Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the second of the sneak previews leading up to the release of the game at Spiel 2012.

For the first preview, click here

For my previews on the other new games...
Tzolkin pt.1
Tzolkin pt.2
Goblins Inc. pt.1
Goblins Inc. pt.2
Dungeon Lords Festival Season pt.1
Dungeon Lords Festival Season pt.2

In this preview, I am going to show some of the new cards that come with the game. Some of these cards will be additional cards for the existing rounds of the game. Some of them are part of the new Round IV set of adventure cards.

Slavers: A tougher version of the other slavers cards.
Planets: You get spacemen in addition to goods.
Mostly Open Space: The player who used the highest engine strength gets his or her own personal meteoric swarm
Combat Zone: Just how many explosion icons can you fit on one card?
Radiation Leak: Self explanatory
Commandos: More on these in a later preview.

Apologies the preview is a bit short. I'm waiting on the final rules and cards on the boarding parties to explain them further
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Planets with people: Cool.
Everything else: Yikes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if more almost-unavoidable heavy cannon fire is a good thing. It just makes the shields and shield boosters, which are already really valuable, even more in demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
For Radiation Poisoning, if a crew cabin is connected to two different battery tiles, do you lose 2 crew from it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luce wrote:
For Radiation Poisoning, if a crew cabin is connected to two different battery tiles, do you lose 2 crew from it?

I can answer that from the card. No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François V.
France
Meudon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK it's certainly because my English is very poor, but I just can't figure the exact meaning of the second sentence in the Radiation Leak card.

What is exactly a "joined group" ? 2 directly connected tiles ?
If so, does it means that if the sum of batteries/solar panels in 2 connected components is 4 or more, both components are removed ?

Because if the "joined group" means any components directly or indirectly connected, you destroy the full ship immediately (which usually carries more than 3 batteries). I doubt that's the intention.

Are they using the term "joined group" to mean that if a set of component connected together is such that all components carry batteries, you should add them and potentially remove all of them ?

How does it apply to components linked with router connections ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frencois wrote:
OK it's certainly because my English id very poor, but I just can't figure the exact meaning of the second sentence in the Radiation Leak card.

I think there's only one reasonable meaning. A "joined group" here is what mathematicians call a "connected component". Start with any tile that has batteries on it, add any tiles directly connected to that tile that have batteries on them, add any tiles directly connected to those tiles that have batteries on them, until you can't add any more. That's a joined group.

This isn't really clear from the text of the card but I'm sure it will be explained in the rules. It's the only interpretation that makes sense. If it meant just a pair of tiles, it would say so. And clearly it can't apply to the entire ship.

I don't know exactly how router tiles work. I assume that will be in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I don't know exactly how router tiles work. I assume that will be in the rulebook.

I believe the first preview said that tiles connected to the router tile are considered to be adjacent to each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François V.
France
Meudon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree David that (at least within those I can reasonably imagine) it's the only interpretation that would make sense.

Something like :
Joined group = group of components connected together that ALL share a common criteria (for example, each of them has at least one battery or solar panel on it). Note that with that definition, two components connected by a router, with 2 batteries on each would be gonsidered a group and the two components would be removed by a radiation leak... but not the router.

This said, if that would be the definition, the wording would still be unclear : lets say I have a A battery component with 0 batteries on it directly connected to both a B and C battery components with each 2 batteries on them, not clear how I would decide if that blows out or not. As you say the very funny rules & examples of His Highness Count Vlaaaaad should enlight us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François V.
France
Meudon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Khedron wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

I believe the first preview said that tiles connected to the router tile are considered to be adjacent to each other.

Exactly, which means you can now have more than 4 components adjacent to a specific one, which can be pretty useful for those rare components that can "fuel" more mondane ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frencois wrote:
Exactly, which means you can now have more than 4 components adjacent to a specific one, which can be pretty useful for those rare components that can "fuel" more mondane ones.

Not to mention the "dual life-support modules", which sound great for supporting two different aliens until you realize that they only have one connection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Frencois wrote:
OK it's certainly because my English id very poor, but I just can't figure the exact meaning of the second sentence in the Radiation Leak card.

I think there's only one reasonable meaning. A "joined group" here is what mathematicians call a "connected component". Start with any tile that has batteries on it, add any tiles directly connected to that tile that have batteries on them, add any tiles directly connected to those tiles that have batteries on them, until you can't add any more. That's a joined group.

This sounds odd, as the entire ship must be a joined group according to this definition. If this was true, the card would just say "ship".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
azuredarkness wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
Frencois wrote:

This sounds odd, as the entire ship must be a joined group according to this definition. If this was true, the card would just say "ship".

If your entire ship were made out of battery packs, your conclusion would hold. But Radiation Leak has to consider the (admittedly quite remote) possibility that you have added the odd engine or starting crew compartment to your vessel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that the images that I get are sometimes not the very final ones, and I can confirm that this card was slightly reworded by CGE before it went to the printers:

Lose 1 crew member from every component joined to a component with at least 1 battery token.
Then lose every contiguous cluster of components with at least 4 battery tokens.
For this card, treat a solar panel as a component with 1 battery token.

Apologies for uploading the one card which they then slightly tweaked and causing the confusion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Note that the images that I get are sometimes not the very final ones, and I can confirm that this card was slightly reworded by CGE before it went to the printers:

Lose 1 crew member from every component joined to a component with at least 1 battery token.
Then lose every contiguous cluster of components with at least 4 battery tokens.

Apologies for uploading the one card which they then slightly tweaked and causing the confusion!

This isn't any clearer. I think I know what it must mean (as stated above), but hopefully it's explained in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François V.
France
Meudon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

No apologies needed Paul, you do a tremendous work previewing for those of us far away

This said, I understand it would be longer, but wouldn't it be clearer to say (if my English is good enough):

Then for each contiguous cluster of components that each have at least 1 battery on them, lose all components of that cluster if the cluster as a whole has at least 4 battery tokens on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.