Martin Hogan
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not so much strategy as it is a tactical observation:
Carefully consider moving units into the northwest corner of the village in the southeast corner of the basic game map, hex 3314. It has a couple of marginally blocked lines-of-sight to/from a couple of key hexes!

Looking southwest to rough terrain:

Looking northwest to level 2 hill:

Both lines-of-sight are blocked and thus no overwatch fire was possible for the T-34. On the other hand, it'll be safe (just) when the Pz IVs open up next turn again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rugs Clash
Sweden
flag msg tools
Well spotted and nicely illustrated. A heads-up for the not so steady on the hand with the thread. Vassal is good at exposing such situations. The last one is blocked by blind hexes if I calculated correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that I don't care for these line of sight rules about the LOS being blocked even if it doesn't pass through the terrain in the hex.

It would seem we went to a lot of trouble for point to point maps to be able to get those 'keyhole' shots that happen in real tank battles.

Oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Of course, the VASSAL "thread" isn't precisely centerpoint-to-centerpoint ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
I have to say that I don't care for these line of sight rules about the LOS being blocked even if it doesn't pass through the terrain in the hex.

But it does have the advantage of eliminating ambiguous cases of "is the LOS touching that tree or not?" etc... If LOS is purely hex-based, then it's simple geometry with no such worries about the exact printing on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly the intent of the design. It eliminates ALL ambiguous terrain elements when spotting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hogan
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:

It would seem we went to a lot of trouble for point to point maps to be able to get those 'keyhole' shots that happen in real tank battles.

Duke,

I know what you are talking about. You could argue that by using the precision mandated in the rules, the situations for keyhole shots are actually created on the board, rather than eliminated.
There will be lines-of-sight that just clear the corner of a blocking terrain feature – comparable to those in my example that are just blocked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.