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:

That's the reward for participation, not for winning.

True true, I stand corrected; it is as above - the choice of the next mission

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies.

I have already decided tht we should get the XP and some Gold as id we had played First Blood.

There was good reason that we skipped it. Initially, the plan was to play a single mission, First Blood seemed trivial so we picked Fat Goblin. As we played we realised how much we were enjoying it and so decided to continue as the full campaign.

Fat Goblin was really close - would have been a Hero win but for just the right card at the right time for the Overlord.

Castle Daerion came as a bit of a shock as it was so one-sided and looking back we can't imagine how the heroes could ever win that one.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
Germany
flag msg tools
Move along, move along...
mbmbmbmbmb
nheather wrote:
Castle Daerion came as a bit of a shock as it was so one-sided and looking back we can't imagine how the heroes could ever win that one.

We are in the middle of e2 of Castle Daerion and so far it looks quite balanced. From e1, both the heros and the OL (me) managed to get 2 minions/militia to carry over in e2. At the end of the current turn 4, Sir Palamon is besieged by monsters having received about 18 damage, but he has called in already 3 reinforcements and the 3 heros are cleaning up quite a bit. Very enjoyable and both sides still have a fair chance at carrying this one home.

This by the way reflects the very limited experience we had with the game so far. Lots of fun, with good swings back and forward, but overall balanced. Now, we are not competitive or min/max players so we have had no trouble with LOS, card wording or many of the other topics that are so extensively discussed here in the forums. We play by RAW as much as possible and resolve all other issues amicably and using common sense. With this mind set, we found the game highly enjoyable so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Oord
Netherlands
SNAKKERBUREN
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

You let them choose their burial grounds and call yourself to kind?

Now THAT is evil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.