Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I, in good faith, do want to honestly say that my game W.W.B is the world's worst boardgame:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/99918/w-w-b

However, I may be wrong here. Can someone name a boardgame worst than W.W.B? If you can think of one, please post here. Yes, I am now thinking of Kickstarting production of it, if it can honestly be said to be the worst boardgame in the world.

Thanks...

Edit: I am realizing I better specify BOARDgame in the header, because that is what matters for the subject at hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What game is worse than W.W.B?
docreason wrote:
....Yes, I am now thinking of Kickstarting production of it, if it can honestly be said tobe the worst boardgame in the world.

Thanks...

You sick, twisted, sadistic bastard.

If this gets produced well meaning people will buy them to give to people. The evil will spread.

These may indeed be the last days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno North
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
WWB sounds a lot like snakes and ladders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't sound like a game at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I like your humor!

Kickstart it and I'll promise to back you - provided that I get a lot of exclusive goodies (like a tin box, gold-framed cards, a metal die with diamonds instead of pips - you get the idea), shipping to Europe is no more than $5 and Christmas and Easter is one the same day that year. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Global Survival

Item on this geeklist

"Imagine Monopoly with almost 200 properties available. Imagine 11 denominations of currency to make your purchases, like the bargain Tanzania here, which only costs $7,041 Billion.

An absolute nightmare that doesn't deserve to be called a game."

At one point it was the ranked game with the lowest average rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Global Survival

Item on this geeklist

"Imagine Monopoly with almost 200 properties available. Imagine 11 denominations of currency to make your purchases, like the bargain Tanzania here, which only costs $7,041 Billion.

An absolute nightmare that doesn't deserve to be called a game."

At one point it was the ranked game with the lowest average rating.

Ahh yes, Global Survival. That is horrible. But, in defense of it, you actually learn countries around the world, so it provides some value. It is horrible though. The expansion for W.W.B that makes it 1002 is actually worse though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Looks like it's on about as good as Zap!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
W.W.B. is about as much of a game as Candyland, Bunco, and War. The players have absolutely no influence on the outcome. There are absolutely no decisions or choices to be made. I know BGG has these all in the database, but these are more like activities. There is really no game here.

I'm also confused on why the cards are shuffled and dealt if everyone has to still go from start to finish using all 102 cards. Or is that just part of the "charm" of it being a bad game?

Not trying to sound snarky here, I would just like to know what makes this a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Russian Roulette with a one shot revolver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Menger
Germany
Nürnberg
Germany
flag msg tools
Mountainbike
badge
Roadbike
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard, you could put it on kickstarter but it doesn't mean it will be funded. Perhaps if you commission an artist to design some card art with provocatively posing anime girls, zombies, and fantasy elements that have no bearing on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
Richard, you could put it on kickstarter but it doesn't mean it will be funded. Perhaps if you commission an artist to design some card art with provocatively posing anime girls, zombies, and fantasy elements that have no bearing on the game.

Make that a well designed anime chick that on a scale of 1–100 loses her clothes and on "Finish" is nekkid, and you'd get funders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl von Laudermann
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Assuming you're using a loose enough definition of "boardgame" to include any game in the BGG database, I'd have to say that BreaKey is by far the worst. An entire game consists of taking a single action, over whose outcome the players have no control, and which permanently destroys half of the components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiamat
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
The game needs anti-evolution trivia questions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiamat wrote:
The game needs anti-evolution trivia questions

How about trivia questions on Romeo and Juliet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
W.W.B. is about as much of a game as Candyland, Bunco, and War. The players have absolutely no influence on the outcome. There are absolutely no decisions or choices to be made. I know BGG has these all in the database, but these are more like activities. There is really no game here.

I'm also confused on why the cards are shuffled and dealt if everyone has to still go from start to finish using all 102 cards. Or is that just part of the "charm" of it being a bad game?

Not trying to sound snarky here, I would just like to know what makes this a game.

Of course, one can debate what is or is not a game. I believe what would separate a game from an activity is the concept of there being a winner or winners in the game. In what you listed, it is true, as it is here, along with Chutes and Ladder.

As far as the cards, it is in keeping with engineering the game to be as bad as possible. It wouldn't be as bad if it was an actual board and set spaces. In that regard it would be a roll and move game.

I also did want to add here, in regards to Chutes and Ladders that it is like that, except almost all the spaces go back to start, or can.

As to what to make of the game, make of it as a serious attempt to engineer the worst possible game on the planet. Along the way, humor and fragging it are welcome. One can think of it as satire, and likely be on target also. With me, the game is a statement as to what normally goes into mainstream games also. Like, one can ask: Does the game get better if you were to give it a theming or it had a license that people want? Say it had a Twilight theme. I was actually thinking of allowing people to be able to paste their own themes on the start and end spaces. One thing in mind now is the replacement refs theme for the game, where the goal is to be the first player to get to the last space and thus get good reffing from replacement refs (reference to the NFL refs).

