Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another game with Major J. We rolled for sides and I got the US. Great. Leading an assault on a prepared and fortified position must be the wet dream for every West Pointer out there. No artillery support (stupid stupid SK, I'm so getting that RB), not even any mortars (stupid stupid SK1, I'm so getting SK2) and apparently smoke grenades made in the US are about as useful as cans of peas (more on that later).

I had studied the terrain earlier, from the German perspective, pondering where to set up defence and whatnot. It was, however, not until I had to play the US that I noticed just how much open terrain there is to traverse: the left flank AND the right flank are slaughterhouses just waiting to be covered in blood, intestines and genereal gore from the boys of Kentucky and Tennessee. Fubar.

No worries. The Americans surveyed the set-up, inspected the troops, and then dividied all available forces into three strike teams, left, center and right, with the MGs going left and right in order to utilize the great LOS available there, the FT up the middle for that house-to-house fighting. The squads were about evenly spread.

The team on the right was set to take up firing positions in the rightmost buildings in order to wipe out the kraut MG-nest (which, it turned out, was fortified) that was straight ahead from there. Attempts were made to lay out smoke, but apparently the whole procedure of "remove pin. throw grenade" was a bit too complicated for these troopers they got to advance without cover of smoke. Of course this resulted in some rather heavy defensive fire from the krauts do to the eagerness of the squad leader to get into positions fast. He paid for this mistake by getting wounded whilst the majority of his men broke under fire.

The middle team was having none of this and was able to advance under cover of available buildings for several meters before the krauts found a gap between two buildings through which they could fire, straight upon the halfsquad hogging the FT. Cruel and efficient MG fire assured that that HS was to be no more.

The left team was lead by a 9-2, and could use the woods to advance straight up to the beginning of the left field, advancing slowly to the edge without drawing fire.

The Germans were satisfied with minimal maneouver and maximized what firepower they had, trying to wipe out the stalwart Americans. And even though the right and middle were having trouble with units (cowards!) breaking, the left flank stood fast, and soon the American MG began to spit out retribution upon the German lines, forcing them to retreat behind a line of buildings which left the path open for the left team to begin their advance upon the city proper. Smoke grenades were apparently thrown left and right (as per the training manual) but seemingly with pins still attached.

In the meantime the other two teams began to shape up. The FT was recovered, with that unit carrying it constantly drawing fire and seeminly unable to unbreak in order to actually use the damn thing. Massive fire on the right forced the krauts to abandon their positions, but as an advance on the right was sure to draw MG fire from German positions in the middle (and knowing by now that the issued smoke grenades were no good) the right was ordered to fall into the middle to help out the slightly mangled troops there, and also to help take out the majority of the kraut forces that were holed up there by now (together with most of the readily available buildings, the aim of this scenario).

Of course the building were they all gathered was fortified, and of course the patches of forests between that building and the US turned out to be a most serious annoyance. US indecision lead to the attack slowing down here, despite the left flank mopping up rather nicely, and a squad from the right team having been suggested for promotions and medals after singlehandedly a) wiping out two german squads and a leader and b) after breaking their own MG, running over a field through enemy fire into the abandoned German MG-nest and recovering the kraut MG and turned it against its former owners.

But alas, the remaining Germans were slowly gathering their strength with one remaining leader rallying his troops and managing to survive everything the US could throw at them. The FT finally got into position to be used and, of course, broke the moment it tried to turn the last German stronghold into a bratwurst BBQ. This was a moral defeat for the US, and they couldn't quite recover after that.

Also, an apparent failure to fully understand the mission parameters didn't help either, so with time running out the US concentrated on encircling the remaining enemy, and thus failed to achieve the mission objective, turning what begun as a decisive US victory into a shameful defeat.

Overall, everyone fought well and good, and by now I think that me and Major J are beginning to have all the SK rules under control (still fudging a bit with the rules when it comes to some more unusal cases regarding SW, but we're getting there).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anttoni Huhtala
Finland
Espoo
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
10 PRINT "Hello!"
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played S3, and i gotta say that the death trap in the middle of the map was just slaughtering my yanks. Total defeat left and right as my troops didn't know how to run across a open field. One unit tried 3 times, only to crawl back to safety. The 4:th time the team made it over the field, but at that point it was too late. The middle of the german defence allmost collapsed, but a lucky soldat scared the hell out of 2 of my best units. The flamethrower exploading midfight didnt help..

a

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.