Randolfo Beunding
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read more on Boardgamegeek, than I have contributed. In fact, I used the site to pick out games before I purchased them. My participation really started recently with my attempts to teach my family better games than Sorry, Monopoly, and Trivia Pursuit. Over the course of this time, I noticed that my family likes to play one board game, and then throw in a couple of card games for good measure. When we travel, we usually carry a couple of card games with us. You may wonder why, if I read the website why would I purchase Killer Bunnies in the first place when so many rate it so lowly. It seemed to me that people do like it, and it has its adherents. So, I thought what the heck and I pulled out my wallet and bought a copy. Here is what my untrained and noobish eyes saw.

Quality is excellent. The cards are thick and stiff. Of course, my copy only has a couple of plays, but the card stock and box are sturdy enough. The art is humorous and kid friendly.

I read about the rules and was prepared. It was written more than once that the clarity of the rules leave a lot to be desired on this website and Amazon. I read them, read them again, look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJP6JyQC2ik

And then read them one more time. So, I was almost prepared. I did succeed in teaching this to my daughter first, and then my son and wife wanted to join in. I think the best way to learn is jump in with someone who has played. I kept the rules close during my instruction.

The play was simple. Set down two cards, a top one, and a bottom one. On your turn flip the top card over and play it causing all kinds of mayhem. Replace the top card with the bottom and them play a card from your hand face down to replace the bottom card. Then you draw another card for your hand. What makes it difficult are the cards themselves. There are more bunnies to be had, carrots to steal and buy (the real goal of the game), weapons, supplies, and the occasional unfortunate mishap you have to play on yourself. My 11 year old understood the mechanics in a couple of turns.

The theme is comic mayhem. With a name like Killer Bunnies, what else could you expect.

laugh Bottom line is simple. Do you like a game with all kinds of options and interaction, even though the winner is randomly selected. My family enjoyed the game, and my son did as well who caused the most destruction, killing the most bunnies, but had only one carrot (He's kinda like that.)

Don't get me wrong. I understand all you serious war gamer types. Why would you muddle through a game only to have the winner decided by what amounts to a coin toss? I was there once myself, many years ago in my Avalon Hill days, before marriage, before children, before "a career". But this game is something different. It is about the journey and not the destination. Besides, you can give yourself a better chance in that coin toss by sticking it to your opponent and hording as many carrots as you can.

meeple I would advise people to purchase this game, but I would warn them about the victory conditions. If they are the kind of people who enjoy a light hearted game, I would suggest it to them. If they are more serious, I would still tell them, but I am not sure I would suggest it. Maybe I would pull the game out and let them try it first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. I would say play this and enjoy it. If you want to buy the expansions do them one at a time and play them before you expand. Most likely you will find a level were the expansions max out. It may be after one, or it may be after all. You put into words many of my thoughts on this game.

Have fun!

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was our transitional game into the hobby beyond the standard big box store fare. Take a look at Killer Bunnies Alternative Scoring Sheet (Ver 1.0) for what we think is a more enjoyable game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolfo Beunding
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
costguy wrote:
Nice review. I would say play this and enjoy it. If you want to buy the expansions do them one at a time and play them before you expand. Most likely you will find a level were the expansions max out. It may be after one, or it may be after all. You put into words many of my thoughts on this game.

Have fun!

Kevin

My son is already asking for expansions, but that is not likely to happen until they get a very firm grasp of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolfo Beunding
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bkunes wrote:
This was our transitional game into the hobby beyond the standard big box store fare. Take a look at Killer Bunnies Alternative Scoring Sheet (Ver 1.0) for what we think is a more enjoyable game.

I will probably do this after a few more plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.