Of course, there is also the cross-over the other way, WWBopoly, where you use generic spaces, and the returning back to Go. I am thinking us having Vasels as the currency in that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:

Themes have appeal. The game has no theme for a reason. Same with it being two players only. I am not going to get artists for it. And a failed Kickstarter would be in keeping with the game.

But hey, if I do manage to want to go the theming route, and get on Kickstarter, I will request a stretch goal of 1 billion dollars in order to get the Dune license to slap on it. I think that for 999 million, the Herbert estate would say yes. Then put $900,000 into production, complete with real dice, and I pocket $100,000. Everyone wins. YES, the gamers finally get a new Dune game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
karlvonl wrote:
Assuming you're using a loose enough definition of "boardgame" to include any game in the BGG database, I'd have to say that BreaKey is by far the worst. An entire game consists of taking a single action, over whose outcome the players have no control, and which permanently destroys half of the components.

That game does have a fan though. I do admit that it is really suspect. But, it does end quickly. W.W.B never does end. I could go the other route and make it so that each time players advance they have to add a new card to the board. So, while it starts out at 100 as the second to the last space, players advancing to space 1, would add card 101 to the game. And the game would require players to keep adding more cards the more they play the game.

Why I also will that W.W.B is arguably worse, is that the game itself doesn't get rid of itself. At least with that game, you have the game killing itself off.

I would also like to add that game wouldn't really qualify as a board game. While it might be a stretch to call W.W.B the world's worst GAME, I can argue it is the world's worst BOARD game. It plays like a board game, with the board being cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer Sylvester
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you are doing there :-) And I have to admit, youre quite close, but to make the game truly awful you should make the setup more tedious and the rules are to easy to understand.

Im also not sure this game is worse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHsYhORsQPo&feature=player_em...

I also think that all games are worse with a deck of random action cards, but in your case, cards might be humourious, which is counterproductive to your cause (which means "productive", I guess?)

Perhaps you should introduce more confusing elements (like money or properties) that dont influence the winner at all, but makes things more confusing.

Oh and making the game playable only once (by destroying some cards or something like that) it will become worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One interesting thing to add is the design philosophy behind the concept "game". Games (and activities) are designed as a distraction, that at least some, or one, people thought that it would be some sort of entertainment value in playing the game, be it "fun" or "learning" or whatnot.
What you have designed is not designed with this in mind. Hence, if one wants to argue that WWB is not a game whereas Candyland is, that would be the issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer Sylvester
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
One interesting thing to add is the design philosophy behind the concept "game". Games (and activities) are designed as a distraction, that at least some, or one, people thought that it would be some sort of entertainment value in playing the game, be it "fun" or "learning" or whatnot.
What you have designed is not designed with this in mind. Hence, if one wants to argue that WWB is not a game whereas Candyland is, that would be the issue.

I would decribe it as art actually, because it breaks the boundaries of what a game is. But thats my definition of art, its propably not yours

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Peerchen wrote:
I see what you are doing there :-) And I have to admit, youre quite close, but to make the game truly awful you should make the setup more tedious and the rules are to easy to understand.

Im also not sure this game is worse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHsYhORsQPo&feature=player_em...

I also think that all games are worse with a deck of random action cards, but in your case, cards might be humourious, which is counterproductive to your cause (which means "productive", I guess?)

Perhaps you should introduce more confusing elements (like money or properties) that dont influence the winner at all, but makes things more confusing.

Oh and making the game playable only once (by destroying some cards or something like that) it will become worse.

I think more confusing elements would make it more entertaining. Because of this, that would increase its value as a game.

Also, because it is so bad, destruction of the game would mean it is gone, and that would be a net game. Having a game that is bad never end makes it worse. Also, don't want the game to get broken completely, by losing components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Peerchen wrote:
Zimeon wrote:

I would decribe it as art actually, because it breaks the boundaries of what a game is. But thats my definition of art, its propably not yours

W.W.B functions as a game now, so it is a game. The game itself could be art, and would fit both art and a game. And my attempt to get on Kickstarter with it, would also be an artistic statement. I would be engaging in satire here. I am also thinking of hiring Tom Vasel to do a paid preview of the game and it going on Kickstarter.

As for the game, it was designed to be horrible in mind, pushing to be a design that can universally be recognized as horrible. But, it would still qualify as a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One way you could make it just a little bit more horrible would be to print the numbers in the dead center of the cards using a font with perfect rotational symmetry on the 0, 1, 2, 5, 8, and 6/9 pair. I'm thinking some sort of LCD font, but with the 1 centered in the cell.

Also, make sure to number the cards less than 10 with the leading zero.

This allows other players to dispute whether you were really on card 81 or card 18, thus increasing player interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.