Popular Tags: [View All]
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If this is going to come out with more spells, then will this change the power level at tournaments as the months and years go on, just like in Magic? And if this is true, then isn't it just a different sort of money pit (non-randomized)?

Also, concerning the issues with play time I've been reading about, would it be difficult to play it with a chess clock?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
davidme wrote:
Also, concerning the issues with play time I've been reading about, would it be difficult to play it with a chess clock?

It would be darn near impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Guytan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it would be hard to time it. When we do demos and tournaments, we always cut it at 50 minutes.

It wouldn't be out of the question to put a timer on it. The Planning Phase would be a good place to do it if you want to really put some urgency into the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athos
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As people become more familiar with the game, the playing time will come down. This is a complex game and once you start internalizing some of the interactions, I can see the time coming down. I see the same thing happen with Magic when you get a new player playing it. The have to read and re-read the cards and they take a long time to make decisions. Once they become more familiar with the game, That decision time comes down considerably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvie Jarriell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't recommend a clock for someone's first game or two, but after that what about a clock where after the first person has selected their spells, the other player has a specific amount of time to finish their selection?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still sounds like they plan on ending games at 50 minutes before their natural end.

Also wondering if paying more and more over the months is going to increase a person's ability to remain competitive in tournaments...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvie Jarriell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidme wrote:
Still sounds like they plan on ending games at 50 minutes before their natural end.

Also wondering if paying more and more over the months is going to increase a person's ability to remain competitive in tournaments...?

I would think it's too early to tell, but up to a point having more cards to choose from is going to increase your competitiveness. Keep in mind that all mages have a spell point total so that competitiveness increase will be limited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfield came up with a point system for Magic too, but it was even more broken than Type 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.