Subject: I am really torn. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fujio Roan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I really want to ge this expansion for I have every expansion but timber peak.
I do know what's in timber peak. I studied it.
But I am not sure if I should buy TP because I also want to get zombicide.
I read all the reviews and although the minis of zombicide are nice, I am not sure how fun it is compared to LNOE. I don't like the cartoony characters graphic (although it is very nice quality) and it is very expensive compared to LNOE.
I am definitely a fan of LNOE, my decision of purchase is swayed.
Seems like alot of people like zombicide than LNOE too.

What to do guys?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, talk about a letdown, I thought for sure the subject line would continue in the post with:

... apart by zombies .

As for Zombiecide, do you NEED more zombie games? Yes, might be a silly question, but for me, LNOE fixes the need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can tell from reading a few reviews and session reports, Zombicide has some issues it needs to deal with. Something about game balance or 'samey' gameplay or something. I can't recall which to be honest, but I do recall whatever it is that I read told me to stay away for now. Not very specific IMO. Also, if you got Zombicide, one of the 2 will come out on top which means the other may just sit unplayed. Is that what you want? Imo, convince one of your game group buddies to get Zombicide and complete your LNOE collection if you enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex de Burgh
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have LNOE, GH, and Zombicide.

I'm looking to get rid of my LNOE games as I much prefer Zombicide. Having said that, it depends on what you like in a game.

LNOE player vs player,
Zombicide co-op everyone vs the zombies

LNOE lots of Luck (event cards, roll for movement, roll to spawn, my roll vs your roll in combat).
Zombicide more tactical (no event cards, use of action points for what a character can do, Zombie attacks not resolved by dice).

LNOE like a horror movie, set in small town with few zombies
Zombicide like an action movie/computer game (Dawn of the dead) set in a city with loads of Zombies.

LNOE usually just one type of Zombie
Zombicide regular Zombies, running Zombies, Tough Zombies, A big boss Zombie

LNOE few weapons lots of running away/surviving
Zombicide Lots of weapons, lots of combat and Zombie killing

If you want a fun action Zombie killing game go with Zombicide. If you want a more survival horror small town zombie game and don't mind (or like) a game involving a lot of luck go with LNOE.

Hope that helps. There is a lot of variety in Zombicide, your characters level up during the game and get new abilities as the Zombies become more dangerous and numerous. There is a scenario editor available for free download and the company that makes Zombicide has already posted a new scenario and a campaigen on their website and has started a competiton for fan made ones. Some people have needed clarification on some rules but if you understand LNOE you'll have no problems with Zombicide. Not having event cards also prevents arguments over how they read/play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice response AJ. It actually seems to me they are different enough to justify owning both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex de Burgh
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, if you don't mind owning more than one Zombie game you could happily have both.

They are both very different and feel as though they have a different theme (big action movie or small survivor horror).

The only reason I'm looking to drop LNOE is because I get frustrated by the luck factor. Too many games have seen a survivor become useless from bad move rolls or have had survivors draw guns only to miss and roll a 1 causing them to discard it the first time it was fired. On the other side Zombies can get ruined from bad spawn rolls etc (especially at the start). I also feel the event cards are overpowered and can be a hassle for new players to understand. If this doesn't bother you, no reason not to keep LNOE as well.

I like having multiple actions in Zombicide so a player dosen't get stuck only doing one thing on his/her turn. I also like having to decide what to spend those actions on (Should I search or have an extra attack or try to run away?).

I should probably stop praising Zombicide so much on the LNOE page but I really love this game and know some of the comments about people not understanding rules etc on BGG would have put me off buying it. Just want to make sure all the Zombie lovers don't pass over a great game without taking a look
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup great points AJ. I'm torn. Which game for you has the better memorable "moments"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex de Burgh
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memorable moments hmm...

Well with Zombicide you can't shoot into a zone that has another survivor in it without killing them (you would always hit the survivor first, then walkers, then fatties, then Abominations, then runners, unless you are a sniper). But if you use a melee weapon you can pick your targets. This has led to a lot of memorable moments when a fellow survivor has to switch his shotgun for his katana and run in to a zone full of zombies to try and save a team mate putting himself at risk if he fails.

Survivors can only take two wounds before dying which adds to the tension (It's usually impossible to heal during the game). If a zombie starts its turn in the same zone as a survivor it automatically wounds them (no dice roll, no way to avoid it, you're taking a wound) so you're always in danger.

The epic number of Zombies constantly heading towards you is memorable not to mention managing to put together the Molotov and blasting a zone full of 20+ zombies with it. The ability to lure zombies towards noise and away from someone trying to take an objectice or escape is also very cinematic.

For me Zombicide is my favourite but hopefully someone who prefers LNOE will list some of their favourite moments so you can get and feel for both. Despite the fact that I don't care for the LNOE event cards, the art is very cinematic/memorable.

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carroll Best
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Zombicide last week and so far, I'm enjoying it very much. Most of the issues that people have had comes from the instructions not always being very clear on all issues that comes up in the game.
I own all of the LNOE's - will have Timber Peak on Thursday as it's still with Fedex, so I can't tell you how this plays until then, but if you can afford it, get both!! The great thing about these games is that they each have different views/aspects in dealing with Zombies, both of which are fun.
I agree with AJ that LNOE is very random due to the dice, but in simulating a zombie apocalypse, many things may very well happen in a disjointed way. Many games depend on dice rolls, I've been on both sides of that argument, but I totally see AJ's point. I don't think that you will go wrong either way. LNOE has a advantage right now due to having been out for a few years and having so many expansions, which offers variety. Zombicide is the new kid on the block and having to strategize more instead of just killing everything (due to more zombies being released as your levels increase), does give Zombicide a more cinematic feel.
Anyway, Peer Pressure says, "get both!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex de Burgh
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really impressed that this thread hasn't descended into one of those 'this one's better you're stupid for liking that one, no this one's better you're stupid for liking that one' arguments that usually seem to happen on any internet forum.

