Lukasz Respondek
Poland
Pawonkow
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE! The game was approved You can find the link to the updated cards here: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/132260/fight-club-project...
If you already printed the cards, don't worry - there are no rule changes on the new cards, only some minor graphical tweaks.

The idea of a game based on Fight Club was on my mind for quite some time, and several months ago I decided to play with it some more, resulting in a fast card game for two players. The problem is, that I don't have too many opportunities to playtest it with other people, usually playing it only several times in a few weeks time seems awfully slow to me (yes, once I set my mind on something I tend to get very impatient). For now, I have the rules as I'd like them to be, and my only concern is balancing the player decks. That's why I finally decided to post here. Is there anyone that would be interested in playtesting the game? I could come with a printable pdf of all the cards (text only for now) in few days.

The final cards will look like this:

Once finished, the game will be available as a free download

if anyone is interested, here's a link to a first draft of the rulebook: http://goo.gl/ppbne

I would be very grateful for any comments you may have. And if there's someone willing to playtest it, just let me know, and I'll start working on a barebone version of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] [PnP] Fight Club: Project Mayhem the card game. Looking for testers
Fight Club is one of my favorite movies, so I'd be pretty interested in at least giving it a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Respondek
Poland
Pawonkow
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've added card summaries for the player decks and the tasks deck to the rulebook. A printer-friendly pdf of all the cards should be ready soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Respondek
Poland
Pawonkow
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The printer-friendly files are online.
Here's the one for the player decks (2 copies of this one will be needed to play): https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10166909/jack_tyler_decks.pdf
Here's one for the tasks: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10166909/tasks_deck.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Respondek
Poland
Pawonkow
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacks card templates are ready: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10166909/jack.pdf

Also a question: will it be to confusing to make different cards with the same effect? There are only 15 types of cards and there is a ton of quotes/pictures I'd like to use on some of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Respondek
Poland
Pawonkow
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so you've already seen what I'm planning with the action cards, and now I'm trying to come up with a template for task cards. After some tries, I came with something like this:

I'll be grateful for any opinions on this style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loomis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't looked at how the game plays yet, but I will say that your templates are looking pretty good with the exception of the font that you use for the titles. It's terribly jarring to have chunks of certain letters missing, and I would suggest changing it.

Also, in response to your question about different cards doing the same thing, I would recommend against it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Respondek
Poland
Pawonkow
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this look better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Respondek
Poland
Pawonkow
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] [PnP] [Update]Fight Club: Project Mayhem the card game
if anyone wants the (almost) final cards, they're here: http://goo.gl/Qy0VQ
just remember that these are probably not final - if you're waiting for those, just hold on for a few weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loomis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That font is much easier to read, you could probably scale up the size though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Respondek
Poland
Pawonkow
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about the scaling, it would be hard to fit the text on some of the cards, and currently, it's already on par with many published card games. here's a picture of a printed card for comparison:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shanniganz wrote:
I haven't looked at how the game plays yet, but I will say that your templates are looking pretty good with the exception of the font that you use for the titles. It's terribly jarring to have chunks of certain letters missing, and I would suggest changing it.

An alternate idea:

Since the original font used on the cards was the "Fight Club" movie title font, it gave some genuinely nice atmosphere. But I agree that the bad letters with missing chunks are a problem. Luckily most of the letters are fine and readable: looking at sample cards, it looks like only D and K seemed confusing. The other letters were all readable.

Long ago I was doing stuff with the Fight Club font and was also annoyed by the jarringly hard to read "K". So I simply manually added the missing (lower right) part of the K (a simple rectangle worked). That preserved the effect of the original font while making the text significantly more readable. So that's another possible approach...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Respondek
Poland
Pawonkow
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I did something like this once or twice, when I translated Twilight Imperium and Once Upon A Time to polish, and it was really a lot of work, so I think I'll pass on the Fight This font (it's not identical to what was used in the movie). I think I'll leave the cards as they are now, so the Fight This font will be visible on all backs.

I hope we'll be able to play it next time when we see each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zara2stra wrote:
I did something like this once or twice, when I translated Twilight Imperium and Once Upon A Time to polish, and it was really a lot of work

Yeah, I can imagine; I didn't modify the font itself, I just touched up the images (which had very little text, so it wasn't much work).

Quote:
I hope we'll be able to play it next time when we see each other.

In theory we should be at the next Pionek, barring schedule conflict disasters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Respondek
Poland
Pawonkow
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE! The game was approved You can find the link to the updated cards here: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/132260/fight-club-project...
If you already printed the cards, don't worry - there are no rule changes on the new cards, only some minor graphical tweaks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.