Andrew Drummond
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
WBC Team Captain
mbmbmbmbmb
I discovered recently as I was preparing for a tournament with many games I didn't know that there are not too many strategy articles on the geek for some games. My objective here is not to provide a detailed analysis of the game, only to give a newbie a very basic outlook of general strategy.

As the British, the main strategy is very simple. You need to take Quebec by force. Focus on making money with the merchant action, buying military cards (and the Ranger), and avoid taking unnecessary settlements. This will give you a tight deck that can overpower the French army and in sequence take Port Royal, Louisbourg, Quebec.

As France, if the English play perfectly you lose. Period. If they make mistakes or don't pursue a military win your easiest path to victory is to upgrade (disc) enough settlements to trigger game end. You can also delay the British attack by attacking Pemaquid as quickly as possible. You don't need to win that siege, but it can tie up the British for a number of turns while you upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
ardrummo wrote:
You need to take Quebec by force.

You don't actually. You probably need to take L-burg, but you can without Quebec quite easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Drummond
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
WBC Team Captain
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. The British have a variety of winning strategies at their disposal. The game is unbalanced in their favour.

I was only intending to describe the primary strategy.

I personally like to build Ft. Halifax and raid out Quebec, but I'm crazy whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
ardrummo wrote:
You need to take Quebec by force.

You don't actually. You probably need to take L-burg, but you can without Quebec quite easily.
You need to go big mil or go home. Capture whatever you can. Don't let the French win by upgrading or settling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.