Must be something to do with boardgamers or zombie fans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fujio Roan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
no aj i want a fair comparison btwn each game so i am liking that there's no "this game is better U SUCK".
this shows that we all like Good zombie games.
I am a dying fan of LNOE. but i still give chances for good game.
it seems like LNOE is Biohazard 1 and 2 (for americans resident evil1and 2)
and zombicide is left 4 dead.
i like both you know?
but i am a poor college student so i am very biased towards LNOE because i invested a lot in it.
i really wish i can play it so i can see for my self.
any body in socal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freemanaj86 wrote:
Memorable moments hmm...

Well with Zombicide you can't shoot into a zone that has another survivor in it without killing them (you would always hit the survivor first, then walkers, then fatties, then Abominations, then runners, unless you are a sniper). But if you use a melee weapon you can pick your targets. This has led to a lot of memorable moments when a fellow survivor has to switch his shotgun for his katana and run in to a zone full of zombies to try and save a team mate putting himself at risk if he fails.

Survivors can only take two wounds before dying which adds to the tension (It's usually impossible to heal during the game). If a zombie starts its turn in the same zone as a survivor it automatically wounds them (no dice roll, no way to avoid it, you're taking a wound) so you're always in danger.

The epic number of Zombies constantly heading towards you is memorable not to mention managing to put together the Molotov and blasting a zone full of 20+ zombies with it. The ability to lure zombies towards noise and away from someone trying to take an objectice or escape is also very cinematic.

For me Zombicide is my favourite but hopefully someone who prefers LNOE will list some of their favourite moments so you can get and feel for both. Despite the fact that I don't care for the LNOE event cards, the art is very cinematic/memorable.

Hope this helps

NICE. Great post AJ. Exactly what I was lookin for.

To contribute, I've only played LNOE and I've only played it once. My most memorable moment of that game was (not knowing the cards of the zombies), getting caught flat-footed by the titular "Last Night on Earth" card which I thought was hilarious haha.

So yeah. LNOE has its moments. But I dunno how many more moments like that does it have.

Also, I concur that I really appreciate the constructive nature of this thread. Thanks everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renee McIntyre
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, having read about zombicide I haven't been interested, but your comments are making me think I should add it to my christmas list. I love LNOE and in my gaming expeiriences thus far I have had many memorable moments with it, all is lost for heroes when a lucky gasoline shot kills enough for heroes to live. Or death is on a hero and they grab an awesome weapon to fend off zombies.

Really the post should be what do you get first. As they both are similarly themed, but games are rarely comparable. Since you have a lot invested in LNOE you might as well get timber peak as it appears to be a little more fast paced and brutal, and then save up the bucks for zombicide since it's twice the cost for the game. In the end money always decides for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freemanaj86 wrote:
The epic number of Zombies constantly heading towards you is memorable not to mention managing to put together the Molotov and blasting a zone full of 20+ zombies with it.

I absolutely love the narrative that comes out in a game of LNOE with the various event cards, but the one thing that I don't care for in that game is that the zombies' spawning slows down as more of them are put on the board, whereas in Zombicide they keep coming out in larger and larger numbers.

It's like the difference between the creeping horror of zombie movies from the 60s through the 80s vs the tense and panic-filled running battles of the 90s and onward. Both are great, and sometimes you want one over the other, but there's absolutely room for both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carroll Best
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
Both are great, and sometimes you want one over the other, but there's absolutely room for both.

That's exactly what I'm saying!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say there is room for three zombie games! I kickstarted Zpocalypse instead of zombicide and the rules are great.

Zpocalype is squad based and has 4 different game stages each day.

Scavenging, feed & fortify, something's happening and nightly combat.

Players are playing cooperative to survive and competitive as the team with the most victory points will win.

With the addon Zmaster a fifth player is added who will play the zombies with new game elements (upgrades, mutations).

I think it will be great fun.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/108665/zpocalypse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a strange twist of fate, a fellow gamer brought a copy of Zombicide on game night. I didn't expect it to be there, much less to play it.

But I was able to! Hehe. Now I can offer my opinion as someone who has played both LNOE and Zombicide.

That being said. I thought Zombicide was meh. It thought it was fiddly for such a simple game. Seems like I like the card play of and theme/flavor of LNOE more. I must admit that my game of Zombicide picked up and was better in the second half than at the start. That said, I was largely unimpressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It might just be me, and it depends on your gaming group, but even IF Zombicide is a pretty good game, I tend to find I get more play out of PvP games than Co-op boardgames.

Co-op can ben fun for a few games, but it's difficult to replace playing against real players.

(p.s. I haven't played Zombicide).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Everly
United States
California
flag msg tools
I played Zombicide for the first time last weekend. For the most part, I had fun... That was until one of my partners decided he could turn on a car and leave the motor running, thus luring any and all zombies to the empty car. For me, the tension disappeared after that. Suddenly, there was no danger; no chance of defeat. It just seems to me like there's more freedom to "cheat" with the zombies in Zombicide. Because, after all, you're the one controlling them, and you obviously want your heroes to win. So my first impression of Zombicide was that it's a game where you're never in danger of being killed if there's a car on the board and the scenario allows you to drive it. But you know what? I'll play it again... but I'll have to house rule the heck out of it, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.