Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Trade a 9 or a 10 that's taking up closet space!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not getting it to the table? Get rid of it.

Go for it. It's healthy.

"A CD is like bad acid not for production or consumption." - Eddie Vedder
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
9s and 10s are more than welcome to take space in my closet. I'll get to all of them in due course.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone wants my heroscape or super dungeon explore, feel free to trade for them!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I must have at least a few lovely 3s or 4s around to help the unfortunate balance things out. Just ask; glad to be of service!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
eekamouse wrote:
Not getting it to the table? Get rid of it.

Go for it. It's healthy.



Speak for yourself. I don't mind waiting a few years to play a great game. And some may never make it in their entirity. I don't toss out my books when they've not been read for a few years. Relax.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mi_de wrote:
eekamouse wrote:
Not getting it to the table? Get rid of it.

Go for it. It's healthy.



Speak for yourself. I don't mind waiting a few years to play a great game. And some may never make it in their entirity. I don't toss out my books when they've not been read for a few years. Relax.


I think that's his point

I own way too much crap. Yes. I'm going to have kids someday and they'll love it all. Maybe.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mi_de wrote:
eekamouse wrote:
Not getting it to the table? Get rid of it.

Go for it. It's healthy.



Speak for yourself. I don't mind waiting a few years to play a great game. And some may never make it in their entirity. I don't toss out my books when they've not been read for a few years. Relax.


Relax? Pfft. I'm free I tell you. Free!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Meeker
United States
Camano Island
WA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
mi_de wrote:
eekamouse wrote:
Not getting it to the table? Get rid of it.

Go for it. It's healthy.



Speak for yourself. I don't mind waiting a few years to play a great game. And some may never make it in their entirity. I don't toss out my books when they've not been read for a few years. Relax.


Relax? Pfft. I'm free I tell you. Free!


But are you relaxed?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
callow wrote:
eekamouse wrote:
mi_de wrote:
eekamouse wrote:
Not getting it to the table? Get rid of it.

Go for it. It's healthy.



Speak for yourself. I don't mind waiting a few years to play a great game. And some may never make it in their entirity. I don't toss out my books when they've not been read for a few years. Relax.


Relax? Pfft. I'm free I tell you. Free!


But are you relaxed?


Of course note. I know how to align my priorities. I will relax at tea time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
eekamouse wrote:
Not getting it to the table? Get rid of it.

Go for it. It's healthy.

"A CD is like bad acid not for production or consumption." - Eddie Vedder


Getting rid of 9s and 10s is why 6s and 7s sell so well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold a 9 this summer. Alhambra with four expansions, which was taking a ton of shelf space.
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
eekamouse wrote:
Not getting it to the table? Get rid of it.

Go for it. It's healthy.

"A CD is like bad acid not for production or consumption." - Eddie Vedder


Getting rid of 9s and 10s is why 6s and 7s sell so well.


Interesting theory. I am not sure I follow. Please elaborate if you have time to.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While there's a lot of lower rated stuff I'd much rather get rid of before selling of Space Hulk, I am going to be gifting a 9.5 (Puzzle Strike) and a 10 (Crokinole) to some family/friends in the next bit as my new editions come in. My Crokinole board should be delivered this morning according to the tracking info, and I'm expecting PS:3e (and the Shadows expansion) in early October.

I've also been sorely tempted to free up some shelf space by getting rid of my 1st edition Descent stuff, but with 2nd edition the trade value really dropped out of that one, and I do really want to play with my son when he's old enough (though admittedly it's a bit far off).

Then again, I have a bunch of lower rated stuff I'd much rather get rid of. Perhaps it makes more sense if everything in your collection is a 9 or a 10.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fastlane wrote:

Perhaps it makes more sense if everything in your collection is a 9 or a 10.


What if it's not getting played?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
eekamouse wrote:

Interesting theory. I am not sure I follow. Please elaborate if you have time to.


It's the age-old "cult of the new" and "kickstarter sucks" argument that I'm sure has been re-hashed 57 times.

I have some personal frustration with your point, because your point is the point of many, many boardgame enthusiasts... "ooh, what's new" "oooh, what's new" "ooh, what's new" instead of really learning and getting good at some of the better classics out there. (And in fairness, you personally, seem to be someone that would actually squeeze all the plays out of a game with other people who do so as well)

Now, I too once really liked everything new, and getting to try new things. However, boardgames have offered me a chance at actually competing to win or at least not come in dead last in something, and I'm almost addicted to that feeling. I would put a good, competitive game up against many of the intoxicating substances I've come to know.

I was never any good at sports...grew-up asthmatic, and right now I can't compete against 15-year-olds on xbox live. BUT, boardgames, there I'm on a pretty good footing.

I mean, just two weekends ago, watching a guy sit with enough armies to wipe-out my control of South America and having the ability to be worried about it, but not so worried that it actually mattered was...beautiful.

