Andrew Kozma
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Why the Heck Are We Driving?
A competitive card game about who gets there first.

Link to PnP Files and Instructions (and Questionnaire):
Why The Heck Are We Driving?

Soundbite: Why the Heck Are We Driving? is a cut-throat card game for 2-7 players.

Overview: Why The Heck Are We Driving? is a card game with one goal: Reach your destination first. Each driver has four Attributes (Gas, Energy, Sanity, and Bladder/Intestinal Fortitude) that are constantly in danger of running out. The tasks of refueling the car, re-energizing the body, going to the bathroom, and recovering sanity waste valuable time that could be spent driving, so you need to be as efficient as possible. Your enemies are the road and the other drivers, who’ve got a whole handful of card tricks they can use to make your life difficult.

Players: 2-7
Estimated Play Time: 1-2 hours
Category: Racing, Humor
Mechanics: Cards, Dice-Rolling, Hand Management

Components Needed for Playtesting:
A print-out of the card set
A six-sided die for random event rolls
For the first-time recommended game, a die per person that’s at least six-sided. For optional larger mileage goals, dice that go higher.
Counters (i.e., pennies, pieces of paper, lint)

Questions We Would Love Answered:
a.) How easy was it to read the rules and learn the game?
b.) How easy was it to teach the game?
c.) How easy was it to play through your first game?
d.) Is the card design easy to understand and attractive?
e.) Are there cards that stall the game?
f.) Are there cards that your group just doesn't like? Why?
g.) Are there cards that seem useless in general play?
h.) Did you enjoy the game?
i.) Did you want to play the game again?
j.) How many players did you play with? If you played more than once and with different numbers of players, how did that impact your game experience?
k.) If you played to different mileage goals than the first-time-recommended goal, how did that impact your game experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Amusing. But is there any way to shorten "Bladder and Intestinal Fortitude?"

I realize that the art is mostly just placeholders, but some of it was a little too PG-13 for the young'uns, which is unfortunate, but I think that young players could handle this, gameplay wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kozma
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
First, thank you for your comments.

We hear you about the PG-13 thing, though we are thinking that, at the moment, that age range and above is what we are aiming for. Part of that decision regards the cards themselves, though, not the art.

As well, in tune with the PG-13 issue, we were planning on changing the name of the game back to the original concept in order to make it more distinct: Why the Hell Are We Driving All the Way to Houston? We debated back and forth on that for a while, and then realized that many of our cards (Wacky Tobaccy, Quickie, Magic Mushrooms, Topless Diner) are inherently PG or PG-13, regardless of the art or the including of a minor swear-word in the game's title.

I was wondering what cards' art you found particularly risque?

Also, if you are thinking about playtesting with kids, it shouldn't hurt the gameplay too much if you take out a few cards.

Lastly, if you have a suggestion for how to shorten B&IF while still getting across the intent of the trait, we'd appreciate hearing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thedrellum wrote:

I was wondering what cards' art you found particularly risque?
Uh, I think Ejector Seat was the first one to make me raise an eyebrow, although Colostomy Bag could also lead to some awkward conversations, as well. There were a couple of others that made me think, "Hmmm...," but Dropbox is loading really slow on this computer, so I can't go through the cards again and give you a fuller list at the moment.

Quote:
Also, if you are thinking about playtesting with kids, it shouldn't hurt the gameplay too much if you take out a few cards.
That's a good point.

Quote:
Lastly, if you have a suggestion for how to shorten B&IF while still getting across the intent of the trait, we'd appreciate hearing it.
Maybe just "Bathroom Needs"? It's still a little long, but it's shorter and still gets the idea across.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.