Jeremy Linnell
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
(Cross posted with the Khazad-Dum forum)

So I've had the LOTR LCG for a year and am in the mood for an expansion. Which one do you think if more enjoyable for a player of a single core set, no other expansions (I.e whatever I buy will be my first add on for the core set)

Cheers
Jez

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got both for my birthday from my wife and I haven't had a chance to play them both yet. If I had to pick just one.. hmm, would be hard as KD is begging for more quest decks, but the Hobbit is only this first half of the book. The 2nd part is coming out Q4 2012.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...

So, if you are going to get the Hobbit be aware that you will most likely want to buy the 2nd part. For KD, I think the 3 quests with it look fun by themselves but the Dwarrowdelf cycle of adventure packs will be calling you as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i ordered both..

those hobbit saga seems more thematic, but i certainly would want to enter moria with KD

so if you love The Hobbit story, go for hobbit

if you love dwarves and moria, go for KD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Linnell
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So basically it comes down thematic preference, and in terms of gameplay I'll have as much fun with either. Sweet Can't afford both sadly, I'm just about to become a student again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend the Hobbit expansion over KD if you're just planning on buying one thing. The Hobbit gives you more heroes and IMO more interesting player cards, so your deck building options will be greater with the Hobbit. Also, I find the Hobbit quests to be more varied in the way they play. The KD quests are primarily fighting, while the Hobbit has some interesting twists with the riddles, the sack cards, the giants, and the treasure cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Khazad-Dum also has a bunch of encounter decks in it that are NOT USED for KD, but are meant to be played with other cycle packs from Dwarrodelf. So unless you are getting that cycle, your money is best spent on The Hobbit.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Linnell
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
Khazad-Dum also has a bunch of encounter decks in it that are NOT USED for KD, but are meant to be played with other cycle packs from Dwarrodelf. So unless you are getting that cycle, your money is best spent on The Hobbit.

Jorune

I thought it was only one "set" of encounter cards. The mountains ones I believe. And, to play devil's advocate, should I ever wish to buy an adventure pack from that cycle I will need KD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Burkett
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we're forgetting one crucial element here -- Others feel free to weigh in on this, but if you are only using the base set and The Hobbit, I think the quests are going to be pretty dang difficult. KD seems to be a bit more forgiving in the difficulty department, if you don't necessarily have a lot of expansions to build a stronger deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard for me to say which quests are more difficult with just the core set cards since I haven't used just those cards since Hunt for Gollum released, but I don't think there's too big a difference in difficulty between the two. Plus, I feel like you can build better decks with the player cards included in the Hobbit than you can with those in KD. Plus you get a new Gandalf in the Hobbit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grex22 wrote:
Well, we're forgetting one crucial element here -- Others feel free to weigh in on this, but if you are only using the base set and The Hobbit, I think the quests are going to be pretty dang difficult. KD seems to be a bit more forgiving in the difficulty department, if you don't necessarily have a lot of expansions to build a stronger deck.

I was thinking about this myself as I was reading. I hardly think of KD as being "forgiving" when using only a core set. In solo play, I think I have been punished more in "Into the Pit" than any other scenario on the market. I still shudder when I think of that beastly encounter deck. 7th Level is much harder than posted as well.

I have only played one scenario of Hobbit so far, Conflict at the Carrock v2.0. If you employ much the same strategy it's beatable. I also have 1 of everything released so it is hard to say.

Honestly, they are both so thematic and so much fun, I couldn't imagine not having both. The Hobbit is probably the most fun set released to date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Kazadum!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a standalone product, I would recommend the Hobbit. You get so many more options. The additional heroes (5 vs. 2) would already be the decisive point for me. Add the campaign with Treasure cards, and the Hobbit seems like an obvious choice.

However, keep in mind that Khazad-dum is a requirement if (when) you decide to take one of the Dwarrowdelf packs from the store shelf. Then again, instead of buying a pack, you might as well add another 15 bucks to get the Hobbit.

Either way, you can't go wrong. Both are great expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
János Lacza
Hungary
Ballószög
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Khazad-Dum, but definitely will buy The Hobbit as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a lot of Hobbit scanarios, but I have allways had soft spot for The Hobit, so it is the theme for me that I count Hobit expansion more valuable! I have both, but Hobit gets more playing time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.