Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – TIE Fighter Expansion Pack» Forums » General

Subject: The unique cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone able to describe the unique cards that come with the expansion version of the Tie Fighter?

Are they much different/ more interesting than the core set cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the TIE fighter expansion you get 3 new Unique Pilots:

- Winged Gundark
- Backstabber
- Howlrunner

Winged Gundark allows close range attack to change one dice from a hit to a critical hit.

Backstabber gets one extra attack dice when attacking from outside the target's firing arc.

Howlrunner helps your team by allowing a friendly ship at close range 1 re-roll on attack dice.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, one:

It also came with Determination, but that was in the core set too.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The unique pilots have some great abilities, and if you intend to have a lot of TIEs, it's good to have. I'm building a 6 TIE 100pt squad now, going to practice a few wingman maneuvers. I have 2 core sets and 1 expansion, so I'll need to pick up a second expansion today to complete this. But I do like the added TIE pilots. Howlrunner is the only other TIE Fighter pilot that can have a skill (like Mauler Mithel), so he and Mauler will be my squad leaders.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Semi-related - if I get one of each TIE and X-Wing expansion, are there any cards in there that I'll want extra copies of that doesn't come in other packs? Assume I have 3 TIE Advanced and 3 Y-Wings. In other words, should I pick up more TIE/X-Wing individuals, or just get one of each and then fill out with cores if I want more of those ships?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. There are 2 Astromechs in the X-Wing pack (generic R5 and unique R5-K6), and then Marksmanship, Proton Torpedoes and Expert Handling, but all of those come in other sets too. So if you have 1 X-Wing Expansion, you're fine using the other X-Wings from the core set(s).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guzy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
The unique pilots have some great abilities, and if you intend to have a lot of TIEs, it's good to have. I'm building a 6 TIE 100pt squad now, going to practice a few wingman maneuvers. I have 2 core sets and 1 expansion, so I'll need to pick up a second expansion today to complete this. But I do like the added TIE pilots. Howlrunner is the only other TIE Fighter pilot that can have a skill (like Mauler Mithel), so he and Mauler will be my squad leaders.

-shnar

Generic black squad pilots also have that ability

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:

Oh I am intending on buying one TIE fighter expansion, but now that I know that it contains only 3 unique cards that I need, I will not be buying anymore than that.

That's what I did, I bought 3 starters as that was the best way to get the most ships and extra stuff for my buck. Then, I bought X-Wing expansion and TIE expansion so I'd have all the stuff that came unique to those expansions (definitely worth it for the pilots alone).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T. Probst
Germany
Waghäusel
of the Art
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
El_Tonio wrote:
LordHellfury wrote:

Oh I am intending on buying one TIE fighter expansion, but now that I know that it contains only 3 unique cards that I need, I will not be buying anymore than that.

That's what I did, I bought 3 starters as that was the best way to get the most ships and extra stuff for my buck. Then, I bought X-Wing expansion and TIE expansion, so I'd have all the stuff that came unique to those expansions (definitely worth it for the pilots alone).

Yes, that's the best way to expand your basic fleet, purchasing more base set with a great value instead of three single ships. Additional dices and rulers are needful too.

Having now 4 base sets and thinking about some more having a good core fleet of both parties.

But having at least one expansion pack ship is needful too, at least for the additional and different "ID-Tokens" and "Target-Lock-Tokens"!
Especially useful if you play with many ships on both sides or larger games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got along just fine with 3 cores and 1 expansion for 7 TIEs (and 1 X-wing expansion for 4 X-wings total). However I recently picked up a second expansion to bring me up to 8 TIE Fighters, partly because I wanted a third Swarm Tactics (it also comes in the TIE Advanced expansion). I figure 8 Fighters will come in handy for Epic/Cinematic mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.