Clippers» Forums » General

Subject: How Does Clippers Compare to Chicago Express and Airlines Europe? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
...game pleasure in wood
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen Clippers compared to Chicago Express and Airlines Europe. Do either of these newer games render Clippers obsolete, or is Clippers still worthwhile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
They are very different as those are both stock games revolving around the value of companies, while in Clippers the connection game revolves around the value of nodes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...game pleasure in wood
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So why do you think the comparisons were made then? Are there other similarities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
blindsorrow wrote:
So why do you think the comparisons were made then?

Because the speakers/writers were confused and/or incompetent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
blindsorrow wrote:
So why do you think the comparisons were made then? Are there other similarities?

All three games have 'companies' that don't belong to individual players building routes across a map. In Chicago Express and Airlines Europe, players invest in shares in the different companies, and the value of those shares is based on the nodes the companies connect to. In Clippers, players invest in the nodes, and the value of their investment depends on how many companies connect to that node.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...game pleasure in wood
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
blindsorrow wrote:

All three games have 'companies' that don't belong to individual players building routes across a map. In Chicago Express and Airlines Europe, players invest in shares in the different companies, and the value of those shares is based on the nodes the companies connect to. In Clippers, players invest in the nodes, and the value of their investment depends on how many companies connect to that node.

So the mechanics different enough to overshadow the similarities so the the games aren't. redundant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
The mechanics are different and the gameplay considerations are very different. They can only be redundant if you define redundancy by surface similarities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...game pleasure in wood
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
The mechanics are different and the gameplay considerations are very different. They can only be redundant if you define redundancy by surface similarities.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like Clippers will have its unique spot in the collection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.