Instead, those experiences are waived in favor of learning a new set of cards covering the same mechanics, or playing against 10 newbies and determining that you've gotten good at the game, when really it's just that you've played it 10 times to everyone else's once. Most of these 9s and 10s are on some level, just as much of a pool to swim in as chess.

NOW, I completely understand that sometimes a 9 and a 10 just aren't going to get to the table anytime in the next 5 years. Case-in-point with me, just now, Railways of the World... if I ever get to play it, it's going to be some weekend planned a month out where I get some sort of kitchen pass from the wife (kids under 4 are a HaNdFuLL). So it makes sense to play someone else's Railways of the World rather than having it gather dust on my shelf until the kids are old enough to entertain themselves safely---and instead get something I can play inside of 15 minutes (which will actually finish in 45 with interruptions).

EDIT: So, back to my point-> there's less need for a game to be really good, when people are just buying something new all the time.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
eekamouse wrote:

Interesting theory. I am not sure I follow. Please elaborate if you have time to.


It's the age-old "cult of the new" and "kickstarter sucks" argument that I'm sure has been re-hashed 57 times.

I have some personal frustration with your point, because your point is the point of many, many boardgame enthusiasts... "ooh, what's new" "oooh, what's new" "ooh, what's new" instead of really learning and getting good at some of the better classics out there. (And in fairness, you personally, seem to be someone that would actually squeeze all the plays out of a game with other people who do so as well)

Now, I too once really liked everything new, and getting to try new things. However, boardgames have offered me a chance at actually competing to win or at least not come in dead last in something, and I'm almost addicted to that feeling. I would put a good, competitive game up against many of the intoxicating substances I've come to know.

I was never any good at sports...grew-up asthmatic, and right now I can't compete against 15-year-olds on xbox live. BUT, boardgames, there I'm on a pretty good footing.

I mean, just two weekends ago, watching a guy sit with enough armies to wipe-out my control of South America and having the ability to be worried about it, but not so worried that it actually mattered was...beautiful.

Instead, those experiences are waived in favor of learning a new set of cards covering the same mechanics, or playing against 10 newbies and determining that you've gotten good at the game, when really it's just that you've played it 10 times to everyone else's once. Most of these 9s and 10s are on some level, just as much of a pool to swim in as chess.

NOW, I completely understand that sometimes a 9 and a 10 just aren't going to get to the table anytime in the next 5 years. Case-in-point with me, just now, Railways of the World... if I ever get to play it, it's going to be some weekend planned a month out where I get some sort of kitchen pass from the wife (kids under 4 are a HaNdFuLL). So it makes sense to play someone else's Railways of the World rather than having it gather dust on my shelf until the kids are old enough to entertain themselves safely---and instead get something I can play inside of 15 minutes (which will actually finish in 45 with interruptions).

EDIT: So, back to my point-> there's less need for a game to be really good, when people are just buying something new all the time.


I see. Ramifications!

I see your point in theory. But, there are plenty of 9s and 10s (and even 6s and 7s) of bygone days that could get played in lieu of buying something new. The point is to get things played.

Personally, I don't find anything inherently good or bad with buying new stuff if you can afford it. I am lucky to have multiple groups of people I play with. Some people look at me cross-eyed if I bring a new game to play. Others, look at me cross-eyed if I bring a game we've played more than twice. Different strokes. Guess which attitude irritates the living shiznit out of me.

There's a rabbit hole in this hobby. It makes it hard to see things clearly. One of the great things about it, is the ability to cross over into other genre. You just need the right group or groups, and enough time for some of these games. But, on the other hand the hobby has an industry. The industry is really boring and self indulgent, at least from what I've seen of it. The perpetuation of product driven by media (lol), consumer, and producer is odd.

The hobby side of it is amazing. And, there are many hobbyists in the industry creating games.

I just opened my closet the other day and saw poison sitting on top of diamonds. It's good poison, but it's just sitting there doing jack. It needs to die or find a better home.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sturner wrote:
A rating of 9 or 10 implies that you "Always want to play it." according the suggested rating guidelines. If the 9s and 10s on your shelf aren't making it to the table, then are they really 9s and 10s to you?


Sure. Why not.

Scenario: I want to play a game. No one else wants to play it.... ever. But, I would play it instantly given the opportunity. Now, all it does is take up closet space. That doesn't make the game any worse (or better).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Joel, what did you get rid of????
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Joel, what did you get rid of????


Currently trading the following:

Samurai Battles
Kingdom of Solomon
Belfort
Iliad (ok.. this one is pretty bad)
Road to Enlightenmnet

for the following:

Gettysburg (yay!)
Le Havre
Automobile
Mage Knight

I will probably put up Quebec in the Math Trade that's happening.

Samurai Battles, Solomon, Quebec, and Belfort are all excellent.

*waves good bye*
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.